Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Questions about "Simulation Speed" and rubberbanding.

Discussion in 'General' started by Trip Rodriguez, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Trip Rodriguez Trainee Engineer

Greetings all!

I've searched quite a bit on this topic and have read many posts, but I was left curious about a couple different things.

1) Posts I read implied that "simulation speed" is client side, is this correct?

2) Assuming that the above is correct, how is it that you can be suffering from low simulation speed while still having a high frame rate? Is it CPU based and on a different core than the main CPU work for rendering the world?

Now a different question. What started me reading dozens of forum threads is that I'm frequently getting rubberbanding lag. This usually happens around very large grids, and interestingly if I am using the jetpack it is silky smooth, but if I land and walk it rubberbands like mad. What's weird is:

Sim Speed is 1.0
    Frame rate is ~110

My question is; does this mean the rubberbanding is a deficiency of the dedicated server I'm paying for? If so, would moving to a different hosting service make it go away? The only other possibility I can think of is my connection to the server, but I didn't find a way to check my ping that I could understand. I tried what I found via google (Ctrl-B IIRC) but I didn't understand a lot of what I saw and did not see "ping" listed.

Thank you all for the help!
    Trip

2. Malware Master Engineer

You have local simspeed and you have server simspeed - one for each machine.

The logic updates and rendering of Space Engineers is split. The logic updates are run 60 times a second, always. If your computer (local) or the server can't keep up with this rate, you get low simspeed. This can obviously cause rubberbanding - but rubberbanding can also be caused by not enough network bandwidth so the information packages can't reach you in time (or get back to the server in time).

Rendering is, as I said, decoupled and will render as fast as it can - capped at 120fps I believe.

3. Trip Rodriguez Trainee Engineer

Malware, is there any way for me to check the sim-speed on my rented dedicated server? As I stated, the simspeed reading I get on my machine is pretty stable at 1.0 so I still don't know what is causing the rubberbanding I sometimes get.

I think it's kinda funny that I can totally fix it by using the jetpack! Seems really odd that it affects walking but not flying.

4. Malware Master Engineer

Press shift-F11. It should tell you both local- and server simspeed.