Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Prograde and Retrograde Indicators

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by inventor200, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Greyson_XMG Apprentice Engineer

I have been caterwauling for advanced navigation tools for years. So far KEEN has not budged in this direction beyond implementing the GPS thing, and that is beyond minimal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Achedb0b Trainee Engineer

This would be so useful, not only as a way of seeing where you're going, but where you need to point your thrusters in order to slow down. At the moment I have to either have modded super powerful braking thrusters or Just wing it and hope I'm pointing the right way for the main thrusters to slow me down. I think we should bug keen a bit more for this and other instruments. I'm sure a modder would be able to make it too if they added GUI and HUD support to the modding api.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. EstebanLB Trainee Engineer

I'm curious as to why they haven't added this simple but needed feature yet. Seeing for how long this suggestion has been lingering here, it's sad that there are still no news about this. But hey! now we have a animated helmet visor! yeay!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. sioxernic Senior Engineer

It is definitely something that the game does need since there is very few reference frames to see the direction you are going and the particles are just not consistent enough for you to see them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. inventor200 Apprentice Engineer

I'm surprised, happy, and flattered to see that people are still keeping this thread alive :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Suggestions which is something people agree to are usually very hard to keep alive. I know considering my suggestion doesn't get comments (there is nothing to really disagree with I guess?) but it did get quite a few likes for the very small amount of time it stayed on the first page.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Yeah, I know that feeling. People mostly just like and sometimes say neat idea and move on as there really isn't anything to bring to the table as they already agree with it/like the idea as is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. EstebanLB Trainee Engineer

And that's why a suggestion forum unattended like this doesn't do much for the game

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Yeah. Well I am all for free speech and such but if I am ever a game dev on a massive project with approx. 1.5m sales I would probably curate the suggestion boards specifically so to avoid all of the suggestions that weren't thought out, the empty ones, the total duplicates and so on wouldn't be there as well as showing support for the ones that would be put on the roadmap to show I cared. But yeah, would require some dedicated moderators. I am honestly sure if duplicates, useless: "Fix Rotors" style posts, lists of ideas and stuff in that vein was removed we would be looking at (just pure educated guess) of a collective 200 posts at most. That would be a much much more interesting way to have the suggestion board function since the discussions could actually be more prolonged and the community would have a better chance to get to something that seems more like a concensus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. EstebanLB Trainee Engineer

But then they would end up looking like the bad guys, what a shame. Low IQ people are ruining everything :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Depends how they would do it if anything although that is only what I would do and is nothing I would encourage Keen to do.
    EDIT: Also I think it is wrong to say it is Low IQ people because there are high IQ people that have just as terrible ideas as well are extremely bad at communicating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tyrantissar Trainee Engineer

Aye, my only input I could add after these horrible arguments is that I am in 100% support of additional navigation tools at my disposal to effectually maneuver without dampers on.

A cool trick I learned is that when you turn off dampers, it is also safe to turn off the thrusters as well to really save energy as long as you remember to turn it back on. (for long distance travel between planets.)

In fact, I used sensors on my ship that automatically turns on the thrusters when there are floating debris that is not a part of the ship or asteroids close by. (essentially an emergency brake system.) Thank you whoever implemented sensors in this game. At any time I can deactivate the safety in combat since I was concerned that assaulting forces can abuse/expoit these sensors, which thank god for control panels and convenient buttons.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  13. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, it's not that the suggestion forum is unattended, it just appears that way because the development team rarely posts, and moderators usually only post when things get out of hand. In some ways it's a good thing. Imagine what would happen if Keen made a big deal out of taking a suggestion and implementing it. The suggestion forum would explode and take down the whole internet. Players would be posting every nutty idea they could conjure up just in the hope Keen would at least acknowledge it. Anything even close to a good idea would never see the light of day.

I think it might be helpful if someone could come in and explain why some suggestions just could not be implemented because the engine couldn't handle it or something along those lines, although information like that still doesn't stop people from asking for stuff.

I'd like to think that ideas like this one that make sense and haven't caused an uproar have actually been run by the development team already and someone is quietly working on it. I remember shortly after planets came out that a lot of people were crash landing because they couldn't tell how close they were to the ground. I remember suggesting on at least two occasions that the game needed an altimeter. Maybe they saw my suggestion, maybe it was in the plan all along, but it happened.

Still a good idea to bump this, though. Just in case ;).

• Like Like x 1
  14. sioxernic Senior Engineer

We were discussing it based on the merit that the suggestion forum would be heavily curated though which can have its own merits since discussions could continue for quite a while and there wouldn't be a billion pages of posts buried in the past.

15. TheDuke540 Apprentice Engineer

I think it would be a good implementation as long as there was a way to switch it off for those who don't like it. I don't see how it would hurt anyone then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.