Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Questions About Making Scenarios

Discussion in 'General' started by doncdxx, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

I did the tutorial in the guide and can now make a basic scenario but there's a major thing I haven't figured out to do that isn't mentioned in the guide.

How do you move a player built ship and it's cargo to the next mission?

I want to make a scenario where someone flies around a cargo ship they can customize and a docked fighter they build, but I want the players changes to be moved to the next mission. With no character skills or leveling, the only progression the game has is accumulated resources. Not being able to take that between missions makes it tough. Like starting from scratch every new mission.

And my second question, is to the forum admins.

Can you add a scenarios category in space engineers>discussions?

I guess that's more of a request, but it seems a good category to have to itself to motivate people to make them.

2. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

How did you make a campaign?! I've only been able to make the explosion example.

3. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

So far, through trial and error.

Actually, campaign may not really be the right term. Since there doesn't seem to be a way to pass a user made ships to the next mission, it looks as though I have to put the whole thing in one mission.

4. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

Ok. Any tips on how to get started?

5. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

Not really. I've only been doing the enter area triggers, like the guide shows and some cutscenes. Mainly I was trying to take apart the official campaign to figure out how it works.

6. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

How in the world do you do cutscenes.

On a side note...MAKE A BETTER GUIDE KEEN!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

Admission : I have not worked with the scenario system.

I don't think your plan works with the idea of scenarios. By my understanding, only the player and player inventory move to next scenario. That's been the definition of scenario for a long time.

When going through the "First jump" scenario, it struck me that any ships the character has are immediately removed at the beginning of the next scenario, or there was a cut scene of the character moving away from the ship.

Very bad example/analogy : In the Space Engineers scenario where you get into an escape pod, I had space master enabled and turned the escape pod purple. The cut scene didn't show the purple ship, but it was a pre-recorded cut scene.

Another bad example : In other games, you go through a building, then later return through that building after it was flooded. I did an admin change and changed the unflooded building, to find the damage restored when playing through to the flooded section. Those were not one "set" but two different ones.

8. 666Savior Apprentice Engineer

if you find stuff out would you be willing to make a better guide for the VS tool? I cant wrap my head around keen's guide.

9. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

I'm planning some guides on modding soon, so by the time I get done with them, if I know this well enough, I'll do a guide for this as well.
    The campaign I'm making right now is just a mod showcase for my stupid big mod series I am finalizing. There's a great deal of nodes I probably won't use, so it's the next campaign I make that will teach me the stuff that people are probably going to want to know. If I do a guide, it will be a couple months from now at the soonest.

Though, if my test for moving a ship between missions is ever successful, I'll post how I did it here right away.

10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Campaigns are driven by visual-scripting through the visual scripting editor and then output into a companion folder that loads when your world opens. So far, the visual scripting documentation and even tutorials has been less than stellar. Features are mentioned in updates. But there isn't anything to support people looking to use the tools. There's one guide in Steam but it has more to do with the layout of the editor than actual implementation. The same for Drone AI scripted through Visual Scripting. There are mentions of it in updates, but no samples of how to do it... like they have put out as far as the in-game programming.

Even a sub-forum dedicated to visual scripting would be a start.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 666Savior Apprentice Engineer

+1 for vs subforum, lets make it happen

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I've been poking about a little. It seems that there might be some examples hidden in the official campaign. I looked at them in Notepad++ but haven't installed VS yet. I believe there IS a tutorial for installation.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\SpaceEngineers\Content\Campaigns\Official Campaign 01\Scripts\Mission 05
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\SpaceEngineers\Content\Campaigns\Official Campaign 01\Scripts\Common

13. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

There's also parts to a scenario called Station 419 in there.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.