Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Practice Makes Perfect

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by iN5URG3NT, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Hello Engineers. Somebody recently commented on one of my Workshop uploads that my new ship reminded him of one of my older ones. I was kind of surprised that he had noticed, but he was right, my new Vulture Missile Boat had a similar role and shape to my old Kingfisher Torpedo Boat. Since I'd not really looked at my oldest ships for a while, I thought I'd stick them next to each other and compare:

[​IMG]

Wow, what a difference 1500 hours makes right? You think the one on the left is ugly? Me too, you should see it without paint! :D

So I thought for a bit of fun I'd start a thread about player skill progression. If you're up for it, post one of your old ships next to one of your newer ones. Maybe you'll surprise yourself. One picture per two ships please, but feel free to post more if you use the spoiler tab.

Lets see how far we've all progressed in the last few years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

Difference between those shoud be about 500h:

Sadly I do not have pictures of the first version but of the second...

..and what became of it...

...still not finished the MKIII version though. A lot of that progress was made possible through modding! I am also just starting to implement more scipts in to my design as of late because I like to wait till such technology is well documented and userfriendly, shout out to @Whiplash141 for his work! This rocket guidiance systems work like a charm!

PS: Nice post idea ^^

• Like Like x 3
  3. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

On the left: My most recent cap ship
    On the right: My earliest cap ship

[​IMG]

Fun fact: The right one was built from the ground up, the left one wasn't.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

First ever death cube:

[​IMG]

Most recent death cube:

[​IMG]

Welp :(

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Surge- what's interesting is that they're totally unique, but I could instantly recognize both as Hyperion ships. It's almost like looking at a car model that's lasted through the decades. They're both different, and they both totally reflect the era which they come from, but they're both uniquely beautiful in their own different ways.

Edit: it also totally outclassed my new littoral corvette in about every way possible during testing. This has prompted a minor existential crisis and a major redesign.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Well thanks @The Churrosaur

There will be another chance to compare on Monday, the two ships I'm releasing are replacements for the venerable Tiger Corvette.

P.S. Full Hydro on FAC is win.

7. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I have something similar to show.
    Here is my first bipedal step.

And here is my current speed record of 82 km/h

And here is what i am currently working on

A little fail. Just remembered that actuqlly was not my first bipedal step. Sadly that exact thing was such an abomination i dis not take any vidros from it :,D

• Like Like x 2
  8. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Totally.
    You settled into a unique style pretty quickly it seems, but I think the consistency in sticking to it has really paid off.

My own example:

Original Gemini concept:
    [​IMG]

13 months later:
    [​IMG]

Most of anything I've made in the last 1.5 years has a fairly consistent color scheme/style..
    Latest:
    [​IMG]

What a difference.. All I can say is to keep making stuff, practice, try to pin down what you like or don't like about your ships, and other people's ships.
    A consistent style may help your ships be identifiable to the regulars, and give direction when fleshing out a new ship.. but it's equally important to not be rushed into it or pinned down by it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

Surge's before pictures look better than my after pictures ......

10. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

I'm glad that i saved almost all of my ships, now that this thread is up.

[​IMG]

The first one is my biggest ship ever and was released a few weeks ago, the phallic ship was built a monthe before planets came out, and the bottom ship was built in survival in a very eraly stage of this mode

edit: if i think about it i changed my style a lot. a whole lot. from a battlebrick to very organic to rustbucket

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Howitz Junior Engineer

Dont you guys forget the new blocks added over time...

12. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

This is the absolute first screenshot I found of my Hydra when it was still unnamed.
    It was possible to form the shape of the cockpit the way I intended with the new implemented glass parts back in the days...
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=259325805
    [​IMG]

And this is the last update for this old design, a scout ship, able to reach every spot in the SE universe:

[​IMG]

Edit: Seeing this post now, I have to admit, that not much at all changed with this ship. Maybe I'll look for another example...

• Like Like x 2
  13. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

[​IMG]

What is the next ship coming off my production lines?
    [​IMG]
    SURPRISE! Its Another Triton!

• Like Like x 2
  14. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

Ok, I have a better example but its kinda long story, so if you dont feel like reading, just read the TL;DR.
    I am unable to recover those old world files, so I'll have to work with old screenshots, but that's fine, I even find it more entertaining.

