Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Scavenger World Server.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ronin1973, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, what I'm thinking of doing is changing the set-up. Instead of ships crashing to the surface, use pirate bases. These bases will call in cargo ships. They won't crash, but autopilot between a series of bases. So the game will go from hunting down crashes to figuring out the flight paths of pirate cargo ships near the surface. They will take off and land from the platforms and make their way around the planet.

So I will have to see if there's a random way to determine what ship will spawn next. The worst case scenario is to use a timer block that advances the drone to be called every few seconds, then when a player gets in range it will spawn a new ship every so many minutes. The ship will stay live until I either delete it from over population or someone manages to shoot it down.

So the game will turn into ambushing cargo ships and when you're strong enough, taking out the pirate bases. I won't make it easy though.

2. Konis Trainee Engineer

That could also be equally cool but might require a bit of tweaking for the early game ^_^

3. rexxar Senior Engineer

Sorry guys, it was a change to the SE source code, there isn't really anything you can do to change the behavior at this point.

However, having them crash into planets has been requested basically ever time I've talked about fixing them. I've talked to the devs about it, so we'll see what we can come up with. No promises, though.

That said, I still have the cargo ship system in Essentials. I was going to just remove it entirely now that they're fixed in the game, but I think instead I'll change it to throw ships at the planet on purpose. Give me some time and I'll see what I can come up with.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Konis Trainee Engineer

Cheers for the reply Rexxar :)

I think a lot of people are just happy that they work now in general but would be a nice option to be able to toggle. Keep up the good work :)

5. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

Sweet, much appreciated :D

This does sound pretty awesome. Actively hunting moving targets would be a fun change of pace :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

Really like this idea and fits in well with strong pirate factions in the area. It would go a long ways towards explaining all the wrecks that keep appearing. And having pirate base and cargo ships to fight would give incentive to work together and explore the planet. As is there little reason travel more than 10km from your base since everything spawns in around you.

7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The great Rexxar has spoketh!!!

@rexxar seriously, thank you for taking an interest in this feature. If it's possible just to spawn a ship at the surface level that would be a great feature in addition. If not, beggars can't be choosers.

I am a little giddy at the idea of a network of pirate ships making runs between pirate bases and having to shoot them down for supplies.

My initial thoughts are:
    1. Dumb drones that just run cargo. No defenses. Disable enough thrusters and they'll crash.
    2. Smarter drones with better cargo. The will divert from the flight path and attack you if you get close enough.
    3. Station defense drones. Get close enough to a station and they will spawn and attack you.
    4. Hunter drones. They spawn and patrol the planet and then seek out players every so often for a fixed amount of time... then return to their flight path.

I can get drones to trigger an assortment of our current cargo ships as drones as they travel. I'll make it so they only do it so often if a player is close enough... not all the time. But we'll give Rexxar a chance to see what he comes up with.

if you'd like to help, I'm going to need ships and bases.

The majority of the drones will be small and perhaps a couple of large ones. You can decide what role they will take in your build. Just remember that the more blocks you use, the more lag.

Small ships should have a remote control that is seven blocks away from the very most bottom of the ship. They all need to be the same height so that they can touch down in the same place without crashing. Seven blocks gives enough height for turrets mounted to the bottom of ships as well. So you would be able to stack 7 blocks under the remote.

Large ships should have the remote mounted 4 blocks from the bottom. Same principle.

Beacons for both should be able to usually survive a surface impact and not easily shot off.

Stations should be well built but not extravagant. There should be a large landing area that can hold multiple small drones. At least four. At least a 15x15 flat area that is accessible from the air. They should be defended by turrets but not impossible to defeat and hold a lot of cargo space. They should include at least one beacon and one antenna that are reasonably protected by other blocks. Stations should also have a 5x5 FLAT base that can be anchored to a 5x5 foundation on the planet. This foundation can be temporary, but it needs to be the lowest part of the station. We can always add in any final armor blocks to anchor the station to its custom location. We may be using the same model more than once in different locations.

Thanks everyone who enjoys playing and especially those who've contributed ships and ideas. I honestly do enjoy putting time into this.

Of course, on the server I'm a little more gruff and colorful... but same guy.

8. Konis Trainee Engineer

Sounds like some great steps going forward looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Just remember not to add 2 many conveyor blocks :p As they're one of the major source problems atm for Sim speed ^_^

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

So as far as gameplay:
    I'm going to un-nerf projectors, reactors, etc. The only thing that will be nerfed will be refineries and arc furnaces. They will be in-game but not buildable. They will be out of the game completely. You'll have to either take over a pirate station or salvage one from a pirate station.
    Ion thruster output on planets will be returned to normal.

You'll have to find pirate bases. So exploring will be a good part of the game. I will create multiple versions of the same ship that are identical except for their travel paths. So ambushing a drone that's landed won't be obvious. Not every drone will visit every station.

