Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Proper planets and a true galaxy

Discussion in 'General' started by Nibs_1983, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. PLPM Junior Engineer

The forums were a wild place back then... People were annoyed when the 10x inventory didn´t make thrusters 10 times more powerful and even earlier, when missile launchers were no longer stackable...

I miss the stupidly powerful gattling guns.

I would bet everything that once SE´s code settles, modding will explode, that if it gets to the finish line alive :p

• Like Like x 2
  2. odizzido Junior Engineer

I certainly have plans to do some modding once the game is in a finished state. Working on stuff that will break every week is just bad times.
    --- Automerge ---
    I am not sure, but randomly generated crashed ships both on planets and asteroids, caves, and anything else they could think of would be a very welcome addition to the game for me.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

it would be extremely welcomed....if even to liven up planets a tad.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Under the current scheme it can't be done. Planets are generated with height maps. So you cannot place one voxel on top of another.

The work around is to use non-procedural voxels in conjunction with the procedural. So you could create a cave by placing custom asteroids inside of a planet and at the surface. But it's an expensive way to generate a cave.

5. Bumber Senior Engineer

Planets are large enough to make circumnavigating take a long time. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be large enough for regular-looking mountains.

Spawn in the Solar System world in creative, and it places you in a mountain range where all the mountains seem to be pointing out in separate directions. Really shows the curvature.

6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I saved some 2x and 3x planets before the great purge. The worlds still load. They can be transplanted to new worlds if you know what you're doing. I have a 2x and 3x Earth.

7. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

I would be perfectly happy if they reworked the atmospheric planets to have giant ice seas, so having a flat-belly sliding vessel or anything that looked naval would mean something. Just saying, I've only wanted ice seas from planets.

EDIT: And caves! Caves would be great. Lets go all minecraft up in here and go spelunking for ore.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Would you mind uploading them on steam?

9. Echillion Senior Engineer

For me the planets are big enough as they are but I would like more types of planets like Jupiter or Saturn or Neptune?

10. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

Those are gas giants... I don't know what you are wanting to do with those. People had a problem with KEEN using ice instead of actual water on planets, what do you want them to do for giant balls of gas?

11. quarior14 Trainee Engineer

For me, I like "real" planet size and galaxy but for people don't like, in World Option Generators you will be can change asteroids, moons (telluric and gas), planets (telluric and gas), stars (all types), black hole, accretion disk, rings, stellar system (all types, planemo include) and galaxies minimum and maximum size, the number minimum and maximum and propability for each objects and the gravity falloff by default (you will be can also place and edit objects of the size and its characteristics of your choise even if they are not the default ones in the world settings).

Next for planets, for this moment, we have trees, grass and plants but is just decorative so it would be nice to use them to have new resources (wood, grass, dirt, plantations for foods,...), make artificial atmosphere (for base and ship, maybe terraformation) and yes, having physics liquid (water, lava, acid,...) and gas on the planets would be even better but maybe is difficult to enforce.

Furthermore, cities and buildings (recent or in ruins) for each civilisations will be cool.

And for final if possible, maybe weather, natural disaster (see artificial) (like solar wind, volcano), temperature, orbit and rotation period.

I hope it will be implemented.

Have a nice day.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  12. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

i mea...oh wait that would utterly destroy framerates...worse than a million shadows

heh i was thinking of having tons of say invisible spheres or boxes with hitboxes that would emite fog or smoke being the "Gas"
    and you could build a specialized air vent that could capture this gas.

but of course...far too much to process. :p whats new?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.