Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

SE - Abandoned/Finished

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragonspride, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Should Keen Release SE as open source if they abandon it?

1. I agree

49 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. I dissagree

34 vote(s)
    37.4%
  3. I don't know

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Is this creature called a cornicorn?

2. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Wouldn't it be redundant? :D That's just standard unicorn :D It has one corn... cornicorn... that would need corn of corns... hmmm... that could be fractalized into corn of corn of corn... etc. :D
    I also had created a doublecorn... Had plans to make triplecorn, tetracorn and up to octocorn (that would be octopus with corns at the ends of tentacles :D), but I never got to finish it.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It's all so clear to me now!

4. Calaban Junior Engineer

A Corninu, obviously.

[yeah, i guess this topic is officially Abandoned/Unfinished]

5. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Topic derail attempt by games own staff? WHAT SORT OF MAD WORLD IS THIS!?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

What confuses me is that if that is a Unicorn (with one corn) why isn't one with a horn called a Unihorn???

Madness indeed.

7. ViroMan Senior Engineer

From HERE

8. Calaban Junior Engineer

..so then a Unifrumentacorn. much less catchy though

9. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Exactly my point!!! Finaly I am not the only one who came to that conclusion! :D
    --- Automerge ---
    Man, that's like if someone asked "Can someone pass me a butter, please?" and you just passed him the butter and then stabbed butterknife into his stomach...
    It explained a lot, but also ruined all the fun as we were really close to start cult of unihorns... or at least create new conspiration theory... In the end, I hope we all can agree that there are fake unicorns (unihorns) and true unicorns (unifrumentacorns)
    --- Automerge ---
    Ehm... man... See the name of topic? SE has been abandoned and finished, so we moved to a new topic. :D
    --- Automerge ---
    Just noticed... Did I just use my hundredth post to talk abou unicorns? (or redundancy of "cornicorn"):D

10. Georgik Apprentice Engineer

Did I hear unicorns are confirmed to be added to SE??
    HypeeeEE....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  11. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

SE is far from abandoned, they are still releasing mini-patches without changing the patch notes on the loading screen. How do I know this? I modify the character.sbc file so that on x1 inventory size my character still has the 4000 from x10 size but vehicles and ships are x1. I get the convienience of the larger personal inventory for building but have to actually consider cargo space and mass on my builds. Every so often SE runs a mini-update when I start up and my change reverts just like it used to when they released "official" patches.

Gives them "plausable deniability" when they go and break one thing trying to fix another.

12. Georgik Apprentice Engineer

@May Rears Nope. They are not touching game files. They haven't for 2 months.

13. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

No, they will appear in separate game Unicorn Engineers.

14. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Now we need someone to make a unicorn robot in SE that uses the laser mod to shoot rainbows out its anus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Amen. There's nothing else to say. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Sinbad Senior Engineer

careful there...

back on topic: i always preferred monoceros to unicorn. although semibicorn would be cool too.

17. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

In response to a comment I made about encountering things in space,
    The real Space, yeah. SE space... isn't that up to the player? I mean, you can configure your game so that... things... can or might happen anywhere, including space. I don't think Keen needs to do that for us, as long as we can open a world and put whatever planets we want wherever we want them and as far apart as we like. Personally, if I had a world with two planets spaced 20 thousand km apart that would be fine and my large ship would not be out of place.

Practically speaking, most gameplay right now takes place within 5 thousand km of Earthlike or maybe Marslike. People build up one small spot out of all area available and suddenly game has issues. Since game doesn't make anything happen if you venture into space, no one ventures into space. However, nothing happens on planets, either. At least, nothing even brand new player can't handle. What's the difference? Planets are familiar. They have what space does not have: gravity and air. Life is simpler. Challenge (in my opinion) is diminished.

So it means you shouldn't do it or there is no good reason? If you think about it, there is no good reason to do anything in Space Engineers. You do an Easy Start Earth and crash land on the surface and live, you don't have to do anything else. You won't die (except for boredom). Any action you take from that point is because you want to. Saying you need a reason to do something in SE is to ask why did you buy SE? Just to say you have it? Impress your friends? No, there was something you wanted to do and somehow you were convinced you might be able to do it. You do something that actually works close enough to the way you want, you are inspired to go further. One day you make a fighter, weeks later you have a fleet. One day you have a drill ship, weeks later you have mining facility. At some point people either ask "what next?" or "where next?". If next planet is right on top of you, answer is simple. Goal is easy. If next planet is 20 thousand km away, not so simple. All that space, anything could happen. Not to be taken lightly. Probably won't get it done in one sitting. For me this is more interesting game than crash on planet and build base to build ship to get off planet. Better if more people are involved.

I live in Alaska. I was in the Army and carried an M16 with a grenade launcher attached. I'm not in the Army any more and that sort of weapon no longer makes any sense for me. I have guns because there's bears and wolves out there, but I would not waste a dime on an assault rifle. I'm practical about such things. Not everyone is. A lot of assault rifles were sold here. Not for hunting or bear protection. No good reason, in my opinion. Still, you ask someone why they bought one, they have reasons.

