1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Relaxed Scripting API

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lemmy, Dec 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Lemmy

Lemmy Trainee Engineer

Would it be possible to relax the modding modding api somehwat?

I'm trying to implement a custom tool, but I can't even implement IMyHandToolComponent since the class MyCharacter is prohibited but needed by the abstract OnControlAcquired. Granted I'm trying to pull this class from Sandbox.Game.Entities, but I think most of the scripters would understand that their mods could be broken in a later api-change, if they use classes from anywhere besides the ModAPI namespaces.
    And I think, that this could also lead to people providing more ideas of what could be part of ME.

I currently have two mod-ideas : a paving hammer, to create cobbled streets (in survival) and later on a shovel to terraform properly in survival. I don't know if anything like that is planned, but if it had a proof-of-concept in a mod with built-in feedback by the community it would probably also be helpful to Keen.

I hope you can reduce the prohibitions or allow a switch in the configuration that turns most if not all of them off. I.e. you clearly state that their isn't any protection, thus the user knows exactly that he's taking the risk with such a mod.

2. Skicek

Skicek Trainee Engineer

I agree with idea. As I was trying to make modded drill with additional options in game but I could not get to some classes.

Players know when they modding that they can broke game.

PS. make this also for SE

3. Lemmy

Lemmy Trainee Engineer

So I actually got my tool to work (by blatantly copying from SE mods), but there still seems to be no way to access the area permissions and the actual voxel material - which really sucks. If I could use that in a debug mode, and later on show keen what I'm using it for, so that this might be added to the ModAPI in a reasonable way, we would really streamline the process. That way Keen would have an easier job to write the ModAPI since I don't request what I might like, but what I actually use.

It's a really frustrating, that I can see the solution, but cannot use it, because of the prohibition.
    --- Automerge ---
    So for refernce, here's my mod. I really need the two things named above, because future ideas (like a shovel) have more critical restrictions in survival.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=827470055

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.