Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

PVP or PVE

Discussion in 'General' started by Bullet_Force, Sep 28, 2016.

?

Do you prefer PVE or PVP

1. PVE

78.8%
  2. PVP

21.2%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

Simple poll this one, what is your preferred playing style?

I've noticed this game seems to attract the PVE mentality, just wondering whether my assumptions are correct.

2. DDP-158 Master Engineer

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. halipatsui Senior Engineer

If pve is the main element it should be so owerhelming it is actually hard to stay alive

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Gamer logic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Maybe give your poll a bump DDP as it did well to get an idea of the playerbase.

6. Harrekin Master Engineer

I suspect the lack of PVP'ers is due to the somewhat poor multiplayer we have.

When server populations can handle more concurrent players there'll be more PVP players for sure.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Burillo Junior Engineer

neither. i don't want distractions while i'm building, neither wolves or pirates, nor other players pestering me. why do people always have to make about being "V" anything? can't we live in peace?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Because in pvp one can stomp others and taste the salty tearsof opposition. I generally prefer pvp because pve changes eventually to grinding in almost all cases. When you figure out how to raid a ship it is childsplay next time. Pvp makes you compete against creativity of others. Which provides entertaiment for much longer time

• Like Like x 1
  9. Burillo Junior Engineer

to each his own, i guess :) that's why i don't do online multiplayer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

The main issue I have with PVE at present is the lack of...er....E

We need more things out there, things helpful and harmful, esources to plunder and challenges to overcome.

At present....you can effectively defeat all the tricks the environment throws at you after relatively few game hours. Once you have a few basic resurces, upgraded your tools and got a few o2 and h2 bottles, got a basic refinery and assembly up and running....what challenges remain. That's usually when you start building that huge great lump of a ship, or craft a jump drive and go somewhere else to start all over again.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. sadpickle Trainee Engineer

I guess PVE, but the true answer is neither. SE does a very poor job of marrying it's construction sandbox with a compelling PVE/PVP experience. PVE is mostly boring, there's very little risk from cargo ship spawns, it's highly unlikely they will pass close enough to wherever you are to aggro on their own. They are mostly just there to give the illusion you're not in an empty box. On the flipside, the "Easy" start which gives you an antagonist is really goofy, the drones spawn so often that there's no hope of building a ship to counter it... it should be like every hour not every 5 minutes. Totally broken start imo.

As for PVP, well, the wonky netcode makes most dogfights a coin toss, either you get lucky and blow the cockpit or you don't. Building for the sake of building is a fools errand. Someone will find your shit and level it just to be dick. Such is the state of anarchy.

I only play this game for the building really, but even then my ambitious ideas tend to get squashed by issues with clang. I wish they'd put their efforts into making the game rock-solid instead of all this bullcrap with art assets, etc. I don't mind basic assets and simple textures. What I do mind is a game that never seems to get stable despite over a hundred "stability" patches.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  12. Malware Master Engineer

That happens every single week. I think you're underestimating the complexity of this game :p
    Do you really expect the art guys to go bug hunting? That's like asking a cook to fix a car engine... won't go well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. damoran Junior Engineer

I prefer letting the game change dynamically as it needs to. basically give us the option to cooperate or compete with appropriate tools like faction chat, faction warfare, faction alliances, a trade system etc.

with space being so large it's hard to say fighting over resources would really be a motivator, certainly cheaper to move to a new area rather than fight a war. but it's also fun to test your designs and piloting skills against others when ready

15. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

I would like more part diversity for PvP. We need flares, chaff, and guided missiles, in addition to actual radars and HUDs to keep track of targets. Right now he PvP is too arcadey and underdeveloped.

16. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

I would love to see both but a solid PvE is more important from a survivalist's perspective, PvP would be awesome on top of that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Watching Xocliw play Osiris on stream monday night really brought home to me what I think about the planet surface and it's environment.

It has 2 things we really would benefit from.

1) More fauna, including things like giant crab things and huge killer Death Worms that leap up from under the earth. In short, a bit more bio diversity and some of it pure and simple LETHAL. SAbirois are cool...but wolves. No sorry. Yuck. We need bio diversity. No planet has just one life form on it. I mean....what the hell do those wolves eat????? We need to be able to mod the fauna, add new fauna and have multiple types mooching about.

2) The fauna was confined to zones, meaning you could stay away from them and keep to relatively safe zones, but the choice minerals were in the areas where things got nastier. It means early game when you are vulnerable, you can stay out of the worst trouble. If you want to go exploring....you can... but you soon learn to watch the terrain and stay clear from dangerous areas unless you are equipped to deal with them.... You don't want to spend days building a base and have a worm flatten it.....but then again, if you build it on the sandy plains where the worms live.....tough. Your bad choice.

I would also like to see more variation in flora too. Sadly...the modding process for this seems to require a specific old version of 3DS Max as well as the Havoc tools. This probably explains why the workshop is full of planets, but they all either have no trees or use the stock ones.

We also need some random planet decoration stuff. I plan on having a crack at some myself once I figure out how to make them impossible to grind. Things like you see in Borderlands....those old massive skeletons, or bizarre rock formations that you can't make with voxels or heightmaps. Random stuff you can use to decorate a planet that doesn't have to be made out of blocks and placed. Just placed as eye-candy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. sadpickle Trainee Engineer

All I mean is, a dollar spent on art is a dollar not being spent on fixing persistent issues. There's only so many dollars to go around.

19. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

I'm pretty sure most if not all of the employees at Keen are paid a yearly salary. So how much they work doesn't really affect the money too much because it's already been preallocated by their financial department.

In the stream, one of the devs mentioned one of the art guys had been working for like 12 hours that day on the models.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Malware Master Engineer

Except if you start firing and hiring people like that you'll (a) get a seriously bad reputation, (b) quickly get the law on your back, depending on the laws of your country, and (c) the hiring process costs money on its own...

Keen has permanent employees, they don't hire people on commission. Ergo the cost will be the same no matter if the artists do work or not, so it's a serious waste of money (and talent) to have them twiddling their thumbs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. Kokurokoki Apprentice Engineer

Plus, artists are getting paid to do things that they love and that's always a bonus. And we get some seriously sick-looking new models.

Everyone wins. Unless you don't like new models (fuck that scratched glass to hell and back though).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. Hakon102 Apprentice Engineer

please add the option "both"

23. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I can imagine pvp as..............massive ass ship that fires 50 missiles a second versus tiny tim in the respawn ship.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I generally play PvK

Player vs. Keen... especially on or just after update day. The most challenging part of the game is dealing with the new bugs and figuring out how to work around them. No disrespect. It's just what's the biggest thing to deal with... the unexpected issues of a game that's in development.

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

ha i get you 100% on that

Wheels... :p for me they noclip with the world over 100 km/s so i only got a max of 70 km/s
    small conveyor some don't appear had to make a small hydro propelled ship..that was fun. ^^

last night i did something hugely risky....a piston connected to a rotor which had 5 drills stuck onto it......have to move them slowly but so far so good!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.