Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Scavenger World Server.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ronin1973, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

Yes, KSH even wrote a nice guide about pirate spawn modding :)
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519946091

I just finished my first custom spawner prototype. It looks up the nearest player every 10 seconds; if they're within 500 meters, the station spawns one light drone. If the player is within 50 meters, it also spawns a heavier drone. It's all pretty basic and hacked together, but the concept seems to work well enough. You can download it at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=666742381

Edit: Added a third drone with a 50% chance to spawn if a player is within 500 meters, meant as a prototype for hunter spawns. The final spawn chance would of course be lower and possibly tied to some conditions.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. Konis Trainee Engineer

@Ronin1973

Any ETA on when the server will be back up, or are you just going to keep it down till you've fully setup this new setup?

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Until a work around for spawning cargo ships in gravity wells is figured out, the server is about pointless. I don't think anyone was very far along in the game... just a few basic dwellings. I'll probably start a new one... maybe on a different planet depending on what best suits.

4. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

I would like to see the Alien planet in XXL^^

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, with a tiny bit of programming, I got the drones to not land on top of each other. There are about 5 lines of code. Basically, when the drone hits a waypoint, it writes its current location into the waypoint list on an auxiliary remote and turns on the sensor. If another ship is detected underneath, it turns off the autopilot on the main remote and turns the autopilot on aboard the auxiliary and flies back to the same position as the waypoint. It then delays for one minute and then tries again. If no ship is in its way then it continues on about its business of docking with connectors and flying off to other waypoints.

The rest is handled by waypoint actions and timers. The sensor block only comes on during the landing cycle. Too many active sensors can hurt server sim speed. So they are only on briefly.

My goal at this point is to create a generic drone that has functionality that can easily be replicated. I want people building their own drones and adding them to the game for some variety in form and functionality.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Konis Trainee Engineer

As far as I'm aware rexxar said that the cargoship code in Essentials should still be functioning as it was before and if used I would presume we can still get the Cargo Ships to rain from the sky :p. *EDIT*Hmm can't seem to find where I read this at work the other day =/

There just isn't many decent servers up at the moment and me and a buddy are a bit homeless till your one comes back up =D

**EDIT 2** You could also roll the server back to "old_multiplayer" aka 1.127 for the time being allowing us to play on there till you have the new server ready :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  7. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

I just uploaded a first prototype for a hunter drone AI: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=667088639

Right now it just follows its patrol, then engages any player that wanders within 50 meters. If the player flees beyond 100 meters, the patrol is resumed. The disengaging behaviour isn't implemented yet and I haven't tested it in atmosphere. I might add that tomorrow if I have time.

8. SayHi2Jesus4Me Trainee Engineer

What are the specifications for the different types of drones? I've been playing around with some variants on a basic design. I guess the remote control placement will be important? Might have to move some things around if it needs to be in a certain place.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Alright. I just published the drone alpha world. If you want to tinker with it you have to friend request me.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963236006

There are a bunch of drones buzzing about three different towers. You will probably want to reset ownership of everything. The easiest way is to use SEToolbox and go in and change ownership to you once you've entered the world and saved it with you in it. Doing a "reset ownership" might have a funky affect on the ability to dock with connectors.

Feel free to study how the drone works and build your own cargo drone for the server! They can be unarmed or armed, small grid or big grid.

The first thing that I request is that you keep the scripting down to a minimum, continually running timer blocks, sensors, etc.

For blocks of all size, for compatibility, the rule is that your connector must be flush with the lowest blocks on your ship. On top of your connector must sit a conveyor, and on top of the conveyor your main navigational remote block. We need to do this to minimize the recomputing of GPS waypoints while docking.

Enjoy.

10. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

Ok i just finished a new SPRT Base for the Server.This time is the Plattform 75m above the ground and i managed to get a sorter system inside the Tower.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=667472824 i hope it will fullfill all requirements. (Programmable blocks/timer and Sorter are not set up)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

@B0mm316 That, sir is awesome.

I really appreciate EVERYONE who is participating.

This morning I will go get some coffee. Because computers and coffee... you just can't have one without the other.

THEN, I will select a planet to play on. I really want to do another oversized planet. I just have visions of drones buzzing through deep canyons and looking down into a valley and finding a pirate base with lots of activity going on.

As far as pirate bases, I'm thinking of three classes of bases:
    1. Smaller outlying bases like the one B0mm316 just workshoped.
    2. Medium hubs which service a network of the small bases.
    3. The pirate's main base which can be much bigger as it will be the showpiece of the server.

