Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Random planets option

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Henrique, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Henrique Trainee Engineer

Hello.

I was thinking about an infinity procedural generation planets in the space, like the asteriods that keeps coming.

But, to be more fun and realistic, without much cost, maybe planets like the earth can simply change it`s basic collors when
    appear again somewhere in the space.

Something like:

1) I go to space, to have an infinity journey.
    2) New planets appears (I know it is impossible to create totally random planets, so...)
    3) New earths, or Mars keeps coming, they have sometimes green water, yellow water, red grass, purple sky, yellow sky.
    4) This way the planets may always looks diferent, like another one, and without much cost.

thanks

2. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Sounds like something to kill your computer with. The overhead on such a thing would be rather huge, would it not? Generating an infinite amount of planets. Cool beans for servers but, storage wise(20+ planets anyone?) and cpu wise... every time someone gets close to a new planet to generate... Sim speed would drop to .1 while it generates.... lol. You think sim speed is bad with a few planets... now think about 5 people on 5 different planets. wow.

Don't get me wrong, I would love this... I just don't believe its possible with the way things are now... we would need massive improvements first.

3. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@ViroMan
    It actually doesn't.
    So the game is generating infinite asteroids, sounds like something to kill your computer with. The overhead on such a thing would be rather huge, would it not?

Let me explain why it wouldn't just kill a server outright.
    Procedural planets would be loaded more and more in detail the closer you get. Nothing would be needed to be "generated" since it would initially just be a couple of randomly generated images that is mapped on to a sphere, that automatically becomes more and more detailed the closer you get. The only time the "generation" would come into effect would be when you drilled something. The current procedural asteroids aren't actually "physically" there in the game world. They are merely mathematical formulas that are being rendered. The only time when an asteroid becomes physical is when a single voxel has been changed on it, from that point on it becomes a permanent object that will have to be loaded. Planets right now don't save every single voxel. The only voxels it saves are the ones in the chunks that have been edited so in the same way you can say even the planets we have now are not actually "physically" there.

Generating infinite planets would not be the computer killer. What Keen would have to figure out is a good algorithm to make good looking terrain on demand and they basically already have most of the systems necessary to implement this. (And making a good looking random planet algorithm is not an easy task by a long shot)
    --- Automerge ---
    I would like that as well.
    Actually it wouldn't be impossible. Planets consists of different "color maps", these could be randomly generated, the question is just how good it would look.
    That is definitely even easier than generating real random planets, but I say unless they implement random terrain as well, it wouldn't be worth it.
    You are partly right on this one, the most important aspect is to make sure the planets are far enough away from each other, and they would have to be far, like 30 thousand to 60 thousand km between each random planet to make sure that they are only barely visible specks to not impede performance.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ViroMan Senior Engineer

huh I didn't know planets were not completely saved. Interesting.

5. Malware Master Engineer

They tried making procedural planets.

They were boring. Thus is why they went the direction they did.

Sure, there are algorithms out there capable of rendering interesting terrain. Problem is, they're to slow for realtime use...

6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

There are some games being released soon that have procedural generated planets... if it is too slow why are other games doing it?

7. Malware Master Engineer

I know nothing about those other games. I only know what happened here. I also don't know how the planets of those other games look so I'm in no position to judge. I'm simply stating facts.

8. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Seems that some of the mod planets could be used. There are plenty of those. Perhaps not infinite planets. Rather, randomly spawn them at least x km apart up to a configurable max number of planets from an admin controlled collection.

Besides colors, gravity and atmosphere settings make a diff

9. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Here are some screenshots showing the procedural planets in Star Citizen, they look pretty.. and then there is No Man's Sky which releases in a few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Levits Senior Engineer

Those planets cannot be edited though; at least I'm pretty sure they can't. In SE, everything can be edited. If SE simply gave up on having "Everything!" being capable of being changed and/or altered (voxels), then it too could/would likely be able to easily do the same as the other games.

What I've seen of the other games though, despite friggin' gorgeous images, is that only a few items/object/things are able to be altered or "mined". You can't just burrow 100m into the ground where you stand. You can dig up and drill into a few "voxel?" objects on the surface and whatnot but you can't mine out the planet. And... physics; they don't have to deal with much of that either. You have to compare SE to it's nearest counterpart: that being Empyrion.

I think the devs started with great expectations but the actual idea is beyond our tech (cost-effective tech) levels. For a game universe to be completely alterable/intractable, it will require some serious rendering/computing power.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Well I don't suppose it would be to hard to procedurally create planets and then apply any voxel changes that have occurred to said planet. You don't have to apply all changes at once, just the ones that would be visible. Lets not forget LOD. As they get closer load more detail.

12. Malware Master Engineer

Like I said, they have already tried. The first versions were fully procedural. They were (accidentally, I believe) released ro GitHub so we could get a look. Given what they have accomplished I have serious problems believing the change of direction to be due to laziness.

13. Henrique Trainee Engineer

Like Sioxernic told, It is not impossible.
    Random Planets and also animais with random body parts are really cool, it makes the game last longer.

Something like: when more infinity things come, even if they are limited, is good. The infinity is a good thing, but hard
    to work.

14. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

Why not take a bunch of planets (eg from octaganapus) and include them into the game. they are so diverse, and so many, that they could bring a feeling of exploration.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.