Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Running Wheel

Discussion in 'General' started by Yurets, May 1, 2018.

1. Yurets Trainee Engineer

I was wondering, is it possible to build a running wheel? Like this one?
    [​IMG]
    (this one is used on the biggest trebuchet in the world, because there is no other way to lift the counterweight)

I tried, but miserably failed - that "wheel" didn't move at all. Though, it would be great to have it. It's a nice replacement for a rotor block - only thing player should do is press autorun. It will probably generate quite a big torque, which is so needed for so many applications.

So, maybe somebody tried as well and succeeded? It would be great to hear, how to build it!

2. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Hmm... :/ although i haven't played much of ME i can imagine....due to physics a hollow square might work better...you stand on an corner and let it rotate. then move again to get a bit more speed.

part of me believes with a hollow wheel you'd just be running into it and not getting a whole lot of speed unless you stand still and let it rotate you back into the middle...if even.

3. Yurets Trainee Engineer

Yeah, that is exactly what happened - I've built an octagon, stepped on a side (from diagonal timber) and it just didn't go down. And running resulted only in hitting a "wall". But with square I'm afraid will be the same situation.
    --- Automerge ---
    I now tried with something absolutely simple - just a cross. And it seems, player is literally weightless = D
    [​IMG]
    So running wheel is impossible to build. Though, maybe, since objects do have weight, it is possible to make an object move, and make the wheel spin...