Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Server CPU in 2020?

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by at0micgarden, Apr 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. at0micgarden Trainee Engineer

Hello! I am new to the game and I'd like to get a dedicated server up for me and a handful of others (5-8 players).

I have read that the physics code was re-written to take advantage of multi-threading somewhat recently. Is this multi-threading on the client-side only or for the dedicated server as well?

I have read all of the Dedicated Server posts and resources but can't figure out what is more important for the current game code - single-core CPU speed or # of threads?

Thanks!

2. Roxette Senior Engineer

Speed is more important, I'm pretty sure the server will only use 3 cores at most - probably a design choice as it makes more sense for server hosting operations where multiple virtual servers are run on the same system.

3. VenomXII Trainee Engineer

Not flexing, just adding. I'm currently running a Windows 2019 VM/w 10 vcpus, 12gb ram (dynamic to 16gb) on a 2016 Hyper V. Dell poweredge 410/w 64gb ram running 2x E5620 @2.40ghz.
    4 players connected, PCU limit set to 300000 (global), Current PCU usage @ 210000+.
    Mods installed:
    Explore mod,
    nanobotBuildandrepair,
    texthud,
    hud compass
    moisture vaporator
    Battle cannons
    PAM

We're building a giant space station, the Sim speed hovers around .6, Sync distance is set to 5000.
    We get some rubberbanding. but i think some of that is attributed to typical internet nonsense. it will stream when trying to copy and paste something in thats large.
    The VM can hit up to %70 cpu usage which attributes to about %40 on the Host. i'm thinking of throwing more VCPU's at it.
    Thoughts?

Last edited: May 1, 2020
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.