Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Realistic Space Vacuum

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by ResultedSniper, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. ResultedSniper Trainee Engineer

I am proposing the idea that if a ship hits yours, if you have a gravity core, then the broken area becomes a vacuum; Sucking anything affected by gravity out. This would lead to better storage designs and the need for Airlock doors for every room :D

2. kafka Trainee Engineer

already posted
    http://forums.keenswh.com/post/willl-there-ever-be-an-atmospherepressurised-hull-6592052

3. Faeron Trainee Engineer

Also impossible to implement.

4. Fox Apprentice Engineer

^^ [citation needed]

5. Faeron Trainee Engineer

Please cite me an engine with the processing power to accurately simulate undersea pressure, vacuums, or asscheek movement that acceptably models real life.

So clever. Woah, got me.

6. iambeard Trainee Engineer

I am a software developer, and I can say that it is very possible to implement. It's quite easy to calculate enclosed volumes (especially with cubes/voxels), which would then be used to determine which sort of atmosphere is used for which enclosed volume. Most games don't use this mechanic because it's often not a main game mechanic, and not worth modifying their entire engine for one or two parts of their game.

7. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

Realistic from a science perspective? Definitely not.
    Realistic enough to "look" real? Yes.

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/atmosphere-systems-6550841

This topic has been around for a while, and an interesting questions is: Why would you need to/want to take off your suit?

8. Faeron Trainee Engineer

An addition like this making it through Alpha would be revolutionary. This is about a realistic Space Vacuum, not simulating death upon exposure (which is easy).

Itdwbe hard to do this simply because the ships are custom built and act as their own (detatchable) entities. Im not saying Im against it, but I dont think itll ever happen, and I dont want a good game ruined with experimental software development.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.