Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Questions about the gravity drive

Discussion in 'General' started by Miguel Viola, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Miguel Viola Trainee Engineer

Do gravity drives work in a Moon's gravity well (0.25G) by "thrusting" upwards?
    Are the artificial mass blocks affected by artificial gravity only or also natural gravity (making the entire process of escaping the Moon unefficient)?

For example: I have a 2,5 million KG ship that I want to escape the Moon with using only the gravity drive. I figured that 2 sets of gravity drives each with 6 art. masses and 6 grav. gens would generate 18 MN total which would be enough to make the ship accelerate upwards at 4.7 m/s^2 but my ship doesn't lift off the ground.

P. S: I know that natural gravity gradually cancel the artificial gravity generators, but these are just canceled at 0.5G.

2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I think recent updates have made it where there is any natural gravity at all, even @ .25 natural Gravity kills all artificial gravity

• Like Like x 1
  3. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Haven't tried it, but if so that's too bad. I had a setup once where I filled containers full of stuff on the moon, each has a set of thrusters and an artificial mass, then I'd use grav generators on the surface to fling the stuff into orbit where the engines would kick in and ferry it to a station. Super impractical, but hilarious watching them get flung up into the sky!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. SileniusFF Apprentice Engineer

In version 1.191.107 (that is current) Gravity generators still work in 0.25G,
    but their efficiency was reduced while ago.
    If i recall, there were changes how mass block-grav gen combo works at some point,
    but afaik gravity drives should still be possible.

There are other changes still.
    Did some testing with my old gravity cannon/lift. Used to lift ice chunks from moon surface to orbit with it.
    Seems that floating objects loose their momentum faster now
    - no matter the chunk mass or acceleration by gravity gens, could not shoot them higher than ca 1900m. Back in the day it was possible to get ice out of moon gravity this way.

5. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

The simple answer to your question is, Keen observed that people wanted to walk around their ships and stations. They made mag boots, but they had issues that Keen believed players would find unacceptable. So they created the Gravity Generator instead. The "gravity drive" is an unintended consequence of having a gravity creating block. Keen is working on everything they can short of eliminating the block entirely in order to discourage gravity drives. For performance reasons, loose voxels disappear rather quickly, although you can adjust that in settings.

Keen is on a mission to make gravity drives and cannons harder to make, not easier.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

and we all know how Keen just loves us getting creative and thinking outside the box...

7. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

True. I can't wait to see what players really do with those "trade zones". Whatever it is, it won't have anything to do with trade.

8. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Gravity generators were around way before the Mag boots. ;)
    Think you meant that though, it just got turned around in the wording there. :)

9. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Actually, I believe I read in Keen's blog that when the issue about walking around in ships and stations came up, Keen came up with mag boots. When they tested them they encountered all the annoying problems the boots have like finding yourself walking up a door frame and ending up in the next room sideways and walking back just makes it worse. They figured players would find that unacceptable so they scrapped that idea and went with gravity drives. About a year, maybe two later someone made a mag boot mod and it was an instant hit. It seems like less than two months later Keen released mag boots as a feature.

I distinctly remember because right after they released the mag boots I pestered them about removing the gravity drives, since they were no longer needed. At the time there was another person in the forums leading a charge against "troll drives", as he called them.

Yeah, Keen released gravity drives way before mag boots, but mag boots were their first choice.

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

With my slow computer, I call them "lag boots"...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

where did you get that information? I'm here from the very beginning and gravity generators were always in the game, even in the very first alpha when there wasn't even steam version and player jetpack speed was limited to 4m/s and manual mode or weapons wasn't a thing. Who they ask about magboots when there wasn't community or any public version of the game?

12. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

No. The grav drive should be working at one half capacity. 6 generators and 6 masses should be enough. Did you check that all of the gravity generators are pointing in the right direction? (I.e. not cancelling each other out.)

Also, in a 2.5 million ship, all 12 of your gravity generators should be in range of all 12 of your masses. That should give you exponentially more force.

13. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

As I remember, I read once that the Gravity drive was for Walking in the stations, but alone it wasn't a Problem. But then Players wantes thiny cars to drive thru large stations. So they created the artificial mass block to have them affected by artifical gravity. And the Problems began…

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

They didn't ask anyone. They just concluded that the mag boots would be unacceptable and they went with the gravity drive.

There was a time when I could just link the blog, but it was so long ago and I'm too old to be bothered. I have no reason to lie about it. It does not support any other claim I have made. This information came to light back when planets became a thing and gravity was a hot topic. All I know is it was either a Keen blog or a Marek blog. Probably around the time Keen made mag boots vanilla. Unless someone from Keen comes in here and says otherwise, I'm sticking with my memory ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. Malware Master Engineer

@Stardriver907 No, fairly sure you're right. Also I think you meant "gravity generator" not "gravity drive" :p

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Oh God yes. Keen definitely never decided the game needed a gravity drive :D

• Funny Funny x 1