Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Request: Long Cruise Collision Avoidance

Discussion in 'Programming Questions and Suggestions' started by SpecFrigateBLK3, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

Here is a hypothetical situation that I would like to see made reality.

Let's say I'm playing on an infinite dedicated server. I've managed to build a cryochamber and install equipment to harvest oxygen and power.
    Now I wanna get the heck away from the center, so I set my thrust override to one percent power or something, point the ship away from 0,0,0 and... Pray to Keen no asteroids spawn in my path when I cryo and log off?
    I would like a script that uses remote GFD beams to detect any obstacles at long range and autopilot the ship around them. It would also be nice to have an additional mode to stop right by the asteroid while I slow cruise at 10m/s and build on the fly, literally.

2. Wicorel Senior Engineer

If you just want to stop, then set a sensor with 50m range in front and to detect asteroids/etc. Set the 'activate action' (the left one) to turn OFF override on the forward thrusters.

make sure dampeners are already on and there are enough reverse thrusters to stop the craft from speed in less than 50 meters.

Another better way is to not set the override on the forward thrusters and let the craft go: instead, get the craft up to desired speed (10m/s) and turn OFF dampeners. Then have the sensor turn ON the dampeners.

3. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

That's useful in the second case, and thanks.
    Not as useful in the first case as the ship would not be able to overcome max speed throttling during lag. One-percent thruster override can slowly but surely accelerate the ship up to max speed when it changes.
    I'd like my ship to be able to steer around stationary objects by itself, to put it simply. The script should preferably use a single gyro at minimal power to steer, thus the request to use GFD.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.