[​IMG]
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=217655031

So this is a really old screen shot of mine, January 2014.
    Dont pay attention to that small ship in front, that possibly looks like on of my newer drones by any means...
    Have instead a closer look at the green ship on the left. Took me quite a long time to build it back then, it was some kind of an homage to the Star Citizen carrier (dont remember the name, but I was totally hyped seeing the trailer for the first time then, even talking in the comments of it...)

Here you have another picture of the carrier with my old city build next to it..

Well over time i somehow decided that green isn't a nice color (why???), so I changed it to grey/red and had a quick idea: what if I cut those engine nacelles off the carrier and rotate it by 90 degrees?
    I guess you see what I mean, I basically did the above and copied the old "bridge" using it as a "wing" for the new ship in the rear. A little bit more work on the new created cruiser and it doesn't look so bad anymore... Fun Fact: this is the ship I used to recreate a scene of Halo:CE, the opening scene of the arrival on the Ring. I used a giant ring created by beesoldier, and the scene was so perfect, of course I had to crash land the Autumn on the ring. RIP in piece, Keyes.

Basically it was this day when I really started to get attached to this building style, so many of my other builds still follow in some way that Haloish style. However the weeks passed until winter 2014 and I continued refining the designs of that carrier and cruiser.

In January 2015 I released the carrier as Callisto-class on the workshop, and I was really damn proud of it. I got an (in my terms) overwhelming amount of feedback and this maybe was the point when building for the workshop became a passion and a contest for me like for many others.

So I also started working on the cruiser, to release it on the workshop, but it needed a lot of refining. Since it didnt have such a big hangar it simply was too big, it had too much unused space inside. So I cut it in half in the y-axis, deleted one layer of blocks and put the halves back together. Same procedure with the x-axis, but still not enough. So again: y-axis, cut in half, delete one layer of armor, put together and I had a good size to make a ship that can pack a punch and doesnt move too sluggish...
    The ship was the Cerberus, and the UNSC style somehow continued...
    But the competition on the workshop goes on, more ships, better ships, new ballistic weapons, new armor designs to counter it, the show must go on...
    I wanted to build a new ship, I really wanted to make it heavy and resilient against rockets, but I really really hated the appearance of heavy armor. It just didnt look right in my eyes. I played a bit with colors, and found out, that very dark colors and very light colors dont have the camouflage on the heavy armor, nice! But damn, I dont want to build my ships from now on in white and/or black. So, maybe it is viable to build a ship out of heavy armor and put a second more decorative layer of light armor over it. Well its nice to look at.
    Somehow I really got attached to that "spaced armor" thing, i used this concept on most of my heavier builds. One after another ship get updated in my fleet collection and all of them come to the new style. First the cruiser/destroyer "Cerberus" is updated in Mid 2015, the ship is in fact build new from scratch but I decided to keep the designation since the role is the same. And the name is catchy...

Then in 2016 I released the new "Callisto" but I didnt like the name too much, so I came to a new name for a ship of the same role. The Europa. It was my biggest ship to date and took me a very long time to finish since I am not really good at "planned building". I do many things twice or end up with a room or space without any feature or purpose, I really care much, maybe too much about shape and form of the silhouette.
    So in fact, I started with one ship (above in green) that has been inspired by Star Citizen and recreated with my limited abilities and ended up with two ships in the last picture. The Cerberus and the Europa (ex-Callisto). Well SE took us all on a long journey I guess. Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading.

[​IMG]

TL;DR:
    Dude starts with one green ship and ends up with two grey/red ships three years later.

• Like Like x 5
  15. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

The Star citicen carrier is the Bengal class and one of my next projekts I want to tackle after my refurbishing of the small ship purrfect constellation calss. And interesting History! It really keeps track of your progress!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

@JD.Horx is that 'Cerberus'-class Destroyer the same one as the random pirate ships that can show up? If so (after looking at it in your workshop), I'm glad I ran from it instead of going in for a closer investigation :D

17. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

Well, hear's my first little large ship, from my workshop records at least, from Dec. 15, 2014.
    [​IMG]
    I also have three massive beasts I put up before this, but I'll stick with the more common ships sizes I do. These next two are also for Dec. 2014.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The fighter has A LOT of empty space, but I really liked the carrier, just couldn't update it when hanger doors came out.

Then here's the small freighter a year later.
    [​IMG]
    Then we have a fighter posted in May, with no empty space.
    [​IMG]
    Nice, small, more compact. Then, since I haven't taken any shots of my latest carrier, a destroyer of mine.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about embedding my turrets and'll take field of view any day of the week. Actually, just realized you can see the first prototype of my carrier in the background. Basically a box with engines, but that was on purpose, so I'm not that sad about it. Some I've pretty much gone from a "flat face" style to...well...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I guess I don't have a set style. Just go with whatever I'm making.

