Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Pondering manual build mode and structural shortcuts

Discussion in 'General' started by Vrmithrax, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I did a little searching on the topic, but never saw a conversation that fit what I'm thinking about, so here goes...

I've been contemplating the build process that will be required when manual mode (like survival) begins, and wondering something. So you have this rigid structure to weld to, for constructing your ships and such. I wonder if it's going to be required to build all 6 sides of each block to maintain structural integrity, or if you can just slap plate on the "outside" surfaces. In theory, that would save a massive amount of weight if you did this in many locations around your ship structure. Of course, it would also create weaknesses - a bullet that penetrates the outer plate on a block would theoretically have another plate to penetrate before it passed to the next build layer, if blocks were built "complete" for example. So you have less protection, but the weight could be substantially lighter than that calculated in Creative mode, where it's assuming a complete full (6 sides covered) armor block for each piece.

If you don't need to cover it all, you could theoretically have a skeletal structure with just some basic plate covers in the critical areas, and leave it open on the places where armor isn't absolutely required. Could make for some interesting looking patchwork ships! Heh. But, I have to wonder, will there be other penalties for building like this, such as the ship wiring not passing through incomplete blocks, etc.

Anyhow, just some random musings I had while watching videos and thinking about how people will be maximizing their resource/refining/building performance, wondered if anyone else was thinking about this (or had already discussed it, and I just missed the threads on it).

2. AedanXaelan Apprentice Engineer

Interesting thoughts. I would assume that welding a block would just complete all 6 sides at the same time. If this were not the case, multi-layered blocks (2-3+ layers of armor) would be impossible to complete. Not to mention, having to weld all 6 sides individually would increase the build time of ships 5-fold.

3. chilypepper Trainee Engineer

Manual build sounds like completing a small ship would take an entire day regardless, placing and welding every single block.

4. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I had similar thoughts when I was pondering all of this... Watching the videos closely where welding is shown, it looks like the whole block is completed in one shot, so it's likely not possible to do single plates on blocks. However, I have to wonder, what would happen if a block was left in frame mode only? Does power and data still travel through the skeletal framework, or does the block have to be 100% armored for it to be structurally useful? Thinking of some builds where I might like to have the metal scaffolding structure visible and functional around a ship... Not exactly a combat-efficient design, but might be interesting for more "industrial" ship & station designs.

5. Vermillion Senior Engineer

In the 64 map we get, the ship frame is in that one. You can test out whether it can take power and force.

From what i've tested with it so far, it seems to be indestructible to collisions, but not to explosions and can transmit power.

6. Azan Trainee Engineer

In my opinion the manual build process will be the same as the creative one, the only difference is that after placing a block you get the metal outer truss instead and you then need to fill it in with whatever parts the block needs. Each block will likely have a parts list that needs to be filled in.

I assume parts will simply have to be in your inventory and they will be used automatically as you use the welder on the block.

7. AstTheCat Trainee Engineer

Azan's probably right. Would take ages to finish a large ship otherwise.

Edit:

I don't know when will they release the manual mode but I really hope it'll be on this week. Hype levels reaching critical threshold.

8. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

At the current time they have a model that acts to all sides same time. Ive messed with the damage level in the save game file to see this. I use them in some builds more for esthetic reasons. I haven't had any power problems using these.

I would like it if we could weld just one side.

9. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

You know, it would be great if we could just stick with the "light armor" blocks as the base, and slap a heavy armor "plate" on the exposed surface of any finished block we want... Realistically, that's kind of how you would build anyhow, not using a massively heavy block with super thick plating on all 6 sides - a full heavy block would be rather a waste of resources for anything but the heaviest battleships, I would think. Would be an interesting option to allow for fairly light and nimble, but decently armored, frigates.

10. Azan Trainee Engineer

I think that's unlikely as the system is built around voxels so adding in something outside that system would be awkward and time consuming. The easiest and simplest choice is just to create a heavy armour block.

As for whether it will be a waste of resources in-game, that comes down to balancing and doesn't draw directly from the real life comparison.

EDIT: Should add you could have a heavy armour plate which still occupies 1 block but which is only a plate, however functionally it would be identical to having a single whole armour block, wouldn't be much more than an aesthetic thing.

11. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I'd have to disagree there, because the game has had a prime example of a surface-addition component from the day it hit early release: the interior light. That is a part that slaps onto an existing block component. And that part is even more complex than just plating, since it also has to track power and on/off states. So, many of the mechanics already exist for basic plating, in theory, it would just have to be incorporated in.

12. Grim Apprentice Engineer

It's a shame that surface light takes up an entire space.

13. Azan Trainee Engineer

It's still a block, and I did suggest that. Read what I wrote after my edit:

"Should add you could have a heavy armour plate which still occupies 1 block but which is only a plate, however functionally it would be identical to having a single whole armour block, wouldn't be much more than an aesthetic thing."

It's not possible to place two of them in the same space, making armour with the same system would therefore be cumbersome since any concave corner areas would only allow you to place armour on one side leaving one or more sides exposed.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.