The size of ships spawned, the defenses, and how aggressively it defends itself will depend on what class of base it is. You'll be able to get a little closer to the outlying bases. I'd stay FAR away from the main base.

I'm going to create some shareable docs in Google.
    a. Draw IO which will be a visual aid for bases placed in the world and how they relate to each other.
    b. A spreadsheet that gives the GPS coordinates of each base and any other relevant info you might want to look up, as well as all the GPS coordinates showing the GPS "highways" between each base.

If I get enough people who are participating, I'll make a creative version of the world and lock it behind my steam group. Then we can work on the ACTUAL server world together and try out ideas. It'll be your server world as much as mine.
    I'm only going to open it up to people who've logged hours on the original Dantus while in creative development.

We'll get the server "good 'nuff" to play on and then make improvements as the game continues. It WILL be a pirate planet. But I know people are eager to play, so I'm not going to turn this into some sort of Star Citizen build. LOL.

• Like Like x 2
  12. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

Ronin what are u thinking about Voxel- resetts ? Players dont like big save files ( it will take a loong time to load ,everytime when u have to reconnect). With Voxel resetts u are able to Keep the file small, the planet pretty and it helps keeping the Server stable for o Long time (I know a Server with voxel-resett System with a 1 mb big world after 5 months)

To resett Voxels u have to copy the Planet file, after u placed the Planet. When u want to resett the voxels ( maybe after an clean-up) u have to delete the Planet-file und replace it with the old ( the Planet should be restored and everything on it will stay).

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Just been trying some drone designs based off of that hunter drone concept flarefire posted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Planning on building a light spotter drone that calls in reinforcement drones when a target is detected as well as a medium assault drone.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

Those drones look totally badass. Nice to see you got the hunter script to run on your own drones :tu:

I've just released a new version with the disengaging behaviour described by @Ronin1973. It's also got a shiny new body. I still have some ideas to make the drone smarter about how it engages players and expresses its state, hopefully they'll make it in over the coming week. You can download the new drone here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=667943174

• Like Like x 1
  15. Konis Trainee Engineer

A neat idea for these drones not sure if possible or if ye have already done it would be to add a light on them Spotlight or Interior depending on size. Have the light settings on it all set to minimal and have the light set to Green when the drone is just patrolling but as soon as it has found a target etc set the light to red. Would just be an interesting bit of immersion =D

• Like Like x 2
  16. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

My thoughts exactly when I added the lights to my latest drone. It seems great minds think alike :)

Just imagine, you're out hunting cargo drones for supplies, and spot one flying off in the distance. You can't quite make out the type, so you move in to see what it is. Just when you spot the moving barrel of a turret, the drone turns to you. Its spotlights turn red, like the glowing, bloodshot eyes of some monstrous predator. Except this one has rocket launchers designed to wreck military craft. Now there's an oh @#$% moment to remember :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

First of all EXCELLENT JOB on those two stations. I'm going to make a couple of small modifications to them to make sure the turrets always have an adequate of ammo cached (I think you did that for most of the larger tower turrets). I'm also wanting to use your first one as well. It's great too. I'll add in the sorters so that it pushes and pulls cargo to connectors. I like that you have both push and pull sorters for each of the connectors on the larger. Then the tower can be set up for a specific location (2 push, 2 pull) (1 pull, 3 push) etc.

I would also like towers with just two connectors that are pretty tiny. I'm also looking for the mega-base with multiple landing pads spread out from each other. These pads will ALSO have to hold large block drones for moving masses of components and ore. The station should have at least one refinery and one assembler. The interior should also contain a relatively large empty space or large empty room that's wired up to the conveyor system. If we need to expand the capabilities or add improvements etc., we have some place to build.

ALSO: IMPORTANT

Feel free to use these mods where applicable:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=298822034
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=647879048
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=571641647
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=644104483

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  18. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

By the time you see the spotlights... you're dead already. :)

All of the drones and stations will display just a generic "Beacon" so you won't be able to tell what type it is until you can visually confirm it. If it's static, it's probably a station. If it's moving, it's probably a drone. If the beacon changes name from "Beacon" to "Target Acquired" well, I wouldn't wait around to see what kind of pretty little lights it has on it. :)

19. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Awesome. Some points: don't use hydrogen as the drones may or may not be able to refill their tanks. Stick with atmospheric only at this point. Instead of calling in drones... per-say... how about calling in a couple of player made missiles (without warheads) that home in on the target as well? Make them really simple. The idea is that it is firing off a couple of missiles as a vanguard before the actual assault. Then coming in with its guns to finish off the target.

