Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Question to the staff / devs / marek about blocks and DLC

Discussion in 'General' started by zopzodeman, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Malware Master Engineer

But they haven't pulled dev resources away to code DLC content, @Burstar. These are just graphics. The artists can't fix those problems. The artists would just be twiddling their fingers anyway. There's nothing new about these blocks outside of their looks. They're just reskinned existing blocks. Well, ok, fine, they added a way to control the scale of a projection - which is nothing more than a UI control...

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Somebody also had to code in the DLC security and package the DLC into a distinct supplement. This was not an artist-only endeavour. Also, do they even have 'artists-only' on staff, or are their programmers also doing the 3d modelling? (The game credits distinct Artists and Programmers)

:woot:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Doing that little bit of coding may have pulled someone who was coding the game away for an hour at the most, more likely was 30 minutes or less for them to secure and package the dlc.

4. Sarekh Senior Engineer

I seriously do not know of a single coder that works in the gaming industry that also does the 3D modelling except for one-person-indie projects. There are sometimes technical artists in a gaming company that has that need but that's it.

5. Dan2D3D Moderator

That was not me cause not home last week and very busy, I usually add a friendly warning showing the forum rules before giving warning points :)

6. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

You're forgetting the x100 KSH multiplier. :rocket::beer:

7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Dan2D3D yeah I know it was not you. Just pointing out the imbalance of what the rules seem to be for certain other mods on the forum. :)

8. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

And here we go with another Baseless Accusation.

Keen brings SE out of Early Access, Keen releases a DLC package. Therefore, Keen took the game out of Early Access for the purpose of selling DLC.

And the other stuff we got in the Update; the non DLC stuff? What was that then? Did that have anything at all to do with Keen's promise to keep working on the game?

These conspiracies are so hard to figure out sometimes.

9. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Maybe for some people, but the Out of EA announcement came out of nowhere, with no basis for it, and then a month later DLC? If you won't do the math, it's willful ignorance (which is why fanboi is considered an insult by many).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Malware Master Engineer

To the level that it actually matters resource wise - yes, it was.
    --- Automerge ---
    Hehe... Which makes one start to wonder what the term for the opposite equivalent of a "fanboi" is... :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

No, it wasn't.

12. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Burstar they did not have to come out of EA to sell the DLC. They have in the past and could have this time sold a DLC while in EA. Moot point on if the game was EA or not when DLC was sold.

13. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

There is no rule that you must be out of EA to have DLC. Noone said that. It would however be a PR nightmare to do it though, and that's why they didn't. Just like there is no rule that KSH must permanently allow/support mods in SE. People would lose their minds if they stopped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Burstar you must have forgetten about the First DLC they did while in EA........ I don't remember the PR nightmare.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

Pretty sure it's "fanboi".

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Malware Master Engineer

Yes it was. There was hardly any programming involved. If you want to be angry about resource use that didn't go into bug fixes and such you should rather be angry about the LCD side of the update, the free non-DLC bit, which was the exact opposite ;)
    That joke went straight over my head :p

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Cetric Junior Engineer

I like if a studio rethinks its previous decisions, no matter how fierce they were once defended, and gives new content the community yearned for. In case of the planets, that even meant a huge attractivity addition. This all shows nothing is chiseled into stone (or asteroids, here) but debatable and subject to change. Change means chances, means progress.
    But how ungrateful they are, those infidels! Always still complaining!

If you look at Paradox titles like Crusader Kings II or Europa Universalis IV and similar publications of them, they issue a lots of DLC over time but each one makes sense and adds greatly to the product. I know the DLC question can be fought over like a religious topic, but from the game-value aspect, and for supporting a game and a company which enjoys your sympathies, it is good to have them while you still can opt in or out without disabling the core game. And KEEN took the least offensive way of adding an innocent DLC for a minimal price. That is why I am so surprised by the outrage of some zealots for a DLC-free universe.

18. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

No it wasn't. You're also forgetting the x100 KSH multiplier. The coding could have been a single line and it still would have delayed a ridiculous amount of time, and broke three other things in the process. Assuming past performance predicts future Keen results ofc. Hyperbole aside, when the strongest argument after 6 years of incomplete development is 'but it was only a small delay in progress and totally not a paradigm shift in development direction true story' why even bother?

I was annoyed with the LCD's as part of the 'out of EA early' thing, but nitpicking specific content isn't my point, but rather Mareks order of operations. I wanted the core BS fixed to a level that isn't frustrating. After that they could have added DLC or whatever to their hearts content as long as it wasn't shoved in my face that I didn't have it (which I almost certainly would have purchased).

:clang:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Malware Master Engineer

@Burstar Ok, you seem to keep believing I'm just making stuff up rather than simply stating facts, and you're free to keep believing what you want, of course :D I thought I might be informative, but there's no point when the recipient don't want facts.

As for being annoyed with things not getting fixed, that is valid. And I would think that would be more than valid enough as a reason to object rather than making up stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

You haven't stated any facts. Just your opinion, and a clearly biased one at that. :eek:

21. Malware Master Engineer

Yes, I am aware you believe that :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Are you though? :D

23. Malware Master Engineer

Yep. It's sad, really, how you can't deal with being argued against without going there. You impart the impression that you can't accept that someone might have some information you dont, so you believe that obviously there must be foul play of some sort involved.

For the record. I am biased towards programmers because I am one. That is true. But that does not mean that I spread misinformation. I still tell the truth.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

No, you tell what you think is the truth. I'm criticizing your bias, not calling you a liar. You on the other hand... Perhaps do some introspection for once and maybe you'd be perceived as more trustworthy.

Generally, it is foolish for anyone to expect others on the internet to just take what they're saying as fact. Anyone who does take it as fact is even more so. :baby:
    --- Automerge ---
    and as if to make my point for me, Keen just announced they are altering the inaccessible functional DLC policy. An even simpler change as it's rolling back code and yet will take weeks to implement. There is a holistic component to KSH BS that you are ignoring because, to you, 'it is just a simple small coding change'.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengin...pcoming_decorative_pack_functionality_update/

:carlton:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Malware Master Engineer

No, @Burstar. I'm not telling what I think is the truth. I am basing it on information I actually have. Come on man. Do you really think I would be allowed to replace the entire core of the programmable block without actually talking to them?

That, of course, is about this particular issue, the DLC issue. Otherwise I base my arguments on my not insignificant experience as a programmer, but then I also do not claim that I state facts.

Oh, of course, I forgot. No, I don't expect people to believe me. As I said. I impart what I know, whether people believe me or not is up to them. But of course I will defend myself if I feel attacked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I'm still waiting to see the facts behind this.

27. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

It kind of looks like you said it:

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. zopzodeman Trainee Engineer

29. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Judging by recent threads they are more likely to respond on Facebook than their own forums even if the replies are copypasta.

30. Malware Master Engineer

"replies"

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.