Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

PSA: Space Engineers and Older Systems

Discussion in 'General' started by Clunas, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Clunas Junior Engineer

Thanks to @Mix-martes86 for bringing this up.

Space Engineers will cease support of XP, 32-bit, and DX9 sometime in March.

Before the forum explodes with all manner of threads, here is what you need to know if you don't want to read the official blog post entirely:

"For those who want to keep playing Space Engineers on Windows XP, 32-bit Windows and the DirectX 9 configuration, you can still enjoy the game by accessing your copy on Steam. There will be a message box when starting the game that asks you to change to supported hardware settings. If your system is not compatible with these settings, you will be asked to switch to a different branch that runs on DX9 or XP."

Older systems will have access to a feature frozen version of the game when this change goes though.

It'll likely be up to the modding community to create bug fixes for the legacy versions, but this is speculation on my part. This community is awesome though, and I have no doubt that they will be able to support the older version to some extent given time.

Hope this helps quell the coming storm :D

Edit: apparently some of my text molded lol

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

I half saw it coming, but am not entirely against it. As a game that is in development, it is time consuming to support older systems, and as the scope of the game grows it is often times necessary to leave older technologies behind. It stinks for those relying on older hardware sets who cant necessarily afford to upgrade, but its the cold reality of PC gaming vs console gaming, where every machine has the same static hardware set.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Clunas Junior Engineer

Agreed. I'm really glad that Keen is offering the feature frozen versions. A lot of companies would have just upgraded them out of use and left people on their own the make it work

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

Edited my original post to reflect this, as I didn't really think of the possible storm for people understanding a total cut-out without reading the post, thanks for the reminder. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

What kind of system could possibly get more than 10fps in this game and not support dx11?

Plus the game is in beta, there's no good reason to be worrying about legacy support at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  6. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

This is a blessing and a curse, a great positive is the devs wont have their time split between two branchs as they currently do.
    The bad will be people may not realize what is happening and can no longer play with their friends that have a more modern computer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Malware Master Engineer

According to Steam hardware and software survey, 2% uses XP. I would imagine translating that into Space Engineers players would yield an even lower number.

At least they'll still be able to play. That does fulfill the Early Access program requirement. While I sympathize with them, I must admit I symphatize more with the devs who have had to maintain two completely different rendering engines, plus all the graphics resources. That must have been hell.

It is about time to move away from XP for gaming purposes now.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. RayvenQ Moderator

It's right there in the Blog Post. According to their statistics, it affects 0.15% of players. But that small percentage is holding the developers back.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Intel HDs and AMD APUs. Aka fake GPUs. The drastically lower rendering load of DX9 coupled with the crappy shader support of integrated GPUs actually allows them to run the game decently in DX9, and completely choke on DX11.

10. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

Actually, apu gpus are based on the radeons and work ok ish. However, why the hell would someone buy a high performance game like SE if they didnt have a dedicated gpu. A 750ti is 120$ tops and can run on the shitty 300w psus in prebuilts, it runs off of the pcie slot, no external connector needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Ah, the older ones didn't. Nice that that concept is finally taking off.

And actually several such people have posted on these forums. :) Some people don't know how the insides of a computer work, or trusted the salesperson at Best Buy to know anything about them. One person had evidently been told that an older model APU was going to work as well as a dedicated GPU, but the thing benched like one tenth of an average card. Also laptops, with the added bonus that SE doesn't like them at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Clunas Junior Engineer

Well in my case, my desktop is more than capable of running SE. My laptop that I used through college is another matter. Having a legacy build will allow designing on the toaster while I'm on the road

13. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

Thats pretty much my setup too. Desktop PC has no problems at all, but my laptop is stuck in DX9. But that's alright.

14. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, I couldn't get the game to run on my Lenovo S10 anyway. It can't handle even W7 so it's getting Ubuntu (it's still a damn nice notebook. I'm not throwing it away). I was surprised they said they'd support XP after MS said they were not.

15. DDP-158 Master Engineer

I'm sad that it won't run on my still running 486 with windows 95 that's out in the garage.
    Maybe I'll pull one of the Ataris out of storage and see if it takes the disk.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

My father would have kept our 486 if it had managed to run Doom, C&C, MS Flight Simulator 5.1 and Starcraft without any hiccups. :D

17. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Mines got an older game on it. I can't remember the name of it but it's a third person like prince of Persia. All I remember from it is you can buy items from a cat person merchant for dirt cheap because he agrees to all negotiations, you train combat skills with a staff while standing on a log with your trainer, and there was a dinosaur mob in there somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

Yeah I saw that guy's post lol. And my 3.5 year old laptop has a GT650m 2GB GDDR5, it runs SE. Maybe not super well all the time, but it does run and I can play on planets. Then again I upped it to 12GB ram and put a 500GB SSD in it...

19. SirLANsalot Apprentice Engineer

Trying to game on a system that is over 6 or 7 years old, is like trying to play Halo on a N64.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Clunas Junior Engineer

I think it is about time for this to get a bump

21. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Didn't know we had a molding community? :woot:

Serious mode:
    I'm kind of looking forward to that. I'm starting to learn C, and I would like to be a contributor to moving that branch along for our DX9/XP brethren.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Clunas Junior Engineer

Thanks for noticing that lol

23. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Hahah no problem. :D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.