Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Prograde and retrograde indicator

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Helghast, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Helghast Trainee Engineer

I would like extra indicators in space to indicate forward motion. This would make it possible to stop the ship when lateral thrusters are destroyed. It would also aid in navigation when flying through asteroid fields.

2. Leonhardt Senior Engineer

You can just turn around so your existing thrusters can activate and slow you down.

3. tomxp411 Apprentice Engineer

Prograde and retrograde only apply to orbital paths. Since we're not orbiting anything, you're probably looking for a velocity vector indicator. And we've been talking about that very thing in 2 other threads here. :)

Leonhardt, you can flip yourself tail-first to slow down, but doing so without a VVI is very inaccurate and hard to do. On the other hand, if you have a crosshair showing you exactly which way to thrust in order to stop, you can do so a lot more easily.

The only problem is that there's no throttle control on SE's engines. (That's something I suggested in another thread that didn't get a single response.) If we could adjust the amount of power an engine produces, we could do precision maneuvering without the need for the inertial dampener.

4. Jakejud Apprentice Engineer

If you think a throttle would eliminate the need for inertial dampeners, then go try and dock a ship in KSP with thrusters.
    But I do also want a throttle! the more control the better.

5. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

There are a few suggestions along this line in the pipeline already... I put up one quite a while back, looking for a movement vector indicator on the HUD to indicate current direction. The subject also came up in a suggestion about being able to flip 180 degrees (having the vector indicator lets you precisely align if you want to flip manually), and a radar/HUD suggestion.

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/movement-vectors-visible-in-the-hud-6610079

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/180-degree-flip-small-ships-6747417

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/radar-and-navigation-hud-6730237

As I mentioned in the other threads... Having feedback on your actual motion in space is one of the most basic pieces of navigational information in space flight, and it's actually a bit surprising that it's not already in the game - I mean, if we have it in all of our current space vehicles now, why would we devolve into needing to guess and fly by the seat of our pants in 70+ years? :p

6. DocTanner Junior Engineer

As this exact idea has come up in at least three other threads, and since those three threads are linked here and have active discussions in them, I'm locking this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.