Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Ship spinning with autopilot in v1.101 (still in v1.103)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by direwolf20, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. direwolf20 Trainee Engineer

I've made a video of the bug report, but in short, I have a ship set to autodock with a connector. The ship backs up to the connector, autopilot turns off, and the ship starts spinning uncontrollably. I should also note that I've worked around this as when the connector is 'on' the ship 'sticks' to the connector and then it engages via timer. However, I occaisionally find that the ship has lost connection to the station, and its just sitting there spinning, usually after having been connected for about 5-10 minutes.

UPDATE:
    This bug is still happening in v1.103 -- further testing shows that it occurs when the autopilot stops. I can confirm this by having 3 waypoints -- X, Y, Z -- if at any of those steps i add an 'autopilot Off' to the functions that run upon reaching that waypoint, it starts spinning uncontrollably.

Furthermore, pausing the game and unpausing it seems to stop the spinning immediately, which is extremely weird.

Updated bug report:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. TheStechi Trainee Engineer

3. direwolf20 Trainee Engineer

That seems like a reasonable explanation, and might explain some other stuff that i've seen autopilot doing in this latest patch :)

4. lyle sonders Apprentice Engineer

I am having other issues with connectors doing the same thing to my large ships. when I have small grid ships in close proximity of a connector that is not locked on, they cause my large ship to roll.

5. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

This may be the cause for the problem I had with the Argentavis pirate carrier after I ground down its remote control. The ship started to spin slowly at first and then got more erratic as time went on. Phand if you read this, this sounds like a plausible reason for the problem I was encountering with the Argentavis in my other post.

6. Sealgkor Trainee Engineer

Same here as direwolf20, ship starts spinning as shown in the video, here are some other funfacts about that issue
    • happens only in "oneway" mode, "circle" or "patrol" seems to work (maybe because the ship gets a new target)
    • does not happen when you are sitting inside a cockpit of that ship, but that would make the concept of a drone obsolete...
    • rotating direction seems random, sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right, sometimes upside down
    • when in Singleplayer game and offline mode (so noone can join), PAUSE and UNPAUSE the game also stops the ship from rotating
    • flight direction (upwards, sidewards, backwards, etc) does not have any effect
    • precision mode does not have effect
    • obstacles will not slow down rotation speed, it seems to be a constant command to rotate in one direction
    My actual workaround for docking purpose:
    1. set waypoints until connector, so that the ship can dock properly
    2. also set a waypoint about 10m away from connector (like an "undock position")
    3. set mode to "circle"
    4. last waypoint (WP) triggers autopilot off, locks the connector (rotation not possible) and starts a Timer
    5. Timer (maybe after 5sec) will turn autopilot on again, unlock to connector and set flight direction to "backwards" (in case approach was forward)
    6. ship continues normal and undocks to "undock position"
    But I hope there will be a fix soon...

7. mos Apprentice Engineer

Exactly this is happening to my drones as well. I even think the autopilot can't reach the last waypoint and tries to rotate the ship like crazy to do so. I can't fully confirm it since i'm handling waypoints via ingame scripts which doesn't support actions yet.

Do your ships really reach the last waypoint and trigger the action for it? If so, my initial assumption was incorrect.

8. direwolf20 Trainee Engineer

Just wanted to bump this, as it is still happening in v1.102

9. VenomBG Trainee Engineer

10. Pontiac Apprentice Engineer

Dire, what if you were to set the last step to specifically turn AP off at the last step and don't use one way?

11. direwolf20 Trainee Engineer

I've kind of tried that, and it sort of works :D.

12. Pontiac Apprentice Engineer

Sort of?

You know, you should make outtake videos, maybe a monthly thing, from all your videos. :]

13. darth_crunchus Apprentice Engineer

With the Benny Hill theme, Yakety Sax :p

Also, I can confirm this bug. I tried to set up an automated docking procedure using a second remote control and three timer blocks on my small grid cargo transport. It would get to one waypoint, start wobbling, spinning slowly and just continue doing that, not really achieving its destination, so, the timer blocks wouldn't fire... I thought maybe I had left Collision Avoidance on, but I hadn't.

14. Kazzamkablam Trainee Engineer

I noticed autopilot has massive problems if remote control block is even slightly off the center axis of ship, causing ship to spin around on a waypoint and trying to align itself to waypoint, but since it's spinning around axis instead of remote control, every time it tries to align it just fails as the remote control block has already moved when ship spinned around and it keeps repeating this behaviour infinitely.

