Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Shape Wright Building Challenge

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Bacon004, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bacon004 Trainee Engineer

A while back on the forums someone shared this link: http://ship.shapewright.com/

This is a browser program that will randomly generate a 3D model of a spaceship. You will quickly notice that sometimes the spaceships look really cool and other times they are wacky and just plain weird.

The challenge is simple: Put your forum username into the "Your name here" text field at the top, and wait for it to generate a ship using your username as a seed. Now, build that ship in Space Engineers! It is up to you to decide the specifics, like which direction is forward, whether to use a small or large grid, whether to make it for space or atmospheric flight, what ship role it will fulfill, and so on. Try to make it look as close to the generated ship as possible! You must use your forums username; no take-backs no matter how cool or weird the generated ship is. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Post your ships below with screenshots of the Shape Wright ship and you Space Engineers rendition. Remember, it's not a contest.

EDIT: I just noticed that capitals do matter, so make sure the seed is capitalized according to whether or not your username is.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You can download the model for free as a .wrl file. Then you can import the .wrl into Blender (also free) and export it as an .obj file.

SEToolbox can then import the .obj file and render a ship in Space Engineers.

This would be a good starting point for those who don't want to waste a lot of time on the rough design.

3. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

oh my god the thing it generated for me is horrifying.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Bacon004 Trainee Engineer

Out of all of the ships I have seen on Shape Wright, yours is one of the better ones. For example, try the seed "42" and then we'll talk.

5. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

6. Aracus Senior Engineer

I think both the 42 and the Tankmayvin one has potential... The Aracus one was outright cool, looks like a compact little gunship

7. Bacon004 Trainee Engineer

"Tankmayvin" and "tankmayvin" produce two completely different ships, so make sure you capitalize correctly. In this case I'd say it's the second one because tankmayvin's forum name isn't capitalized.

8. Aracus Senior Engineer

"tankmayvin" reminded me of FF7 Jade Weapon :woot: kind of cool, and "rankmayvin" a typo :p reminds me of a StarCraft SCV

9. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

the "Trololo" looks kinda nice

10. plaYer2k Master Engineer

11. Bacon004 Trainee Engineer

There are occasionally asymmetrical ships, but they aren't very common. Even then, it's usually just a piece or two that are put on one side and not the other.

12. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Whoa! The one for "iN5URG3NT" looks pretty awesome! Capital letters matter BTW.

Not sure i can do some of the angles, but I think I can do the general shape. It is on. Give me a week or two. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Bacon's and insurgent's look the coolest so far.
    AutoMcD and AutoMcDonough both kinda bleh.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  14. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

15. newtonsolo313 Apprentice Engineer

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  16. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

17. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

18. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

Wow, yours actually looks very doable! (and cool)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. StormField Apprentice Engineer

I love these.

Good builds I would happily export and recreate:

murder is my life

i shall end you where you stand <- A really good one!

its you who cant take life <- Seriously, another great build.

the problem in this world is your bloodline <- Ok, I am going to export and recreate this, this looks like an excellent gunship/corvette

20. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

This thread needs more screenshots!
    Not just because I'm lazy, that site hates tablets. The ships come out like a postage stamp. :|

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Clunas Junior Engineer

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.