Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Should Keen start a Modder Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'General' started by mojomann71, Nov 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

It would be nice to see Keen set up a Modder Hall of Fame for the Modders, who with their mods have made a huge impact on the game.

I have two nominees right off the bat:
    Digi
    Darth Biomech

What do you guys think? :)

2. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

I'd suggest to add:
    @Malware for contributing much to the core code
    @Whiplash141 for game-changing scripts like missle guidance and rotor thrusters
    @MMasterSK for his omnipresent LCD Script

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

4. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

KSH themselves? No.

But the players could easily start a steam group to facilitate this.

5. DDP-158 Master Engineer

The vanilla purist will insist that only devs should be in the hall of fame :baby:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Only if the hall of fame is a vanilla feature [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

8. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Personally....I think the 'Hall of Fame' should lie in the game credits, with the accolade being granted when a mod gets included in the vanilla game. The definition of a 'major impact to the game' is always going to be contentious, as lot of mods people call essential I do not use. Then it will become something vanilla players can also enjoy. Otherwise, it's purely subjective. My definition of a major impact would be something I couldn't do myself, like the aerodynamics mods, or RDav's fleet script... but just about every other mod I use is either something I make myself, or something 'content' wise like planets.

In the ase of both those mods...I think the game needs them. Fleet handing allowed for the illusion of 'busy-ness' and where you could attack with a fleet even in single player. The aero dynamics mods ( with or without re-entry damage ) made for more variety of travel on planets and allowed for some different designs and gameplay mechanics. It's a subtle change ( subtle...but I am sure it was not simple ) with a significant improvement to gameplay.

At the other end of the spectrum, I used to love playing with MexPex weaponry, though in single player, it completely removes any threat whatsoever from pirates or NPC ships, and hunting cargo vessels was so easy it stopped being fun. You could tear them up with a single turret from beyond the range where they even started to fire back. In multiplayer, PvP, it's different as both sides would have them. Different effect from the same mod depending on style of gamplay.

A mod that makes PvP fun absolutey ruins singleplayer. So how would you judge the mod?

I don't think a hall of fame is a bad idea....but I do think it needs to have a lot of consideration, and that there should perhaps also be a seperation between online and offline as offline it's very easy for a mod to utterly unbalance gameplay and remove challenges that for some are actually the vital elements of gameplay.

9. rexxar Senior Engineer

Do I not qualify? How rude.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

That should be treated with caution, I have seen many a drama come from such a competition from avid fans. What might work better is maybe once a month or so Keen has the community nominate mods to be added to the vanilla game such as the upcoming corner lights. That way the great mods get the recognition they deserve and their authors but the drama should be reduced.

11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I had an idea for a "Golden Rotor Award" for the most notable of modders and possibly the most creative ship builders a few months ago. There are a few individuals that have really contributed to this game on their own time and for everyone's enjoyment.

@midspace DEFINITELY belongs on the list... for his love of Real Dolls and for all that free time he's saved by doing so to keep SEToolbox alive and well. We nearly lost him at one point.

Yes @rexxar , you are a notable as well for SE Server Extender. But SESE is only used by a relative handful of people and is transparent to most people playing on a server. But you get a pat on the head as well... good 'nuff?

My favorite script coder would be @Whiplash141 because his scripts are always so useful and diverse. He's definitely not a one trick pony. Just feed him a sugar cube once in a while and after he's done tripping balls, he'll even take suggestions under consideration.

• Like Like x 1
  12. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Honourable mention for Sektan. I don't like all his mods, but he might be the hardest working modder out there.

SEBuilder4 is another great modder. I wish some aspects of his Small Ship Mega Mod Pack were vanilla.

The Golden Rotor Award seems a good choice :D

13. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

SEToolbox definitely is something that I have had save my bacon more than once cleaning up problem maps. It also helps setting up worlds, placing planets, and tweaking any number of things. It's a great thing....and an example of a mod tool that doesn't bring any 'downsides'. It doesn't affect balance and can be used by anyone.

And....I would like to nominate rexxar for the special 'REXXAR award' for the modder most likely to be rexxar.

He definitely qualifies as he has been made part of the vanilla team, and should have his name added to the credits :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. RayvenQ Moderator

I hereby award @rexxar the Fixit Medal of Honour

On a more serious note, something like this should be a community designated/run one in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  15. DDP-158 Master Engineer

On a serious note this time I also agree that if you want to do it as a community member have at it. No harm no foul in posting your favorite modder (mines Darth because he has always been good about balance). But I do agree that for the devs to do so could create drama no matter how silly it might seem to many of us. The fact of the matter is that people will bitch about anything; all they need is an excuse to get started.

16. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

It's probably the same legal mumbojumbo that disallows family members of company employees to take part in giveaways and competitions.

I don't like Breaking Bad. We must feud now.

If i had to nominate anyone i'd say it would probably be @midspace. SE Toolbox is a must have for any attempt to fix some oopsies, manipulate grids or try to save a file. Or simply to just LOOK at it and maybe find out what's wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

I also do not like Breaking Bad.

And I am not a school teacher

18. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Of course you qualify! :)

I just threw out a couple to get things rolling.

19. rexxar Senior Engineer

I agree with Rayven, this should be a community thing. That way we aren't accused of favoritism :p

20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Yes, but if Keen helps with the mechanics, that would be appreciated... such as setting up voting in the forums, an official nominee page, etc.

One of us would have to take on the managing of the event.
    1. Nomination for category types.
    2. Seconding, thirding, etc. of categories.
    3. Weeding out redundant or superfluous categories.
    4. Nominations of potential recipients
    5. Links, pastes, of best works.
    6. Voting (over a few days)
    7. Tallying
    8. Awarding
    If Keen could supply a "Golden Rotor" physical award that would be super awesome. It could literally be a 3D printed rotor with gold colored accent with the astronaut standing beside it making the thumbs-up gesture.

The winners could be revealed by @Xocliw on one of his streams if he chooses. Hey... it's content.

The "Golden Rotor" is just a suggestion, BTW.

21. midspace Senior Engineer

Phew, I was getting worried I had the most Mods posted on Steam, at 143.
    Turns out Sektan has more than me, at 216.
    There is my nomination @Sektan for most prolific modder. (And it helps that a lot of Sektan's are awesome. Quantity and quality.)

• Like Like x 1
  22. Radma Kanow Apprentice Engineer

I think the most praise that a modder can achieve is by changing his/her creation into game feature by Keen. We seen that already, we know them and we salute them in everlasting awe and envy o7.

Hall of Fame in-game? That'd be hell-o-long Thanks Credit List as there are lots of people who deserve it. You want to appreciate certain modder for his/her work? Endorse, rate, comment in the Workshop. If it's truly revolutionary Keen will notice it and maybe grant the Ultimate Reward.

23. Sektan Apprentice Engineer

THX :)

I'm really curious how this whole thing will turn out.
    --- Automerge ---
    Ultimate Reward - yes, It would be great. But I do not think that keen go this way. It's still a good idea.

24. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Fighter cockpit, corner lights, corner lcds. Those are mods made vanilla.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.