Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

SE - Abandoned/Finished

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragonspride, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Should Keen Release SE as open source if they abandon it?

1. I agree

49 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. I dissagree

34 vote(s)
    37.4%
  3. I don't know

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sich Trainee Engineer

The "wolf bug" is really annoying when you play only survival...
    The KSH anwser is annoying as well with "just disable them, it's not a priority"...

2. Malware Master Engineer

@Sich Annoying, maybe, but perfectly understandable. The wolf bug is just an annoyance, nothing more. There are far more pressing issues and there's no point in fixing that if they're gonna make a more proper AI for them anyway... which I really hope they will because the current one is ridiculous. Well, and I also want them to remove the ridiculous wolf-on-an-alien-planet and replace it with an alien analog. I always switch the wolves off because I find their entire concept so silly. Looks aside, this is clearly an alien planet with little to no previous human interaction. What the sodding heck are the oh-so-Earth creatures doing there? Nobody has ever been able to come up with a logical explanation that I can accept and I don't expect anyone will.

What I meant, though, is whether or not survival will actually get an improvement remains to be seen. I still believe it will, but I reserve my judgement. For me that major update is the make-or-break point with Keen. Although I'm likely to be much less demanding than many. I don't expect a complete game-changer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sich Trainee Engineer

Yes, I understand you, it's just that we can see, again, that survival is not very important for KSH.
    At least that's the message that I understand.

Survival don't need a lot of work to start to be a game.
    Most of the thing are already in the game and can be made by mods.
    But they need to bring more stuff in vanilla, and add few thing for the modders (like T° management, radiation, need for airtigh area).
    But those thing can be done once the game is optimised.

I have the hope to see that they will give some love on survival once the multiplayer and the core game are optimised and fixed.

4. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I too think that survival actually doesnt need that much fiddling to become amazing. Keen just has to take advantage of what is already possible.

Better sabiroids and wolves would be icing on the cake after everything that can be done with grids.

I think they will flesh it out after getting most of the game to work properly. At least it seems go be the central message Marek is pushing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Malware Master Engineer

Yep. If there's gonna be a survival major - and I'm quite confident there will be - it will be one of (if not the) last majors.

Gameplay once the game works well enough to support said gameplay. Makes sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. halipatsui Senior Engineer

When you would guess full release to happen?

7. Malware Master Engineer

@halipatsui When the game is finished? :p

That's almost impossible to predict when you're in the know. Definitely impossible to predict when you're not.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Quite possible so.
    I was just thinking your guess might be somewhat realistic :D

Mainly im thinking if they will try to wrap it up this year or will it be 2.
    Or more?

9. Sich Trainee Engineer

I don't have any hope before the end of this year at least...
    We actually don't know when the next update will happen...

Then try to guess the "final release" seem complicated :)

10. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Mals good but he's not that good :D:p

11. Sarekh Senior Engineer

and me was sitting there, thinking: "Firefly? What? Mal? how? WhatdidImiss??" since you posted that

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

No words on any update from keen?

Been awhile since a sew a live twitch from Xocliw or anything related to this game...

Its not reassuring really...

13. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

They're busy doing what they said they were going to do. As soon as they said they were going to get their head down and get in it I knew it was going to be a while. Don't let the tinfoil hat wearing lot loan you a tinfoil hat :tu:

As soon as people in the back seat stop asking if we're there yet you tend to get there alot quicker and less hassled.

14. Wicorel Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Arcturus Senior Engineer

The branch that was formerly titled "ladders" earlier in April (mentioned in this thread on page 3) is now "neverladderland".

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

We deserve survival no less than what happens with the environment at the end of Total Recall.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. druppi Apprentice Engineer

well the SE source code was already released way back ...
    The problem is Keen did not keep updating the public source code on github, with new game versions-releases.
    Witch they wanted to do in the first place, I really hope they will fix this problem ASAP.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Malware Master Engineer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BlackFish Trainee Engineer

IMHO, Planets should of never been implemented that early, it took up so much development time that should of went to fixing and adding better game mechanics.....and for that mistake, Keen has payed the price as it only compounded problems.
    SE is dead, Its time to face the facts. The game is close to unplayable now, the servers are all but empty. Players and communities have moved on or died out.

No one is as excited for updates as they used to be, the hype train has run out of steam, the ink is dry. Its time for everyone to move on. That Q&A stream they did was atrocious, everything they have said afterwards is just damage control.

5 years i waited for an actual engaging gameplay experience. Not once have i ever been satisfied. SE is not a game, its just a fancy tech demo for physics, nothing more. There is no real Engineering going on ANYWHERE in this. Slapping 6 thrusters, a cockpit, gyroscope, reactor and life support is not engineering. Yeah, I got my money's worth out of it, but I only kept playing on the promise of actual survival mechanics were coming, actual engineering stuff, Real PvE(not the bullshit spam of spiders and wolves)...but we get 2 big graphical updates instead(the directx12 update and the recent graphical update).

The keeping things as surprises/secret is just a massive Public relations damage control tactic, its so they dont have to promise anything and keep everyone's expectations low. But its a PR tactic that has failed for them countless times, again and again. Not telling what your working on is one the biggest mistakes, an EA game company can do. Which is why ECO, a newer EA game, is being so successful because they are TOTALLY transparent with there community, no secrets or anything. When a promised game feature isn't working they TELL US, and why its giving them a hard time. They don't sweep it under the rug like keen does.

