Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

SE MMO 2 Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by PiettroBeretta, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. PiettroBeretta Trainee Engineer

Hi,
    I would like to ask two quetions...

I think i should assume the KHS notised some calls for interserver travel or Mmo SE so im curious what do you think.. If you're fan or not

1) what may the mmo brings to the current game ..

And/or

2) what the game needs to make Mmo possible and enjoyable

THanks

2. Malware Master Engineer

Keep the MMO out of SE please. It's too late anyway. Besides, I have never believed they would ever be able to create stable servers for more than 20-30 players per server. The game is quite simply too complicated and demanding technically speaking. Not from lack of ability from Keen's side, simply by the game's nature.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. PiettroBeretta Trainee Engineer

I definitely agree theres maximum of players around 20-30 on a server but its part of question one.. does more players bring something new? I Just looking for another point of view and another imaginatiom

4. Malware Master Engineer

Fair enough :D I'm just protective about my already limited single player gameplay ;)

5. PiettroBeretta Trainee Engineer

Trust me i spent about 400 hours in singlplayer until my wife said: "i Will kill you or join you" so now im Just wondering about some home instance with option to Global market

6. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

I used to play on a Minecraft RP server about 6 years ago. It was a private server not managed by the Mojang company. It allowed for up to 300 players online at the same time. And well I saw it full quite a few times. Though in reality it usually had about 150-200 on at a time on average. For a single server.. that qualifies as a MMO. And I'm going to use that as the basis to answer your questions.

Quite simply, more players or profit for SE. I NEVER had an intention to play Minecraft. But the RP server looked like a great thing. I could RP in a game and literally shape the world and make my own strongholds and such. To this day, I've never played minecraft on single player or on what one could call normal servers. So with that said, a MMO-like server could draw in players that otherwise wouldn't be interested in playing SE.

Not much, actually. The minecraft server I used as a basis for this discussion didn't have too much in the way of mods. Simple stuff to give GMs tools needed to aid players, Admin tools for admins to whitelist or ban players. A chat interface to facilitate /say, /yell, and /whisper (as MC didn't natively have that).

So what would SE need?

Some enhancements to the chat interface, maybe even an API for mods to hook into to allow for custom /slash commands.
    Allow for a creative-like mode for some players and not others (this sort of already is in with server admin, but there needs to be more tiers).
    API for a sort of Medieval Engineers claim block type thing. Basically prevents a base from being grinded (but weapons still work) by players not on the list.
    Dedicated Servers need multicore CPU support. This will allow for more than half a dozen players at a time in different areas.
    Server optimizations to go along with multicore support. As it stands now.. we could probably see a max of about 20-30 with smooth play with multicore support. To push 50-100 or higher, we need alot more. Some say its impossible. I don't believe that to be the case.*

*The reason for this is Planetside 2 is a MMOFPS that has VERY complex physics and a dynamic world with base building attached to it. I'd argue that game is far more intensive than SE is when it comes to player interactions. It holds the Guinness World Record for most number of players in a FPS fight (1100), beating Planetside 1's record of 900. Its forgelight engine is also used in H1ZI and Landmark. Landmark is a voxel based building/exploration game where a player can interact with the world itself by digging and such. Landmark is very much like a 3d Terraria.

It wouldn't take very much to turn SE into a MMO. But I'd argue that it would have to be a server that pulls it off as a MMO-like, not KSH setting up a MMO interface.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigsteve Trainee Engineer

A SE MMO will never happen, the game mechanics are TOO hardware intensive for a high player on server basis.
    removing the physics will help but then it wont be space engineers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mattk50 Trainee Engineer

It truly does, the MMO setting is rarely done well but in theory if it was technically possible for SE to be an MMO and we overlooked pitfalls like physics bugs, impossible performance hurdles and the like, you'd get a big community inhabiting large regions of space and a scene where players and groups gained fame/infamy for actions on a huge scale. You only get great player politics from a sandbox mmo, themepark mmos usually just have petty drama since there's no loss and smaller dedicated server games never have enough players for significant politics and economy to form. Think EVE type stuff.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Your game and physics processing happens on basically one core. You'd have to be able to spread the job out to multiple cores over a very large multicore set-up (like dual 20 core CPUs) That's a huge investment in server hardware and a staggering amount of dev time. They would have to basically rebuild the game from the ground up... if it is even possible.

Currently the best servers aren't even servers. They are Windows machines running enthusiast CPUs that are overclocked to 4.2+gHz with only four physical cores. So the game really isn't optimized to run on a true server.

10. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

This is not true. Only the DS software needs an entire revamp. Which is slated to happen anyway. If the game itself can run on multicores, and it does. Then the DS can be altered to do the same.

Just so there's no confusion, we're talking about this:

[​IMG]

There's no GUI or shaders or other graphical stuff that needs to be considered. Just CPU cycles and networking.

11. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

Like said if Se wants to go wider, it needs to be buffed in the ways the engine works, so multithreading is a must.

But also a Trading systeme like the Blue Mining Co trade mod does; have a currency, been able to sell/buy ressources and ships.

A overhauled Faction functionality, the way Factions works right now is just too simple and not very imaginative, its either neutral or Foe, there is no subtilities and the Faction rankings are too scarce.

More on the side of NPC's, be it simply drones or IA ships or real IA NPC's, using their GoodIA tech.

Would be nice to have "events" or "raids", to entice people of banding togheter to do it, outside of the PVP aspect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Malware Master Engineer

GoodAI is not game AI, is not ready to be used as such and won't be for years yet, if it ever will given that it's not its purpose. It is also way overkill for game AI and won't give as enjoyable experience as old-fashioned game AI algorithms.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.