20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm spamming my own thread.. but I like keeping the messages separate.

Okay... I selected a world after previewing a bunch of them. Nothing beats "Earthlike"

I generated an Earth that is 3x bigger than normal. So big that it swallowed the moon. LOL

I placed B0mm's two prototype towers on it. They look nice. I named one "Adam" and the other "Eve" I mapped one drone from Adam to Eve and verified the flight-path. No collisions. I still have to do the return path.

Adam will be a hub, there will be 3 more "Eve" towers as the satellites, no more than 75km from Adam. There will be a few more hubs and each with its own set of satellites. I'll have to define where the "Main" base will be, but it'll be around 200-300km from Adam. The additional hubs will then be located 200-300km from the Main base.

The respawn area will be close by to the network of hubs, so the player should be able to find them. We'll also have drones patrolling the border of the network to extend the likelihood of players finding the network. We can get as creative as we like over time. But for now we're just doing the proof of concept. I have a bunch of ideas for more immersive play and have the drones actually participate in playing the game. I know there's an automated planetary mining drone out there. So it may be possible for the Pirate Faction to actually PLAY the game as far as mining, moving material, processing ore, assembling components and uranium ingots, and then delivering them to all of the towers/bases. But that's further down the line.

If you've friended me on Steam then you'll find the world uploaded to my workshop. Feel free to download it and look around a bit.

I'm thinking of creating a master instance of this world and putting it up on the server, changing the server to creative, and then granting access through my workshop group. Everyone who has logged time in on the Scavenger server and wants to participate is open to consideration for access to the live creative server. Then we can split the tasks of building it up and making changes. Everyone else who wants to participate can friend me on Steam and then download the world. I'll update the world as we progress for people who only have download access. You can submit changes by uploading your own copy of the world and I can manually add them to the master. Just give me the GPS of where you'll be adding bases so that I can determine if that's a suitable site. Since the live server will be creative, I can't let just anybody have access to the work in progress with creative tools.

I think we can get a live game server up in 1-2 weeks, depending on everyone else's level of participation. Oh, and FULL credit will be given in the workshop as well as some place special on the server that will be known as Valhala.

21. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

Here is my first contribution to the server. Its can serve as a heavy armed small cargo ship to reach outlying outposts or can serve in base defense functions.

[​IMG]

Steam Workship Link: Shrike

22. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Tbh the hydrogen was more for fun so it would catch me more easily.
    Only slight issue is making them a bit more survivable so when they hit the ground you have a bit more left to salvage. I could probably do that with a few blast door blocks or maybe a parachute+sensor.

One other though is that the largest cargo drone could "carry" a pair of very light drones that spawn in to harass any attackers but have a long enough delay that they will only do so once during any given interaction

Maybe even a hive assault drone that does the same but with better equiped drones.

23. SayHi2Jesus4Me Trainee Engineer

Are you sure about making the planet 3x larger? That's around 1200 km in circumference, with a surface area of over 430000 km... I'm sure it looks great, but I'm concerned there won't be any player interaction if its too big. Playing on Dantus made it seem like we were completely isolated (which was cool), but I was hoping as more players stuck around eventually we could form allied or rival factions. I don't know how practical that is when the planet is bigger than that.

24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

What I like best is the space and the height of valleys and mountains. It's a LOT more immersive. So we'll only be using a fraction of the planet to begin with. The drones need some distance to be vulnerable. I'll be sure to have players spawn in where they can easily pick up on a beacon.

25. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Can you reconfigure it without the cockpit and make it a little more compact? I suppose if you're going to do that you might want to just start from scratch.

26. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

Shouldn't be any trouble. Lot of the size is more for aesthetics anyways. Can chop the cockpit and most of the wing area if need be without trouble. Can remove a couple thrusters as well but may not be able to carry a full cargo load.

27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You can get rid of the cockpit and the static weaponry. I would remove the stub wings with the decoys attached.

28. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

Is the conveyor atop the connector set in stone or would a cargo container of the same dimensions be an acceptable substitute? Can make more compact designs if so

29. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, the height of the small ship with respect to the connector goes connector>conveyor>main remote. We have to standardize this so we can reuse the same GPS coordinates to dock for all of the ships. Large ships will have their own docking GPS but follow the same standard. The remote has to be directly over the connector so that the ship will line up as it can spin in any direction while docking.

30. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

Here is an updated version of the Shrike with cockpit removed, wings scaled back, static guns removed and some thruster changes. Not as sexy but lighter, more compact and a bit more maneuverable.

[​IMG]

Link to Steam Workshop: Shrike Lt Variant

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.