Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Shaostoul Corporation: Engineering Division & Learning Center

Discussion in 'Released and WIP Mods' started by Shaostoul, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

It's up to you. There is still DX9 support, to an extent, in that there is a fixed branch that supports DX9 now, since the change.

To my understanding, the amount of people that were only about to play DX9 and not DX11, was only in the double digits (some where around 20 iirc).

It does mean that you cut out the extra ME/DE/NS textures, which means a smaller mod, but it does mean that the people who are stuck with DX9, can't use your mod.

It's a personal choice to continue DX9 support in your mods. It's extra work, but it's not a whole lot of extra work.

2. Messenjah Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the response. I may add DX9 support but start with DX11 while I'm still getting my feet wet. If people like what I'm building and there is a call for it, I'll add DX9. Another quick question, I just watched your Block Mirroring Tutorial, and I feel a bit unclear on what exactly it is for? Is this for mirroring in creative? Or is it for when you are attaching your block to something, and rotating it to the correct angle? If so, how many total mirrors do you need? I only see the three in your video. Most blocks can be turned to more than those angles, such as laying on it's side.

I'm very new to Space Engineers modding as you can tell. Mind you, that doesn't mean I don't have a decent amount of experience with modding in general. Just my first outing with SE. :)

3. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

It's for mirroring in creative. You only need 3+main model, because they're just mirrored to the other spots, essentially. You're just establishing the rules for the mirroring, so the game can figure the rest out.

4. Greyson_XMG Apprentice Engineer

There is a mod called 'compound armor slabs', by Ced23Ric.

Basically oversize blocks. I find them invaluable for building large ships because it can take a ship with a 50k block count and pull it down to well under 10k. I find it useful in keeping lag to a minimum. It has some glitches with holding air, but I suspect that Ced23Ric simply rushed its creation.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=585416349

Ced23Ric seems to have abandoned the mod, with the air problem unsolved. Any chance you could pick this up, and fix it up?

It would be a smashing addition to your collection.

5. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

That's a possibility, I'll see what I can do, but my list is a bit full at the moment, so it'll have to wait, if that's alright.

6. Greyson_XMG Apprentice Engineer

I know full well that you have been busy. The existing mod of oversize blocks is not threatened with removal, BUT the air glitch is annoying.

The upside is: When you get to it, it should be easy. There is nothing to it except blocks.

Do try to make it an easy replacement mod. Remove old mod, insert yours, 'cause I have ships that depend heavily on them, and I don't want them to vanish! :)

7. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

Do they deform?

8. Greyson_XMG Apprentice Engineer

Actually they do! Dude did a brilliant job... He just didn't quite finish it.

Please check out the mod! Load it up.. Build some targets with it, and chuck some missiles at it.

Most worthy of your attention.

9. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

Alright, well I'll keep it in mind as a thing to do.

10. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

Episode 19 out now to help explain missile turret modding:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

Episode 20 out, explaining gatling turrets this time:

• Like Like x 1
  12. @Shaostoul will you do make a tutorial to explain how to make subparts systems ?

13. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

What do you mean, make subparts system? Like create your own type of turret?

14. Yes for exemple or allow to make animated models of other thing ( here there is an exemple for my shield generator ).
    It's just to know because I will make it but I don't have a good English so I will make it in French.

15. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

I'll have a tutorial eventually for this anima script: forum.keenswh.com/threads/anima-script-parts-animation-script-for-modders-only.7377906/
    It allows for some block animation (Like the radar that Draygo and I worked on and is on the workshop)

The capability of animating things in Space Engineers is severely limited as of this time.

16. Indeed I don't use Anima because there is more easy. I use only 3 lines for my animations without more. So I think there is a lot of possibilities to animate models like that ( an other project with a friend ) :
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

What do you use to animate your blocks that is easier?

18. Indeed it's with a model separate in subparts and a relative movement after in a script. It's not very hard. There something like that in each block like laser antenna or turrets.

19. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

Hmmm, would you mind sharing an example that I could look at, so I can compare it to the Anima script and learn it?

20. I will make a video in French and a tutorial in French and English.
    I don't know if it's more efficient than Anima but I found it more easy to make.

21. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

Okay, sounds good.

22. Sabre363 Trainee Engineer

I'm trying to mod an ore detector. I got up to exporting the stuff. When I try to export, Blender says "MwmBuilder failed without an appropriate exit code". What does that mean and how do I fix it? I'm using Harag's plugin for Blender and following Shao's tutorials. Also, there doesn't appear to any "MwmBuilder" folder, but I can find the "mwmbuilder.exe.

23. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

24. Sabre363 Trainee Engineer

That did it, thank you. I guess clueless me forgot install it the first time.

25. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

Actually, it's been a Keen problem for quite some time. They'll have a working MWMbuilder and then not. I think the latest version of the MWMbuilder may be bugged, but I don't keep up to date on it. I just use the old one since it works.

26. HumanFate Trainee Engineer

My Models do not show Textures at all but the blender plugin dont give me an error on export neither does the game. Any idea why or where i did it wrong?

27. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

It's possible you don't have the textures in the right location. If you look in one of your XML's you might see something like:
    <Parameter Name="ColorMetalTexture">Textures\Models\SC_BaseBlack_cm.dds</Parameter>
    Which means the texture should be in:
    C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Mods\YOURMOD\Textures\Models\SC_BaseBlack_cm.dds
    If it's not in that spot, then it won't render in game.

28. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

Hey everyone,
    As of August 2nd I'll be flying down to Florida to take care of my cousin who is having brain surgery for a tumor that's severely affecting him. I will most likely not be able to work on anything after the 2nd. I tried to work on my mods to get an update out for those who requested it but, I've just haven't had the time. This month has been crazy hectic and August is shaping up to be the same way. I'm not able to ship my desktop to FL but, I will have an ancient laptop to use, so I can hopefully still provide support for those that need it. Thank you for your understanding.

29. Krougal Senior Engineer

Good luck, may your cousin have a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!

• Like Like x 1
  30. CptTwinkie Moderator

Best of luck to your cousin. I hope his surgery goes well.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.