Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Power Routing and Management Tab

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Enigmus, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Enigmus Trainee Engineer

As we all know, power management is still screwy and while that should be fixed I suggest we add some engineering elements that would help in the short term. I suggest that a Power Routing and Management tab be added to the console that would allow us to Prioritize, Manage, and Route power.

Examples:
    1. Routing -> A specific Battery will only power the Medbay and Nothing else.
    2. Prioritize -> at 30 Minutes of fuel remaining the Refinery and Assembler will be powered off.
    3. Manage -> A display of all power consuming items and there draw with the ability to select and deny power to certain items as groups (Like the Conveyors which currently do not have an off switch)

This is a quick suggestion. while this may not be a simple add, even with power working as intended this would add a new depth to the game that I believe would be useful.

• Agree Agree x 11
  2. sioxernic Senior Engineer

A good idea that would allow this while being easier to setup would probably be "Power Grid Selection".

Basically let us just say that we have 5 "Power Grids". They would be named A-B-C-D-E.
    Any powered block can have none of them selected (meaning they will be powered by any power source which has none selected).
    Any powered block can select one or more power grids (Maybe for simplicity sake we could say only one power grid if it is to tough to program) to draw power from.
    Any power source can select on or more power grids to power, if none is selected it will attempt to power everything.

EDIT: Batteries are both considered a powered block and a power source so they would have access to both the draw power from as well as what grids they would give power.

This would allow you to partly do something like you want while still being very simple to the end user. Conveyors could basically be set to draw power only from the none selected options which would basically mean you can turn off the conveyors that way.

Prioritize I think should be left solely in the scripting territory though because it is already quite possible to do that and I don't think the game would benefit from handing out the solution for all problems.

As long as this has the proper ingame script hooks some people could make some quite interesting power grids with this doing rapid prioritizing of power.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Grit Breather Junior Engineer

One small point, @sioxernic, batteries should have two selection options, one for input and one for output.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Probably yeah. Would allow some batteries set to charge and some to discharge at the same time without the fear of batteries charging batteries.
    (Although if you read my post you will notice it is implicitly implied though)

5. Grit Breather Junior Engineer

It's implied but batteries are special in the fact they they both consume and supply. It is important to specifically point that out to avoid later mistakes.

6. sioxernic Senior Engineer

They are, that is indeed true. This would allow people that wants power management to have it while it would still be so simple that everyone would be able to understand it. Power management in general is not a "super" important aspect of SE though considering how it works and you can turn on / off stuff in groups although it would still be a nice and welcome addition especially if it is script accessible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Enigmus Trainee Engineer

It has been a few months since posting this. There have been no new power management options added to the game. I think sioxernic has put forward some good ideas for working the problem. I wanted to bump this and see if anyone had any additional thoughts on the issue.

8. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

Suppose all blocks that produce or consume power had one additional option: select which power bus the block is connected to (batteries would get 2 selections). Then suppose power bus management happened in the terminal screen of a new block, called "Power Management" block.

This new block's terminal screen would have options allowing the player to create power buses or merge them (a "default" power bus always exists on each grid). The buses would behave like block groups when connecting/separating ships. The block's 'detailed info' could show power usage for each bus.

This "power management as a new block" approach would not require changing the UI, which it seems Keen is loath to do.

9. Enigmus Trainee Engineer

I'm not convinced it is less work to develop a new block then it is a new tab. New tabs have been added to the terminal severial times during development. While I would take power management in either version, I feel that power management is something that should be a universal feature rather then a built-on ability.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.