18. Sarekh Senior Engineer

My oldest large ship was the Desolator Class frigate - she has the wonderful privilege of being even more brick-like than the other ships I build. And I can actually provide a video about her design evolution!

19. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Here's another comparison of then and now:

[​IMG]

Both are simple direct attack Corvettes. The Tiger (Left) was built about eighteen months ago. The Puma (Right) was built about six months ago.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

Unfortunately i've lost the pictures of my hideous first few ships. never published them for lack of beauty. I think the difference is seen fairly clearly in these pictures though. Over time, my ships have tended to get smaller and more efficient, where earlier ones were more about achieving a certain look. Over time i learned better how to combine aesthetics and function...

21. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

New:

[​IMG]

Old:

[​IMG]

I never considered my old stuff as really ugly, more like much more ... improveable, in terms of details exspecially.

• Like Like x 2
  22. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

I don't know, tyriosh, I like the sort of '70s-esque simplicity of your old ships too. Remind me of old sci-fi book covers.

23. Howitz Junior Engineer

I do remember some giant red anvil large ship of yours used for ramming, very ugly too haha

24. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I made a few changes in my design aesthetic over time as can be seen in my Komodo :)

Me learning how to code allowed me to retask the Komodo from a short range gravity torpedo ship to a long range Guided Missile Destroyer :D

EDIT: I just realized that I took these images at the same angle! I guess my photo taking hasn't changed :p

• Like Like x 1
  25. tyriael_soban Apprentice Engineer

This was the first thing i guess i "built" it was a very heavily modified mining carriage, gutted the entire thing and rebuilt it - made it airtight, modified the cargo system, gravity based ore ejection system and a rotating drill head that caused me no end of problems, it crashed into my station while i was afk one evening.

I didnt do much till planets hit, then i built this monstrosity with the truck based on a design w4stedspace used in his survival basics series, i only recently figured out why the 5th wheel and trailer wouldnt behave itself while i was working with a more advanced project.

Which evolved into;
    i'm not even going to talk about the Atlas dropship i built at about the same time ...

and then there is also my ludicrously large, heavily modified base on wheels that i dont think i ever finished ...

these two followed just at the closing of spring this year, the yellow one was a light scout/glider with atmospheric wings - but it nolonger works as the wheel mod i was using is MIA, the other is an interplanetary shuttle i called "Puddle Jumper."

Most recent, as in i finished it off today after leaving it on a shelf for about 3 weeks ... its called "Skyhook" and is designed to drop things a little closer to the action, i've yet to upload it as it is unpainted.

Honestly, i'm gonna admit it upfront ... im horrible with cosmetic builds, most of what ive concepted is on paper and its pretty simple stuff, no frills, practical not pretty ...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

boy does this remind me of the minecraft dirt house thing. :)

never really when for style in SE ships....

mostly because I'm a functional ship guy.

more style means more steal plating
    more steal plating means more weight
    more weight means more thrust needed
    more thrust needed means more parts
    more parts more weight more energy needed
    more energy needed more weight

so my ships look like crap mostly just the bear blocks needed to function. :>
    maybe soon but for now I'm content with crappy optimized functional ships

27. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Calculating your ships needs before hand really helps with this issue.

28. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

oh yeah speaking of that i got bored at work one day and made an excel spreadsheet to automated that.
    the only thing the user has to plug in is the ships weight then it'll display how many thrusts are needed to achieve useful lift.

usually ending in a decimal point.

I based the whole calculation off this image.

ship weight x gravity = N / divide by single thruster force = a number = round it up = thrusters needed.

might not be 100% perfect but it has yet to fail me! :D

29. tyriael_soban Apprentice Engineer

Dirt? You mean you didnt direwolf it with a 10x10x5 cobble box? :D

30. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

I gave up trying to make ships look pretty after I realized there was just no effective way to make something with a wall of gats look good unless you wrap an entire large ship around it like @iN5URG3NT did.

There will always be something of a major disconnect between min-maxed survival ships designed for dedicated survival and the pretty stuff people people which is survival compatible.

You can always build those ships in survival and they work very well, but they simply wont be as easy to build or work with as those blocky ships with liberally spammed production blocks organized to be as functional as possible.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.