Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Remove fake control screen from pilot seat

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Zac Lee, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Zac Lee Trainee Engineer

"He attacked from 12'o clock straight on- I was so blind I couldn't see him until it was too late."

With robust rotor safety locks and vastly simplified small ship rotor heads to large ship rotor attachment procedures, I've noticed a veritable new golden age of sorts to bridge and cockpit design for vanilla large ships, both in the workshop and my own designs.

That being said- the one thing that has plagued my various designs since LCDS came out is the obstructive, exceedingly bright and useless "screen" featured on the large ship pilot seat block.

-before you post: "there's a mod for that..." I know- I'm more in the thought process of discussing improvements to the game than unaware of the awesome mod community.

Anyway, I have an example here of what I'm talking about. I know It's nothing impressive compared to the caliber of works I've seen here and on the workshop before but the folding and rotating contraptions I've made just so I can see out the front of my boat and have useful info displayed at the same time...

[​IMG]
    "I've had to make the screens rotate and fold away at command just so I can catch a glimpse of space sometimes..."

My alternative method is to use a passenger seat and then use a remote control to pilot- which I don't like cause there's no sticks on the seat. ...Listen man, it matters to me.

Not to mention the screens color is pretty close to the current games U.I. theme, making my quickbar a bit hard to read at times.

My request is to remove the screen and its accompanying hit box for the pilot seat. The control station is fine as that is mainly for 3rd person play. We can make really nice cockpit designs now- it's time to take off the grossly incandescent training wheels.

I've also heard U.I. changes are-a-comin' What better way to celebrate these changes then by letting us see them when we're flying a ship?

• Agree Agree x 9
  2. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Aye, It would be much nicer to not have a useless screen in front of me all the time while piloting.

Though instead of removing it, I would think that adding lcd panel functionality to the screen on the flight seat would be much better than having nothing there at all. I'd rather be able to put info on that screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Zac Lee Trainee Engineer

Naw man, lemme do all the screens myself- also- I'd like to see directly in front of me and below for added visibility

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Agreed 100%. Decorative stuff makes sense if it's scripted to be functional in the game (for eg a speed or shield readout or whatever), or if it's just fluff in a game that doesn't require meaningful readouts.

But fluffy greebling is sort of a crime when you can actually make your own custom readouts.

5. Akimitsu18 Apprentice Engineer

I do like that there's a nifty screen on the seat, but not when it's useless. If it were useful as a screen I'd be all for it, but since it isn't it should just be removed. The same with the control seat: It would be great if those screens were useful, or if we could have useful screens in their place.

6. damoran Junior Engineer

is there a way to agree multiple times!?

7. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

Wouldn't it be neat if the "custom data" recently added to all terminal blocks could be displayed on the various monitors of flight seats, cockpits, PBs, etc...?

8. Clone Marshal Commander Trainee Engineer

The don't need to remove the screens, they need to move the HUD from your helmet onto those screens when you sit down. Easy fix.

9. Zac Lee Trainee Engineer

I'd rather just make the HUD myself

10. Gakhon Trainee Engineer

Agreed. That huge, view obstructive, functionless LCD is one of the (many) things that make me think "WTF is wrong with them that they thought this is a good idea".

11. Clone Marshal Commander Trainee Engineer

So you want everyone to make their own HUDs in the game with some tool implemented into vanilla?

12. Zac Lee Trainee Engineer

I'm saying a seat with no screen, control sticks and the normal HUD is perfectly usable and probably a better feel for flying with the added viability while also letting players who like to make massive extravagant unnecessary display contraptions create their own physical HUD and turn off the helmet HUD

13. Eikester Apprentice Engineer

digging in the code with ilspy, found this:
    MyRenderProxy.UpdateModelProperties(base.Render.RenderObjectIDs, 0, -1, "CockpitScreen_01", new bool?(false), null, null);
    MyRenderProxy.UpdateModelProperties(base.Render.RenderObjectIDs, 0, -1, "CockpitScreen_02", new bool?(false), null, null);
    MyRenderProxy.UpdateModelProperties(base.Render.RenderObjectIDs, 0, -1, "CockpitScreen_03", new bool?(false), null, null);
    MyRenderProxy.UpdateModelProperties(base.Render.RenderObjectIDs, 0, -1, "CockpitScreen_04", new bool?(false), null, null);
    MyRenderProxy.UpdateModelProperties(base.Render.RenderObjectIDs, 0, -1, "CockpitScreen_05", new bool?(false), null, null);
    MyRenderProxy.UpdateModelProperties(base.Render.RenderObjectIDs, 0, -1, "CockpitScreen_06", new bool?(false), null, null);

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zac Lee Trainee Engineer

What manner of haberdashery...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.