This issue could likely be fixed by allowing adjusting autopilot offset values (for x,y,z) or making option for autopilot to use center of actual ship as center point.

15. K-Sys Trainee Engineer

I setup a mining ship to automatically dock, just like in Dires video.
    But if precision mode is on it starts spinning on the second last point. When i turn precision mode off it works fine there and happens at the last point.
    I noticed it never reached the point where it starts to spin. It stops right before it like it tries to reach the point but can't.

16. direwolf20 Trainee Engineer

Just a quick bump to note that this bug still exists in v1.103

17. Morphik Apprentice Engineer

Have you tried making sure the Gyro is in the center of your ship like the control block. I don't get this with my welder docking.

18. direwolf20 Trainee Engineer

UPDATE:
    This bug is still happening in v1.103 -- further testing shows that it occurs when the autopilot stops. I can confirm this by having 3 waypoints -- X, Y, Z -- if at any of those steps i add an 'autopilot Off' to the functions that run upon reaching that waypoint, it starts spinning uncontrollably.

Furthermore, pausing the game and unpausing it seems to stop the spinning immediately, which is extremely weird.

19. Taishi Trainee Engineer

I wasted like 2h looking for a fix for this, sadly no luck
    but what i did find out:
    the problem is how autopilot uses the gyros even before the last waypoint
    it spins till the waypoint is in front then it fires up thrusters to max - and it does not stop the rotation - in non precise mode its fine it will miss the waypoint by 1-2m
    the problem starts when it is still rotating and misses the waypoint by around 45 degrees - then it will spin in reverse till the waypoint is back in front.
    so for now autopilot moves like a snake =)

why does autopilot spin out of control in the end?
    if you got 2 waypoints far away - when thrusters are turned on gyros seam to stop turning for the time of the flight, but it will be right back to turning when it stops

i think the avoid collision MAY broke this... (as in the way autopilot uses gyros)

20. direwolf20 Trainee Engineer

Added a new video to the Original post, showing more details and strangeness. The biggest indicator, to me, is the fact that pause / unpause the game and it stops spinning -- thats craaaaazyyyy :)

21. Pontiac Apprentice Engineer

It seems to have gotten marginally worse in 104 since 102. I'm using the stock repair ship from "Easy World" and having a hard time getting my brain around getting the connector on the top all lined up, so got AP to do most of the work. Up until 104, the ship would get near the position and stop. Now, no matter how little thrust I give it, it still seems to overshoot and not align properly, turn around, re-align, go forward at about 2m/s, miss, realign, etc, etc.

I'm NOT getting the same effect as DW here, but there is a certain issue with the accuracy of the stop points.

22. Wargate Trainee Engineer

Still happening in 1.105 - also reiterating many comments that if the RC isn't at the centre of mass - the ship can't even arrive at a single waypoint in precision mode and endless spins around and overshoots the waypoint.

23. Thiana Trainee Engineer

It's been a month now and we still don't have a fix for this bug or even an acknowledgement from KSH that it will be fixed at some point? :(

24. Pontiac Apprentice Engineer

Well, to be fair, when I had put up the request to have the connector strength adjusted, Keen didn't make any mention of it there. Took several versions between it got insane to 105, but it made it in finally. I think that once the planet code settles out, this might get some attention.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Wargate Trainee Engineer

This is still happening in 1.106

26. jlp1528 Apprentice Engineer

Confirmed; still a thing in v01.106.011.

27. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

Seems to only happen when the autopilot is set to "One Way" mode.
    Works normally in "Patrol" mode.

28. Zarkov Trainee Engineer

I'm seeing this issue in 1.107.008. I switched off precision mode and thought I could just fly the last few meters manually, but the ship started spinning even when not using precision mode. Auto pilot did not turn off either, so I had to keep trying for a while to enter the cockpit, then it immediately slowed down and stopped spinning.

Looks like Dr. Mann opened the inner hatch or something.

29. Pontiac Apprentice Engineer

Dires uploaded video today (The one with the landing pads) still demonstrates that even in Patrol mode the ship still goes into rotations (In only one direction I noticed). Regardless of what precision mode is set to, the ship goes stupid, and AP is useless until its fixed. I don't even use it to get a line up anymore because I can't predict how it'll work,

30. Thiana Trainee Engineer

Hopefully KSH will at least give us a response now. It cant be good PR for them to have 30k people seeing a bug still present that Dire mentioned in an episode more than a month ago.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.