Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Remotely Changing Ownership when a Sensor is Tripped

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Spaceman Spiff, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I am building a new survival scenario that takes the player along a storyline in a similar manner to the Escape from Mars and Infinity Nexus workshops. At one point in the scenario I want a tripped sensor to cause a nearby facility to change its ownership from neutral (i.e., “friendly”) to pirate, and other nearby sites to light up and start spawning pirate drones. I know I can, with my suit broadcasting, hit [k] and remotely switch ownership of a distant facility, but how do I do it with a sensor? I have not done any SE programming, and I really don't want to (at this point, anyway) learn the nuances of scripting. Is there already a script or mod or something out there that does what I want to do?

Help me, Obi-wan. You're my only hope.

2. Malware Master Engineer

You can't change ownership via scripts. Via a mod, sure, they can do all manner of things, but not scripts.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Can anyone help me with a mod that will do this?

4. Sinbad Senior Engineer

isnt this something the campaign/mission/scenario builder thing can do? dont know if it can, but it seems like it should. i cant even remember what its called. its not a part of the game iv'e played with.

5. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

sensors can always be a fun pain to mess with.

could you .....for example
    have the enemy in a turned off sleep state.
    and when the player passes a certain point one of them is turned on which makes it wield a enemy faction block which is then detected by a hidden away short range sensor which wakes up the rest of the base?

so half is friendly but a switch off other half is enemy only waking when you trip a sensor which causes an enemy block to be wielded which causes a sensor to detect it and wake up the enemy element?

thats my only way of seeing how to do it at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That's an interesting idea. I'll play with it.

7. Sinbad Senior Engineer

@Forcedminer has a an interesting idea.
    a friendly piston moving a block into an enemy sensor would work too. if you want a piston hanging around. i cant see that pushing one block through clear space into another clear space would go wrong though. options are optional...

8. Kevin03YZFR1 Trainee Engineer

You could have a local sensor that is owned by a pirate faction detect players as they run by. Set it to switch a spawning antenna from OFF to ON. This only will work the same grid so you would need to run a long line of blocks under the ground to what appears to be a nearby facility, though it would actually be the same grid. Depends on how far you plan on placing the offsite facility.

9. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

it mostly came from how little big planet does it.......level scripting.
    the game has a bunch of colored sensors that can be rigged to go various actions with a bit of thought you can do quite alot
    a piston and sensor rig makes a pretty decent timer...as does a rotating wheel that rotates with a sensor at the other end of it.

im sure scripting could do better.... but im rather lazy at times and if a large complicated contraction can do it. I'd be more prone to go for that. and hide it off somewhere out of sight.

10. Calaban Junior Engineer

I wonder how the EEM or that Dromedary Tradeship does just what OP is talking about- ship stays neutral and tradeable.. until you "damage" any part of it- then it turns hostile.

So, maybe check out their ships/stations in admin tools giving you access to all terminals (specifically their programming block), and see how their script is built/written.. see what trick they did to make the whole thing go from white to red [if I was a betting man, I'd bet faction change] or just copypasta that whole script straight over.

Then, when you publish your campaign-thing, simply add in your programming block a header of "// Credit for this script goes to...." to keep all the hater arrows away

• Like Like x 1
  11. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That’s a great idea; I’ll check into that.

Following the suggestions above, I ended up rebuilding my planet base more carefully in a new location. The original base had four separate grids that I wanted to “switch.” Now the new base has everything connected on the same grid, so I’m able to trigger a trap using a sensor block and multiple timer blocks so the trap is sprung sequentially. It’s getting so complicated that I really need to set up a flow chart to keep track of the multiple sequence tracks that need to occur to effectively pull off the trap. Now I actually think this will all work. The player will have a self-destruct trap to survive, sudden pirate turrets to dodge, and converging pirate drones to survive. Mu-ha-ha!!! Hey, I think I’ll pop up an LCD panel with Admiral Ackbar saying, “It’s a trap!” Oh, yeah...
    --- Automerge ---
    Oh, dang...I forgot to mention the spiders. Yeah, lots of spiders. Pesky critters made peskier via Wofenray’s slick fix:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1397796981

• Like Like x 1
  12. ViroMan Senior Engineer

The mod that allows block hacking is a possibility for changing ownership... the problem is it is random in what it hacks. This can be mitigated by keeping things that are controllable to limited quantity OR you can modify the hack mod so that instead of low chance of hack it has a 100% chance and thus take over the whole structure it is attached to in seconds. So set the block in an off state and then change its ownership. Set a sensor to turn it on and... poof the whole base is owned.

13. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Could you please provide a link to the block-hacking mod?

14. ViroMan Senior Engineer

15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I thought that was the one you were talking about. Tanks.

16. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I used to use it a lot but, then decided to stop being lazy and just disassemble the ships using nanobots. Gave me a reason to use the power.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Funny huh? Have you seen a ship just floating in one direction while a swarm of glowy nats from your ship are slowly eating said ship. Its beautiful.

18. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Call me old fashioned, but I like the feel of a grinder in my hands.

19. ViroMan Senior Engineer

You just like things that vibrate hard in your hands... :p

20. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You just say that ‘cause it’s true!!;)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.