Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Prograde and Retrograde Indicators

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by inventor200, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. inventor200 Apprentice Engineer

Okay, I might be one of the few people playing SE who loves keeping dampeners off.

The issue is (as far as I know) there's no way to tell EXACTLY which way you must face to slow your current velocity vector.

So: in addition to crosshairs, I would like to have two indicators that represent your movement direction, and "anti-movement direction". In other words, prograde and retrograde indicators.

By going into your control panel, these indicators could be turned on or off.

• Agree Agree x 30
    • Like Like x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Sliyther Trainee Engineer

I would also like this feature. Seems like something that should be in.
    when they get into navigation anyway. + 1 :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. MaxTheManiac Apprentice Engineer

Yes please this would be really useful. Maybe we could have a 3d ball in the cockpit with a pointer on it showing us the direction of travel exactly

4. Jones-250 Apprentice Engineer

As a KSP-veteran I voice my support for this.

To be a real space-fighter ace one must master the art of Newtonian Fighter Kung-Fu. Flying in one direction while blastin' a grot's face ┬┤round another. I currently manage without any indicator, but it would be quite helpful for a beginner that might consider a challenge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KissSh0t Master Engineer

It would be a cool feature if there was a world option to disable gyro's being able to control thrusters.

Kind of like a "hard-core" mode, that would be interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MaxTheManiac Apprentice Engineer

We have a small indication now due to the particles but i want something more obvious and it would really allow for some more complex and precise dogfighting maneuvers

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

For some applications, I could definitely support prograde and retrograde indicators, as well as horizon indicators, altimeter(if possible), and other useful features. I would like for there to be a way to toggle these indicators on/off per cockpit or camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. inventor200 Apprentice Engineer

I'm glad to see this idea having supporters! :3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Sofa Apprentice Engineer

With planets on the horizon, I think this could be especially useful for orbits.

10. Sinbad Senior Engineer

prograde and retrograde refer to orbits. what you are talking about is a vector indicator. also, +1

11. Castle Builder Trainee Engineer

I definitely think this should be added to the game, it gets quite hard to plot courses when you don't know the exact direction you're moving.

12. malteins Apprentice Engineer

+1
    Yes more navigational indicators needed.
    a) Velocity vector
    b) Prograde and Retrograde
    c) How about compass indicator for planet navigation?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Malware Master Engineer

I would much rather have a navigational ball than the irritating particles.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. PlanetS1de Apprentice Engineer

You should have thrusters facing all the directions.
    And what youre asking for is a navball.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  15. inventor200 Apprentice Engineer

What you're interpreting is a navball. The Space Engine uses an on-screen indicatator while KSP uses a navball. Space Engineers can go either way cause they'll all do the same thing, really. Lol.

Also I do have thrusters on all 6 sides; I'm not new to this game. I just don't like playing with inertial dampeners enabled, and I like to use cylindrical ships where the primary thrust is in back, rather than everywhere in general.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. PlanetS1de Apprentice Engineer

So you dont like the physics and youd rather invent a religion of not needing thrusters in all directions. Thats a good reason to not indulge your suggestion.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. inventor200 Apprentice Engineer

Lmao, I knew you'd respond like this. Have you ever met a forum user named Leonhardt?

First off, I find it less realistic physics-wise to even have a full-stop point in space. That breaks immersion for me completely, and makes the game too easy for navigation.

Also, it would hardly count as a religion. There is no structure, no founder, no observed holidays, no religious text. Buddhism doesn't have a god, but this inertial dampener idea doesn't even have that going for it either...
    You're making me out to be far more extreme and illogical about this than I really am.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. PlanetS1de Apprentice Engineer

Who told you is full stop? Its relative.
    Youre far too illogical and extreme already[...-removed by todes]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. inventor200 Apprentice Engineer

Point taken on your relativity argument.
    Though in-game 3D space and physics code say otherwise.

I could argue that you're being illogical and extreme too. The fact that you sound like you're being serious is absolutely hilarious right now. Do you honestly expect me to form a religion from a very simple indicator/navball idea?
    Also, state your facts please.
    The reality is that adding this feature shouldn't take a lot of effort because I've done it myself in C# (SE's source language) for another game, and there's no reason to deny 10 other people this feature just because you don't like my particular piloting style. You sound far more extreme and illogical than I do; denying a very simple wanted feature for 10 people, just because of your own personal views on piloting that I alone seem to be breaking. Especially when this feature would barely affect you as it is.

Hmmm... who does that remind me of...?
    And I'm the one implementing religious and extremist themes?

Keep posting; your comedy routine here is uncanny, lol...

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. PlanetS1de Apprentice Engineer

This code says its the sun which rotates around asteroids.

Navball might be fine, but adding it cuz you dont like to put thrusters in other than backwards directions isnt a good argument for it. Navball, or velocity vector indicator on hud.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. inventor200 Apprentice Engineer

I don't recall the game code setting 0,0,0 at the sun, because the sun is a skybox object and not a real physical one in this game, but okay...

Also, I have thrusters everywhere but most of them are in back.

EDIT: I want it added cause I fly with dampeners off, not because of thruster placement.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 4
  22. Ulfsark Master Engineer

I see absolutely no reason not to expand the hud to include many "space flight" features. Vectoring, target leading, a radar...

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. TodesRitter Moderator

Never really never, discuss or use religion as an expamle here, this will end bad.

24. PlanetS1de Apprentice Engineer

• Arguing with a moderator / Breaking forum rule 4.
    Thats the problem, son.
    I do to, yet i can handle it. I could, at least, when dampeners had 10x overdrive afterburner. Now i equalize more.

It wouldnt, if the humanity wasnt irrational.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. EternityTide Senior Engineer

The only one acting irrationally here, as far as I can see, is you, @PlanetS1de
    Always taking things to extremes, using hyperbole and slippery slope logic on a consistent basis for not including something in a game.
    Pipe the hell down for once, mate. Every time your name appears on a thread, contention follows.

• Agree Agree x 6
  26. Tayrtahn Trainee Engineer

Erm, the OP's not exactly demanding that indicators be added to accommodate his playstyle here. Sounds more like a suggestion for a pretty simple feature that would be useful in a lot of situations. Even with 6-way thrusters and inertial dampeners on, there's a fair amount of drifting that happens when changing directions, and a prograde (or whatever) indicator would make it easy to judge how much drifting is happening and better balance ship designs. I don't think I've built any ships that have perfectly symmetrical thrust in all directions, and yeah, it'd be nice to know which way to point the big thrusters when I need to make an emergency stop.
    I'm fairly certain the OP can "handle it" too. I didn't read anything where he complained about being unable to fly his ships due to his choice of thruster placement. I really don't see what's so controversial about adding a little icon to the HUD...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  27. SenorZorros Master Engineer

really...
    all this fighting over a screen indicator?
    that sounds a bit ridiculous. if you want to fight please go to the laser thread. this one is meant for agreements and hoping the devs will implement it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. malteins Apprentice Engineer

C'mon guys it's just a suggestion for some additional HUD elements.
    I'd be nice if one could eventually enable/disable the indicators by checkbox so people choose which ones they like!
    That should stop the fighting.

• Like Like x 2
  29. malteins Apprentice Engineer

Yes definetly!
    Even though one can still assume or visually calculate which way to turn the ship for counter-thrusting, sometimes assumptions are not enough. CRASH!!

Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. malteins Apprentice Engineer

BTW who is that guy? ???

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.