1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Server limits suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by kuro11, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. kuro11

kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

On your performance section you mention the different type of blocks have various performance hits to servers.

I'm sure you have something like this in place, but a simple "point" heuristic for different types of parts (dynamic/static/size/script resources would change the point value of a single unit piece) could be used to cap the total complexity that a single player can create against on larger servers.

The "point" buy is easy to list, e.g. "My cool server (12K)" and allows server owners to keep spam from destroying playability.

I suspect you have something like this out there, but I figured I'd hand in my 2 cents.

2. marek_rosa

marek_rosa Developer Staff

We were considering the idea of introducing "Hardware Requirements" in world/server settings (Low/Normal/High) - so people who don't have high-performance machines will know which server to avoid. Although, I don't know if and when we will actually implement this.

3. kuro11

The only issue I see with this is that even on a "low" server if every player can create an unlimited number of entities then it would quickly become unplayable.

Though if it's not on your roadmap right now then I suppose there's not much use in debating implementation.

Just be warned: coming from other games that allow player created content (that has the ability to create lag) the first thing that happens in multiplayer is someone comes in and creates ten million lights just be a jerk. So giving server admins some way to control how much players create is going to be essential for the long-term multiplayer community.

4. Scorpion00021

Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

I understand some of your memory problems, but others confuse me a bit. The fact that "blocks with function" would create more client side lag that armor blocks makes me wonder how much work is being done client-side rather than server side. An idea would be to change the way the client treats blocks beyond a certain distance. Ray Tracing can be costly, but it adds some load to the CPU/GPU and can determine objects that wouldnt be loaded. Forgive me, I'm not trying to tell anyone that it should be done "differently" by any means. It looks like an amazing game and I can tell a LOT of hard work has been put into it, I am just trying to fully comprehend the nature of the beast :)

5. kuro11

The blocks with function would create server lag, rather than client in all likely-hood.
    And culling is something core to the engine; Miner Wars ran well on my computer and had fairly complex scenes so they probably have plenty of such groundwork finished with their last game.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.