When people ask about Space Engineers, whats the first thing that comes to mind? Me, its lets waste 12 hours of our lives to just watch our creation simply self destruct and collapse on itself because of f***ing clang. 3 years ago i recommended the shit out of this game. But since then, i warn every person who thinks about purchasing this game....and its been a couple hundred people now. (Im a community manager of a friends youtube channel of 300k subs).

I was banned years ago from this forum cause i called keen out for when they announced GoodAI. All Space Engineers and Medieval Engineers ever were meant for was to kick start that. Several years later, and the updates for SE are almost non existent. And ME was dead on arrival with less than 300 players concurrently playing it and And once they started losing money they pushed out the skin market update.

The lack of updates, transparency/secrecy, garbage updates, communication, atrocious simspeed/performance, lack of game play and the skin market update....All of these together were the final nails in the coffin....The steam reviews are no longer positive but mixed. The death blow has been dealt.

The sales of Space Engineers has stagnated, as seen on steam charts, the player base is the smallest its ever been. The skin update was the worst thing they could of done. Once the steam reviews went negative people stopped buying SE. No one ever streams it, the youtubers who used to whole heartily supported keen are now having second thoughts of supporting them. Keen has tarnished there name in the eyes of so many players. People are burned out. Even if they did release an amazing update that fixed everything i stated, I honestly am not sure id comeback nor start recommending it again. Refusing to update the roadmap is what annoyed me the most and promising players that a new multiplayer system was coming soon.....which was now what 2-3 years ago now?

Also the feature recommandation website they started, how many things actually have come out of it? 1, 2? And those things were the ones with little to no votes. While everything else thats highly voted for is ignored.

Want even more proof that SE is dead, at this very moment on KSH discord there is 2,291 people online....only 57 are playing SE, and LESS than 8 are playing ME.

Like the hundreds of other players who used to visit the forums, I wash my hands from this garbage.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Wicorel Senior Engineer

Can I have your stuff?

• Funny Funny x 3
  21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Buh-bye now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@BlackFish Interesting. Let's look at the analytics of a game by looking at the nearby community server and determine that if only 8 people out of 2291 is playing SE at the current time, the game is dead.
    http://steamcharts.com/app/244850#All
    Or we could look at actual statistics and then we could have your little opinion of players numbers be a bit ... redundant.
    Player numbers have been surprisingly stable if you notice. If you say the game is dead, it was dead back in 2015. You are right, there is fewer peaks, but that is probably because there is a lot of people waiting for the actual release at this point, since updates don't bring new features.

Let's look at a game that is proper dead shall we?
    http://steamcharts.com/app/310380#All
    Oh shit, it's not dead either. Yeah the player numbers are quite few, but it has been quite stable throughout its life.
    Fractured Space has only a fraction of Space Engineers player base, and it is still being actively supported by its devs. You are going to tell me that Space Engineers is dead just based on looking at a God damn community server?

You have some good points, but your conclusions are atrocious.

Also not promising something they can't deliver on is a bad marketing ploy? :woot: Fucking really? Keeping stuff secret is a pretty darn good idea, and if you haven't noticed MOST!!!! game developers do that, keeping features secret until they are confirmed to be part of the game.

You know how Keen introduced the Hydrogen Engines and Wind mills, and previewed them for the community. So yeah, great silence there Keen, showing off confirmed features.

Yeah... The sales have stagnated... ALL GAMES HAVE A STAGNATION OF SALES. Space Engineers has been sold for years, the majority of the players willing to buy it in Early Access has already done so.
    And yeah, player numbers will very very slowly dwindle in a game. Look at SE, there is no massive drop in player numbers, it has been insanely stable.

Also, they have released several new multiplayer codes since they promised that. Do you even do updates?

You don't like SE anymore, sure. You have some valid grievances that is okay to, but don't sit here and lie about analytics and don't sit here and tell me that the devs didn't do things they actually did.

It is very impolite and rude to lie.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  23. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

I will never understand why people are so toxic, well said Siox :tu:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  24. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@Hotshot Jimmy Don't really care about him being toxic, I care about him lying his teeth out. Also I don't get why I am getting Friendlies :woot: I was being massively condescending and an ass in that post.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Because of the cathartic qualities of your post and because of awesome reasoning?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Fair ^_^

• Like Like x 1
  27. PLPM Junior Engineer

Well, what can I say, everyone sticks to the metrics that benefit them the most.

28. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Um, well, they don't have to promise anything. That's what EA games are: no promises. Keen doesn't have to concoct some Bernie Madoff scheme to avoid making promises. If they cease production immediately without notice it's okay. They don't have to give anyone a reason. If they swear they are releasing the game next week and don't do it, it's ok.

Personally, If I want to stop supporting Keen and start supporting someone else I can make that decision myself, and the vast majority that read this are also more than capable. So thanks for the tip but I decide what I do with my time and money.

I don't care what you do with yours.

29. Malware Master Engineer

Weeelll... I wouldn't say it's okay but they certainly have the rights on their side :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  30. Petr Beranek Developer Staff

Wow... there is whole thread about SE abandonment... and nobody called me in to make fun of "doomsday...", I mean "abandonment prophets"... you have disappointed me, people :D
    At least I have something to read in free time :D

• Funny Funny x 4
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.