Cargo Drones
    Basic Undefended cargo drone (small block).
    Lightly defended cargo drone (small block).
    Heavy cargo drone (large block).
    Cargo drones stick to their travel paths and do not deviate.

Patrol Craft:
    Light (small block)
    Med (small block heavily armed)
    Large (large block, heavily armed)
    Patrol craft follow the same paths as cargo drones. Except if they spot a player at a certain range, they break off of their path and attack. If a player is no longer in range or dead, they return to their path.

Hunters
    Hunters are rare but heavily armed and built for a fight. They will have their own unique flight paths but operate like patrol craft. Hunters don't stop until you kill them or they get killed. Once they find a target that's in range they won't stop pursuit. Unless someone else happens to wind up closer (possible strategy to lure Hunter's to an enemy base).

Mr. Bumbles
    I have to throw him in somewhere because everyone asks about him. He has no value in the game, really. He's only dangerous if you are absolutely unarmed. He will be considered a hunter.

Defenders
    If you get TOO close to a base, they will call in reinforcements. The value of the base will determine how well it is defended.

Pirate stations
    They will come in levels of difficulty, size, and type. Each station will have a pirate antenna. Spawning of cargo drones, patrol craft, hunters, and defenders will be controlled by each of these stations. If you are within a certain range, it will spawn a ship periodically, except defenders. Yes, you could camp in range to force more drones to spawn... but eventually you will spawn a hunter. You will wish you hadn't. But that's part of the game.

If I find that a pirate station has been taken over, I'll remove it from the flight paths. This will be a manual check as their is no way to automate the process. If I see a lot of drones dying at pirate base, I'm going to investigate anyways.

Clean-ups
    Name ALL of your vehicles and bases. Unnamed vehicles will be considered garbage and will be purged. Cry to someone else.
    Mark every wreck you are working on with a solid color. You can quickly repaint anything. So use it. Then I'll know it's a trophy that's being parted.
    Grind down your trophies QUICKLY. I'll delete trophies that I feel have been around too long. So don't stockpile.
    If there are too many uncaptured drones in play, I'll delete those too. It just depends on server sim speed.

Banning
    Griefers... banned.
    Spawnship spammers... banned.
    Dalek... banned. :)

But it will definitely be a PVP server... so I imagine people will be working in teams to take down targets but we may have some faction on faction fighting since cargo drones follow a flight path and those will be easy to figure out. Opposing players that are taking down drones means less drones for you. Wouldn't be a bad idea to find them.

I'm open to more ideas. But more ideas means more work and we have to get something out sooner than later. So unless it's like super-f'ing fabulous, don't expect me to implement it unless you're willing to make it or code it yourself.

Once the game gets going, I'll extend the system to space stations between planets. I may even do ships that touch down on planets as well, but I'm not sure how reliable the remote block is between space and atmosphere.

Feedback always welcome.

10. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

Sounds absolute amazing!!

11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Alright... step one is in place.

Step #2 will be having cargo drones pick up cargo from their home platforms then deliver to the other platforms in their circle. This has probably been done by lots of other people. But I have to take baby-steps making sure the game mechanics are solid first. If this works out, drones will be constantly shuttling and distributing cargo to each base. In effect, they will randomize their cargo by having different schedules, different sizes of cargo containers, and I'll vary things by adding varying amounts of ice ballast to the cargo ships. They will be able to receive ice, but not output it. So really old ships will have 100% ice in their cargos. This will ensure that cargo is even further randomized as ice builds up in their inventories.

I'll then restock the cargo containers via SEToolbox, refuel drones, and change up the cargo on drones that are completely filled with ice.

If any of you are handy with programmable block scripting, that would save me a lot of trial and error. I can lay out a flow chart of what I want to happen if someone wants to code it. It won't be a lot of coding: probably one to two days at most.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Konis Trainee Engineer

Sounds great! All I'd ask is don't forget to put Splashtop/AnyDesk/etc one of those remote clients on the server so you're able to reset them for those of us outside of the US :p

13. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

I can have a look this weekend. What do you need done exactly? A docking/cargo manager script or something?

14. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

i hope we can bring the wrecks back. i am sure that there is a way to solve the Problem.

15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Pirate antenna spawn, but it's a little more complicated than the simple example that Keen uses... and by a little more complicated I mean just a little more complicated, not a lot.

I'll put together a flow chart of what I want with as many details as possible to make the coding easier. The spawning should appear random to the player. You have to be in a certain range of the pirate base for it to spawn transports. However, spawning transports also means the possibility of spawning a Hunter which is very bad news. If you get TOO close, the base (depending on the variety) will spawn a number of defensive drones. Each base will spawn drones that are unique to it.

The next task is programming the logic of the hunters and the patrol craft. They both will follow a circular GPS path. When an enemy gets in range, the first remote's autopilot will disengage and the second remote will take over tracking the player. When the enemy is dead or out of range, the second remote will rise the drone up a few hundred meters and then disable the second remote and resume the autopilot on the first remote.

