Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Programmable Block + Battery = Infinite Power?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Captain_Locke, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Captain_Locke Trainee Engineer

Having a bit of a problem in survival. It seems that if I'm in a ship powered by batteries that has a programmable block attached, it never actually uses power. I can fly around forever.

Anyone else running into this, or am I just crazy?

2. Roxette Senior Engineer

There must be more to it than this, as the current standard atmospheric spawnship has a programmable block and does use power. Maybe share the world or blueprint of the specific ship you experience this with ?

3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Captain_Locke are you sure you are in Survival Mode? But like posted above if you can provide more details maybe it can be sorted out on what is going on. :)

4. Captain_Locke Trainee Engineer

Sorry. Took me a little bit to pin it down.

Seems to only occur on Dedicated server.

Completely vanilla server, easy start earth used for test. Fresh game. Experimental Mode and In Game Scripting enabled. Survival.

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It’s magic! Like cold fusion.

6. Captain_Locke Trainee Engineer

Maybe there's a hidden

If (using power == true)
    {Don't;}

7. Malware Master Engineer

I can guarantee you that the PB is just incidental here. It doesn't have anything to do with the power system other than using power like so many other blocks

8. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

That video shows normal usage, at one point you have 11w of power drain and 4 batteries when landed and locked down. 11w is less than 3w per battery on that grid and the power drain on the battery information is in kW. Look near the end of the video when you jump into the cockpit, you must have pressed one of the movement keys which briefly fired the thrusters because your power time left went from years to minutes which would be about right.

9. Captain_Locke Trainee Engineer

The main issue is the fact that each battery is at 324KwHr when usage starts. I drain it down a bit by firing thrusters. When I exit the ship, the batteries magically recharge and are back to where they started. You can actually see that you aren't using any power if you have a power monitoring script plugged in, that's how I stumbled across this glitch in the first place.

Possibly, but after playing a few hundred hours on my DS i've only encountered this issued when a programmable block was installed on the ship. Every ship without the block behaves as expected.

10. Malware Master Engineer

Well, let's just say I know the programmable block very well. It's extremely unlikely, it doesn't do anything with power that other blocks don't do. It's incidental.

I have heard something about magic power with batteries somewhere before, though...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  11. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I know you said this was a fresh game, is it possible that you had set as Creative at first then switched it to Survival mode? Just trying to help figure it out more. As @Malware stated the PB should only use power for itself being on, it should not affect it in any other way, but Clang does work in strange ways!! :)

12. Captain_Locke Trainee Engineer

Yep, fresh Dedicated Server with no mods. Only Expirmental Mode and In Game Scripting enabled. You can see the battery drains normally if the Programmable Block is off, and only seems to reset when the block is on, even with no script loaded.

13. Malware Master Engineer

Must be some kind of MP synchronization issue. I have thousands of hours, favor electric vehicles, use PBs extensively and I've never seen this issue.

14. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I am currently at work, I would like to see if I can reproduce this myself. Will be later tonight. Will report back if it did the same for me.

15. Captain_Locke Trainee Engineer

I'd love to see this resolved, I enjoy playing SE in super tryhard mode with scarce resources and no reactors >>

If no one can reproduce this, I might try reinstalling. Might be some weird glitch with my copy

16. Malware Master Engineer

17. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I tried it out, and I could not reproduce the issue. Tried it a few times with Alien planet, Mars etc.

18. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I’m telling you...this is cold fusion all over again!

19. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

20. Calaban Junior Engineer

maybe I'm just stoopidstitious, but I would feel uneasy just flying around with free power.

Its like I would expect at any moment Clang would realize "oh, those batteries should have been at 0 hours ago, let me fix that for you..." the very moment my medbay is offline becasue I wanted to move it 1 block over.

21. Phoera Senior Engineer

at same time HUD says another data thou.

22. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Captain_Locke so I guess I have a little bit of good news that kind of supports your issue. As I stated in a previous post I was not able to reproduce your issue, but I was playing last night started a new Easy Earth Start (no mods or scripts).

Got me a small ship built using batteries, everything was working normally. Then I thought about this topic, I added a programmable block and things got strange. Before I placed the programmable block I had 20 minutes of power left. After adding the programmable block I was up to 46 minutes. I started flying and power should have started to fall but it increased to 2 hours of time left. I would come to a halt and was back at 46 minutes left. Any movement which used more power my time left went up.

It is very strange as the PB should not have any influence.... After work today, or maybe tomorrow, I will play around a bit more to see if I can figure it out.

23. Malware Master Engineer

I doublechecked. There really is no difference between the PB and, say, a conveyor sorter, deals with power. It's practically the exact same code. So, there must be something else going on.

24. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Malware I agree totally. I am not sure what is causing it. I am going to test with different blocks. My first few attempts I did not replicate the issue. There is some anomaly happening somewhere though, just trying to figure it out. :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. Malware Master Engineer

Well... since the conveyorsorter did have (near) the exact same code... how about testing with that? What if there's more than one block causing the issue?

26. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Malware I will test it later tonight or tomorrow. Currently at work and when I get off think I have some stuff to do with the kiddos, so I will post what I find asap. :)

• Like Like x 1
  27. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Ok so here is my update. I went back into the game and power levels were acting normally.. is an odd one and definitely not 100% reproducible.

Could it be part of a memory leak possibly? Or just Clang trying to reach through from his nether world? :)

28. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

Sounds like SE just being SE. I've logged in, hopped into a ship ... and no thrusters. Thrusters on: check, Not damaged: check, Fueled: check, Own everything: check, Landing gear detached: check. So I re-log and everything is fine :D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.