Impractical decisions in SE are not so deadly. Although, when the game lags because there are three large ships in my world that does kill the mood ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Malware Master Engineer

Funny, I always had the opposite feeling... That space is the less challenging.

Materials everywhere, no gravity to interfere with my building, plenty of ice to keep me stocked with oxygen and hydrogen...

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Yeah, because gravity makes everything much easier. :-D
    --- Automerge ---
    Exactly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

Wolves are feeling!
    Any time now!
    [​IMG]

21. Georgik Apprentice Engineer

That's totally wrong. Have you tried any real survival on planet, the one you don't start with everything and has 1-1-1?

In reality yes, space is more dangerous because of radiation, overheating, lack of food and water pressure loss actually MEAN something (not just fancy particle effects and few percent of oxygen reserves out, quickly replaced by tons of ice in your cargo), microasteroids puncturing your ship, dangerous orbital waste, aggresive alien forms of life etc.. Now you are happy on planet, but in SE planets have only few benefits, and on the other hand gravity is your huge enemy.

22. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

I am a big fan of survival mechanics which is why my time is split between SE and Empyrion however dropping to 1-1-1 has nothing to do with survival. All that does is increase annoyance and the time taken to do something and the mistake that many make is time=difficulty. Another example of this is my "difficult start" escape pod. Small grid with cockpit, 2 batteries, oxygen tank, oxygen generator, the 3 basic tools, 1 hydrogen bottle, 1 oxygen bottle and 2k ice (going to remove the 3 tools soon). You are totally reliant on the random unknown signals for components until you have enough for further facilities but even this does not make the game more difficult it just takes longer to get to where you need to be.

Indeed, fortunately there are a few mods out there which introduce a couple of those things.

23. Georgik Apprentice Engineer

Lower volume settings force players to think about their future choices. You can go mine ore by hand for tens of minutes until you get enough of it to your truck, or you make your engineering skills useful and make yourself a mining machine. You can do both. But if you want to do sophisticated solutions, with 1-1-1 you have reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

oh no. now the robot unicorn attack song is in my head...
    [​IMG]

25. Malware Master Engineer

I'm for the most part in agreement. My problem is that I really want 3x player inventory and 1x the rest, because 1x is too low and ship inventories should never have been touched by the multiplier from the get go.

Problem with 1x player inventory is that there are so many situations where a utility ship is too large to fit. That is where 1x just becomes tedious.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

I see this very often, and the mistake that many also make is to say 1:1:1 has nothing to do with survival.

Yes, it absolutely does increase time and annoyance. It also increases difficulty. With 400L of space on your person you can't carry 5 bottles of hydrogen. You can't hover for 10 minutes while you figure out what you're going to build (or for any other reason really). Consequently your range is reduced which hurts the unlucky players search for resources. It affects how/what you make in that the savvy player will prioritize toolships, cargo transports, rovers etc. to make their life easier. Damage from whatever reason is much more costly and difficult to repair, and where this really shines is in conjunction with a race against Pirates, meteors, spiders, and PVP.

1:1:1 players also see the game differently. I'll watch a W4sted stream where they have 10x inventory and a build/repair mod and think 'why aren't they just in Creative'? 1x'ers conceptualize what they are building better/faster because they have to. That cool looking ship with the 100 extra armour blocks solely for shape? No way I'd waste time/fuel on that in 1x.

There are good reasons for all the multiplier modes but to dismiss 1x inventory as an unchallenging waste of time is an unfair characterization.

27. Malware Master Engineer

I also really wish people would be courteous enough to tell me what it is about a post they disagree with when the post contains multiple concepts... Right now that disagree mark is meaningless :p

Wild guess, the multiplier on ship inventory thing. Which is a bit surprising, it's the first time I've gotten a negative when talking about my opinion on that... most people seems to agree that the idea of having vanilla builds that's incompatible with vanilla servers due to storage space differences is rather ridiculous, not to mention how much trouble it causes for scripters... But to each their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  28. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

I like the idea that personal and ship inventories should be separate multipliers, but disagree that ship inventory multipliers should be removed altogether.

People like options.

29. Malware Master Engineer

@Burstar Options that would still be available with mods. I'm talking about keeping vanilla uniform.

Keen has dug themselves into a hole with all these options, because they need to test the game with all permutations of those options. Lots of them could be left to mods, which would leave more time available for Keen because the responsibility shifts.

The more options, the more chances of bugs. People don't like bugs.

(thank you for actually telling me what you disagree with :p )
    --- Automerge ---
    My opinion has always been that Keen should have chosen a playstyle and stuck to it (even if that would likely be a playstyle not really matching what I personally like), and left the rest to mods. We would have gotten more focus that way, rather than trying to support everybody's way of playing. I don't understand why they should need both high degree of official modding support and a billion and one built-in options.

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

What hole exactly have KSH dug themselves into? The multipliers option hasn't been a problem since I started playing this game, nor have I ever heard anyone else take issue with its existence.

As for 'not understanding'. Welp. No point in trying to explain it to you.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to file this one under 'the internet arguing to argue'.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.