Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

SE - Abandoned/Finished

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragonspride, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Should Keen Release SE as open source if they abandon it?

1. I agree

49 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. I dissagree

34 vote(s)
    37.4%
  3. I don't know

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

@Stardriver907 Empyrion. I couldn't help but notice you didn't spell it the same twice(and not one of them was right...) KUDOS to you.

There was once, a long time ago that I could play this game. But that time has come and gone as the changes have rendered my system unable to play it... especially when you count in all the ridiculous simspeed related bugs, in fact I could only play it on a dedicated server since it took a chunk of the processing load off of my machine.... But we all know how well dedicated servers work. So I haven't been actually able to play the game in many months.

I still love checking back here to see how little has changed with the game, how impossible it is for KSH to actually eliminate bugs, and for cheap laughs at loyalists and dissenters alike. Even after being unable to play the game... I Can still enjoy it and isn't that worth something?

@Taemien The poll didn't include an option for "Don't give a f*ck what keen does with their sh*t" so... I didn't vote.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Trust your feelings, Luke. The game isn't finished yet.

I think the "extreme dirty windows" era was the most revealing about the community. This community will use the term "unplayable" faster than a modded Titan engine. First, the dirt/scratches were distracting but they did not impede vision. Second, the windows were placeholders and for whatever other reason they went overboard on the dirt, they needed to know what the limits were. The game was in Alpha. No reasonable person had any business believing the glass would stay that way.

I disagree, especially since Emperon's implementation turned out to be so lame. Sure, some fans would have moved just because there were planets, but as we now know just having planets is not enough. If Keen had committed to planets but had held off implementation until around this time, who knows how much better planets would be now. Liquid water? Perhaps a more reasonable facsimile for water than ice? More biome variety?

The "concurring product" was clearly trying to get the jump on Keen for producing a new space survival game. Unfortunately they didn't do their homework, otherwise they would have known Keen wasn't making a space survival game. This is an example of gamer twitchiness at it's finest.

Just my way of demonstrating my respect for the game and the developers that made it.

3. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

Please read the context! This game will not be more profitable overtime after finished, especially if they plan to make a better version

4. Malware Master Engineer

That's years away. And if they make a better version, who will care about this version at all? Who will care enough to take on the huge job of coordinating this game, for free?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

... dude, :stare:
    Before launch a game there's some time developing, it can spend years or not.
    Exists open source and Open Source Initiative, so it can be not full free. So they can sell, free distribute , charge fee for modded versions, ...
    It open a lot of different advantages.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  6. Wicorel Senior Engineer

I'm really having problems parsing that English. Can you try again?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Malware Master Engineer

So you're saying they should take on the huge job of coordinating this while developing the new title. Because that went so well last time. You are aware they already tried that yes? There were so many rubbish contributions to filter through to find the useful ones. It's a full time job.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Netherspark Trainee Engineer

I've just come back to the game after many months and I'm seeing a bunch of uproar on Youtube over some recent dev Q&A, where they seem to suggest Space Engineers won't be getting any more updates and that the lead developer is ceasing work on the game. Granted this all seems to be coming from the same person... but I don't see any mention of it here.

Can someone fill me in?

Links to the videos. Is this just one guy being a drama queen?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. TenshouYoku Apprentice Engineer

MeowCaptain is overemphasising or just being super pessimistic the fact that the game will not have any major content changes after 1.186.5. Dude claimed Marek being a sexist after he said female engineers is not going to be a thing in the short run.

So basically, KSH said that they will end Space Engineers' state as a Beta and will finalize the game. They will not add new blocks or new features before ending Beta and will focus on debugging and stabilize multiplayer, and no more once-per-week update but instead will release major patches when completed the debugging.

10. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

I think "over emphasizing" is a charitable description. Feels much more like a campaign to malign as much as possible. Made me wonder what Keen had done to so personally offend them.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Meowcaptain clearly chose a clickbaity way to express disappointment with Marek's decision to finalize the game.

"bunch of uproar" "is Meow captain a drama queen?", * links only Meowcaptains clickbait without doing a simple read of Marek's blog or the dozen other posts here or on Reddit discussing this.... Troll much?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Scoot Trainee Engineer

Chill guys, Meowcaptain is actually Cathy Newman

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Sarekh Senior Engineer

aren't you a classy boy

14. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Hmmm.... ok, I'll admit it... i have no idea why that is pertinent.

15. Sarekh Senior Engineer

it's not. It's a pile of insecurity dressed in a joke, that's what it is. But hey, why go for the topic of the thread if you have the chance to aim at derailing and flamebaiting?

16. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That’s a pur-r-r-r-fect response!

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Jikanta Apprentice Engineer

Drama? Yes. Nothing new though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Scoot Trainee Engineer

19. Cetric Junior Engineer

All rumors going on about 'abandoning' really let me suspect it's spread by people who have an interest in damaging SE, thus it is to be considered a campaign. And some fools jump on this like on any other hype train. That's been calculated with and depended on.
    --
    Classic question: "Cui bono?"
    Would have to think into direction of a concurring developer company. And those youtube-personalities are mere 'influencers' who are sought for their magnifying effect. And presumably paid for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Scoot Trainee Engineer

So we have three options then:
    1) confused individual
    2) youtube add revenue
    3) sabotage from rival company

21. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 4
  22. aka13 Trainee Engineer

Yeah, great. Just like gta V, robocraft and all the other shitty "let's try to milk underaged fanbase" type of games. Totally speaks of quality and game's lifecycle.

I have another game I enjoy to play, which I discoveresd around that time I discovered space engineers, factorio, and I know which one made more progress and which one is not abandoned. But I am not here to convince you of anything. You don't have to believe the things I believe. Grow up!

23. Dan2D3D Moderator

Hi Guys! I'm receiving alerts here and after reading I've noticed that this thread is a Duplicate and I could delete it but I will merge it.

Merging ...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

In the absence of official information, rumors and opinions are the only things talked about. I think Keen needs to clearly state what to expect... we're in the end-game... no pun intended... so it's not like things will change or change much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

If they are ever going to get funds for further development they are going to have to either crap or get off the pot and release the game in the best state they can. Micro-transactions are not going to cut it, they saw the shtaco that hit the turbine with the paid Halloween skin.

If they close it then they close it, I have certainly got my moneys worth with 3.5k hours.

26. TenshouYoku Apprentice Engineer

You made me actually google that because I don't understand latin at all. But yeah that's super true, especially how excessively negative MeowCaptain and a few dudes around that spread news like SE being abandoned are like.

I don't think there is another game (apart from Minecraft, but that is when I got dudes to play with across the network) that I've dumped so much time to play with. Not perfect? Sure, but I got more than enough I can work on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Malware Master Engineer

...Or it's just a disgruntled player that also happens to make youtube videos. The only "interest in damaging SE" would be the fact that they didn't get what they wanted so they're throwing a tantrum. That they might be getting some revenue out of it is an extra bonus and incentive.

Yish. Conspiracy theorists. The world really isn't that complicated.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  28. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

the closest thing to official information I've heard in a while(that they made visible. if there's some notes elsewhere...) is basically moaning about how "hard" it is to tell people what's going on. alas,unless there's a change of heart the frustration over whether there will be more or not will continue.

oh those campaigns. so tiring now. and I remember the build up for at least one other game- once people played it the sentiment magically evaporated. I suppose slogging through the rumors may persist though

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. TenshouYoku Apprentice Engineer

Welp, blame me for living in places where the world gets really complicated.

30. Cetric Junior Engineer

I don't like 'conspiracy theories' at all and I have seen a lot in the political field. I expressed myself carefully here. It is a possibility. Rather cheap public relation, so why should a studio who expects to profit from a damage to KEEN abstain from it?
    Also understand your reaction in such way you don't have proof they do not use such efforts. Cheap as they come. Effective as they come, manipulating fools and kids who are easy on condemning things and following a crowd.
    --
    We have to face sometimes the world is rough and it's played with dirty tricks. By the way, claiming this is all 'conspiracy theories' plays into the hands of those who may use dirty tricks.
    --
    And before you start your return question: no, I don't have proof either. I am suspecting, and some user before me stated he sensed a campaign as well. In the gaming industry reputation, mouth-to-mouth propaganda and influencing over media like youtube (too popular for being ignored, you may know that) are very sharp weapons and they don't cost much. So isn't it naive to say such an effective weapon isn't used? Mankind has a taste for cheap + effective weapons, was always like this. What humanitarian reasons should let them decide not to do it? Kindness?
    --
    We just had the discoverage of another scandal here. Volkswagen had spied out a supplier company by detectives and all that, the whole program of covered black ops. You would call that of course "Yish. Conspiracy theorists. The world really isn't that complicated."
    And because it isn't complicated, such things are happening.
    --- Automerge ---
    Ringing no bells? Oh no, never, it has to be a 'conspiracy theory'.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.