16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I liked it... but what I've got cookin' will be a little more intensive and a lot more fun. Shooting down cargo drones, having other drones attack you. It'll be a lot more pro-active rather than just waiting for shit to fall from the sky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

Thats true. i will contribute to this idea ( i am building atm a pirate-Station for u)

18. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Cool. Don't get too involved in this yet. I have to formalize the requirements. But here are the initial ones: the landing pad has to be 75 meters above ground. So you're going to want to think about building vertically.

Pads need a minimum of two connectors that sit flush with the deck: one out, and one in. A conveyor sorter should be placed right under each connector. In the outgoing connector, fill it completely with stone so it gets bypassed when the sorter pushes inventory. You will need a minimum of one large cargo container.

Your defenses should be fed through a separate conveyor system than the main storage, it should be connected to main storage by a conveyor that only whitelists turret ammo. There should be a separate cache for gatling ammo and missile ammo. I would set a conveyor sorter before and after each ammo cargo container and set them to passive and white list the ammo that should be stored there. That way when the main sorter pulls ammo from the main cargo storage, it will push it to the appropriate cargo containers.

19. Konis Trainee Engineer

Server down till you rework it Ronin?

From what I saw from Rexxar you should be able to keep the server running the old way as long as you use SE Essentials.

20. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

Ronin, are you thinking of doing a server wipe/restart with these fundamental changes or continue as is?

21. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  22. SayHi2Jesus4Me Trainee Engineer

Yes, having something to do when in the game is always a plus. :)

23. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm considering a wipe... I won't be deleting the game save. Rexxar is thinking of making a new plug-in that allows cargo ships to spawn near planets (just the opposite of what it used to do).

As far as wiping, I'm thinking of going to the Earthlike planet and removing the ice (maybe not remove the ice). I like the deeper canyons on it and it'll be a little more interesting than vast amounts of sand. Watching a drone fly through a canyon and work terrain would be aesthetically more pleasing than over a bunch of flat barren land.

24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

25. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

Yes it has defenses. (if it is not enough u can add some battery powered outer turrets)

And i would like to Keep Dantus or an similar desolated planet with Canyons (and flat plains for wheeled vehicles)

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

I think a programmable block that renames or enables/disables antennae based on some conditions would do the trick, along with some entries in PirateAntennas.sbc and SpawnGroups.sbc. It sounds quite easy, although I've never messed with pirate spawns before.

That also sounds quite doable. Turning remotes or their autopilot on/off should be trivial. Finding a suitable point to rise to would be the hardest bit I guess, but iirc the remote API has a method which tells you which way is up.

Either way, I'm pretty sure I can whip up a prototype for both the spawners and drone behaviour tomorrow.

27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Cool...don't put too much work into it as I fully haven't laid out the details.

My idea for pirate stations is to have two timer blocks: timer block A repeats every 7 seconds, it advances to the next spawn ship in an array, once it reaches the end of the array it starts at the beginning again. It also checks to see if a player has ventured into the station defense zone where it calls in defender drones to thwart a possible attack if the player is within that distance.

The second timer triggers a check to see if a player is within a secondary boundary zone. If so, it spawns the current drone set by the array mentioned above. Players will have to park near the station to force it to spawn a drone. But by doing so, it might trigger an easy to kill cargo drone into the game (which then follows its preprogrammed autopilot course, or it might spawn in a hunter which attacks the player instead. A little risk and reward... as well as a way to keep the drone population down as players have to trigger new ones to be spawned. If they camp a station to spam drones, they'll probably trigger a hunter at some point and get blasted.

Getting the ship to rise wouldn't be too hard. Planetary ships stay level, so calling the remotes current location then calculating a vector directly above it a 500 hundred meters shouldn't be too bad. Once it reaches that height, switch back to the first remote so it can continue its normal flight path.

28. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

Just had a freaky little incident experimenting with the pirate drone spawn mechanics. I figured I'd use antennae that spawn one drone each second, and have them active for exactly one second whenever I need it to spawn*. Built a little test setup with a sensor and two timers (fly in front of sensor -> antenna is turned on and timer is started -> 1 second later antenna is turned off), then transferred all blocks to SPRT just to see if it works.

It worked. And it went Skynet on me. The first drone that spawned immediately shot the timer that would turn off the antenna. With the antenna permanently on, it would continue to spawn drone reinforcements every second. Clever little buggers O_o

* I did realize this could potentially be exploited for extremely fast resource grinding, but wanted to see if it could work before tackling that problem.

• Funny Funny x 3
  29. Konis Trainee Engineer

Rofl, fucking Skynet already embedded in our games ;)

30. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

A Question: is the whole idea and the concept with the SPRT bases and drones doable ? Áre we Players able to mod and script those Things ?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.