Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Ship falls toward planet outside of gravity well

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Jon Turpin, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Jon Turpin Apprentice Engineer

So, I FINALLY made my first trip to space last night in search of some platinum ore. As I understand it the earth planet's gravity well extends to 30km above the surface. So I found an asteroid sitting at approximately 35km out, turned off all thrusters (only have hydro at this point and was running out of ice) and was able to sit motionless with no issues..

.. UNTIL I got out of the cockpit. I flew the short distance to the surface of the asteroid, and noticed in my periphery that my ship was drifting. So I turned and ran after it, hopped into the cockpit again and turned on thrusters. It stopped briefly, but then I ran out of hydrogen, and it began to descend again.

So is this a bug? Or does the atmosphere extend beyond 35km? I looked up the info and noted that there should be no gravitational pull after the gravity reaches 0.05g, but I forget what the reading was - will verify later when I'm able.

I should also note that the large asteroid (and the smaller ones nearby) were unaffected by the gravitational pull. Just my ship.

On a side note. I also noticed that when placing new atmo thrusters, their blades disconnect and float several block-lengths away as I fly, but reloading the world fixes the issue.

Sorry for the long read.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Asteroids are not affected by planets. Also 35km is not a hard and fast rule as it depends on the size of the planet iirc. But it goes from 0 to 0.05 and then begins to increase. Also if your ship is big enough a small portion my have still been in the gravity meaning the ship would begin to be pulled in. Or it was just by chance it had already ran out of useable fuel and was drifting towards the planet by chance. Basically find out if you;
    A. Have fuel
    B. Any inertia (ship size dependent)
    C. Are in fact still in 0.05g
    D. Exhausted all ideas and reasons so it is a bug, record some date and report it

3. Jon Turpin Apprentice Engineer

I had thought (And read) that 30km was the largest gravity well for the 120km planets (easy start earth). But I will find out more tonight. As for whether I was moving or not, I had everything turned off and was motionless for several seconds before I exited the cockpit. It wasn't until I left the cockpit that it decided to start falling, which is what led me to think it was a bug. But perhaps I just need more hydrogen for the next attempt. I'll follow up after verifying data. Thanks for the reply.

Also, somewhat verifying that I should have been in 0g- after I exited the cockpit, I was unable to move until I switched on the jetpack. I would think that I, too, would start falling if inside the gravity well, no?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  4. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

Whenever I leave the earth-like planet, I'm just barely escaping the gravity well at about 39 - 40 km above the surface.

The atmosphere itself only extends like 9 km above the surface, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. I know that atmospheric thrusters are basically non-functional until around 7 km or less. (I don't even bother turning them on until I first see the thrust override go from "ON" to a number)

As for the ship sitting motionless with no issues... at 0.05 gs the thrusters compensation against gravity will be negligible and impossible to visibly verify. You will also run through a small amount of hydrogen regardless of whether the ship is in motion or not (Pilot light).

Also, if you were were in the gravity well in your suit... yes, you should have started falling towards the planet very slowly. However it's possible as the other poster said that your ship was partially in the gravity well and you got out of the ship outside of the gravity well. It may very well be a bug but not one that I've encountered before. If I were you I would take the advise and attempt to recreate the incident as closely as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  5. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

No gravity pull is at "ZERO" gravity -> "0.00" ....
    Border on vanilla 120km Planets is ~40km above surface

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jon Turpin Apprentice Engineer

Yep, figured it out last night. 39-40km seems to be the spot, indeed. Play and learn :) Thanks for the replies!

7. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

If you are in a gravity field you can see it on the round horizon indicator gauge thing in the middle display. If you are in zero gravity there is no gray horizon indicator. The easiest way to know is that in zero G you'll see bright blurs of space dust zipping past you when you are moving.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Forjo Apprentice Engineer

The earth like planet's gravitation field extends to about 43,200m at sea level. You may see smaller number if you launch over a mountain. Also, the gravity indicator on your hud shows gravitation forces AT YOUR POSITION. If your ship is larger that you are (most are :)) you may very well find yourself in 0G while a portion of your ship is still affected by gravity. Best recommendation is to pay attention to when your HUD says 0G, then fly at least another 100m before stopping. THEN, turn off your dampeners and make sure your ship doesn't drift. If it doesn't, set your Gravity-Edge GPS coordinate. Otherwise, fly a little higher and repeat.

-Forjo

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.