Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Scavenger World Server.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ronin1973, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well... the server has been catching exceptions tonight. I believe it's to do with the graphics card memory or "GC Memory." The server is using the onboard graphics from the i5 chip. It's limited at 1GB and I was getting a warning about that in the exception. Here's a taste of the log. I'd post it but I shut down the server.

Any how. I have an old GTX 560 card lying about with 2GB of memory. I'm installing it now and will have the server reconfigured.

The upside is that we may see faster sim speeds since the CPU isn't handling any of the graphics cycles.

But it's weird that SE Server would use any of the GPU for the game. Maybe Keen is offloading tasks there?

Well... anyhow... will be back up and running within an hour. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

That is a bit odd, though I could see them offloading something like physics onto the gpu.

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I posted it as a bug. It's probably spending CPU cycles rendering things for no reason. That would explain the slow down in sim speed especially when someone logs in.

I rebooted it this morning and slowed down the sprint speed by around half. I think a couple of the cargo ships don't have enough parachutes as the ships that I'm finding are usually in really bad shape. That will affect sim speed as they yard-sale all over the landsape and get extremely damaged.

So tonight, I'll fix the cargo ships, clean up the server files, back it up... hell maybe I'll even get to play today... lol...

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

So after rage-quitting my own server tonight, I decided to take a look at the Respawn vehicle. I'm going to keep the Rhino as a secondary spawn vehicle.

However, I just finished driving around a prototype of the next-gen vehicle "The Honey Badger."

Why THB? Because on almost any terrain the honey badger doesn't give a shit:

Wanna take that hill at 300kmph? Honey Badger don't care.
    Rock crawling over terrain that looks like the side of Edward James Elmos's face? Honey Badger don't mind.
    Blow off an entire axel of your vehicle? Honey Badger just laughs at that crap and keeps on driving.

I'm digging it... it can turn at 300kmph and you can brake at any speed without tipping over. Oh, and you can leave the suspension at full height without a problem... why... cuz the Honey Badger just ain't havin' it any other way.

I'll be finishing the full build this week and inserting it into the game this weekend.

5. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

Good News. Here are some questions.
    1. Is the THB bigger or smaller then our Rhino ?
    2. Same Cargo or with more ?
    3. Sure it will work in MP with all desyncs ?

looking Forward to it :)

By the way, here is a ship i want to suggest as an Pirate ship http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=659782392. It just needs a beacon and ID turned off.

6. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Sometimes the physics in this game baffles me. Trying flip my flyer over I skidding the ground, it caught a voxel, and left a crater bigger than my tiny flyer, yet only blew the cockpit up.

7. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

Sounds like you over-engineered your airbags a little bit :woot:

8. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

I was useing the airbags out of a honda, musta missed the recall.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

1. Will be bigger.
    2. Will have at least the same cargo space.
    3. Holy shit. I tested a prototype this morning on the server and it blew up in less than a kilometer. But in single player it was tearing the hell out of the planet. Damn it Keen. No wonder why you guys are dying so much. I didn't know.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Update on the Honey Badger.

I tested the next iteration of it again on the server at 0.4 sim speed. It performed MUCH better. The server governed it around 120kmph. It climbs, turns, etc without a problem... up and over hills. I also drove it into a couple craters at low speed, set the power and friction to max and climbed up and out of the craters. I also tried going over the jagged rocks at the base of mountains. I couldn't climb them very well but the vehicle didn't break up which is an improvement. It'll handle almost anything you throw at it in the dirt.

Crater? Honey Badger says f' your crater. I need to leave.

Next round of testing will involve loading it full of supplies and driving it around again.

11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm now testing the Honey Badger on the server. Dalek was the first to drive it. The server has issues with wheeled vehicles. They don't seem to have as much traction and tend to explode upon landing when jumping any distance that's relatively safe in single player. Ugh. I am looking for a few more Guinea Pigs to drive it on the server. if you test it you get to keep a copy on the server.

A couple videos testing it in single player on the Earth-like planet.

12. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Its not the server, its dale...

Damn it Dale!!!!

13. SayHi2Jesus4Me Trainee Engineer

Ok people, not sure if anyone else has noticed this but the game is now actively trying to destroy your stuff.

Logged on today just to check if any wrecks had dropped and found that a ship I had spent most of the week trying to get set up with thrusters had moved from its previous location about 15m into some station blocks. It was locked to the station with 3 landing gear, now it looks like only one of the landing gear is locked to the planet surface. Moving into the station blocks also seem to have exploded the batteries that used to be at the back of the ship.

Anyway, just a heads-up. Not sure if we'll be able to play SE again for a few weeks or months until they completely rethink their netcode.

14. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

Can't remember where I read it but I recall it being suggested to only lock landing gear on the terrain and not directly to a block otherwise explosions could occur. I can also verify that leaving your ship attached to a base through a connector also result in new craters at your base.

15. SayHi2Jesus4Me Trainee Engineer

The rhino is also locked to the station via the station's landing gear. It seems fine and hasn't had any problems.

But yeah, the yellow ship I parked on the station seems to be slowly drifting away despite being locked. I'm not gonna touch it for now because it is physically inside of the station blocks right now.

16. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

Scary stuff! Personally I gave up on SE this week when holding the space bar made my sniper ship's upwards thrusters stop working. I'm lucky it was only two meters above its landing platform...

On the bright side, it's obvious KSH are actively working on multiplayer. Hope they figure out something workable soon ;)

17. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

18. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

Remove those silly cryo pods and stick some big honkin' PMWs on there and it's perfect.

Slightly more seriously, I'd recommend fitting a medical bay and possibly some passenger seats in there. Those seem pretty useful for a transport :)

19. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Looks like the server took at dive at 1AM PST. I'm going to restart it. It's just a Keen thing. I purged a LOT of crashed cargo ships with beacons yesterday. I guess no one was anywhere near them for a while.
    Clean up goes as follows:
    1. Abandoned respawn vehicles.
    2. Cargo ships with no active beacon.
    3. Debris from crashes (not the actual crashed ship itself).
    4. Player created stuff that hasn't moved for a long while.

The server has been running at 0.8 - 1.0. That makes me happy and keeps Clang at bay.

If you find a ship, I suggest that you grind it down in its entirety. Some people are creating a scrap yard of ships to selectively take parts from as needed. I will start deleting those as well. Make yourself an elite grinder ASAP. You can also easily construct a grind pit if you have a way of moving wrecks or parts of wrecks. I use a heavy armor blocks to create 30 degree ramp that slides down to grinder pit. That's a lot better than dropping them on your grinders directly.

ALSO, I will be adding the first iteration of the Honey Badger today along with additional Cargo Ships as supplied in this thread. I will be retiring some of the small ships with huge block counts or at least making them a lot more rare. Thank you to everyone who has been contributing.

AND... on the horizon... a help center/lounge in orbit. It will be non-destructable with a med room. It will also contain instructions etc on LCDs for new players and possibly changes. The only way to get inside would be to respawn in it... and the only way to get out... suicide. But it'll have a view of Dantus to DIE for :)

21. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

I almost made it to my base last night twice. Frist time game crashed due to some network error in log, second time my hard drive died... I think Im never gona make it back to base.

22. vvictor Trainee Engineer

Server is down...

23. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

It'll be up around 5PM PST. I'll add splashtop to it this week so I can restart it remotely.

24. Konis Trainee Engineer

Hey Ronin,

Planning to start playing on the server tonight :).

Just a small request would you be able to edit your first post when you post updates further on along the thread might help get some new people who aren't interested in scrolling through all the forum posts.

25. Konis Trainee Engineer

Played a good bit yesterday kept having the server randomly freaking out though :(. Even when it was running at .6-.8 I'd be driving along normally then all of a sudden my vehicle would random shoot up in the air and some of the parts would take serious dmg and be unsalvagable. Then when the server sim speed dropped below .6 Parachutes weren't working when you were trying to use them manually. Also you'd randomly be dropping and 2 or 3 times The vehicle would just randomly flip upside down around 8k off the ground and then when the parachutes popped they wouldn't spawn and u'd just fall to your death.

I'm sure it's mostly due to sim speed drops on auto saves etc. Maybe we'll get a fix with the patch today.

Really looking forward to getting started on this server properly. Hopefully get a base up today ^_^.

Maybe it'd be worth looking into running an auto cleanup script once an hour or 2 to help deal with the crash sites or else find some way to set a timer for a crash shipped where it decays after it has crashed or just gets cleaned up after an hour or 2 to help with sim speeds.

26. Konis Trainee Engineer

Looks like the server is down again :(, did you manage to get Splashtop installed to remotely restart it? :)

27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Doah... not yet. Did they just release the Kracken?

28. Konis Trainee Engineer

No Kraken as of yet :p Sitting waiting patiently ^_^

29. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, cargo ships will not spawn anywhere near to where they'll fall into gravitational range. So I'm going to have to rethink the server. The range at which they spawn is well within the gravitational well of the planet. So Dantus will be bone dry of wrecks as far as I know.

30. Konis Trainee Engineer

Surely there has to be some sort of mod or way to overwrite the changes, need to talk to @rexxar seeing as he is the one who wrote the fix for them from the community :p

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.