Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Show Off Someone Else's Creations!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Lord Commissar, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

Credit goes to Tyriosh for the original idea.

The point of this thread is to, as the title says, show off workshop items that belong to someone other than you. We hope through this to not only provide more detailed feedback to the author, but also to make it easier for other SE players to find high quality ships.

Please follow these simple rules:

1. Do NOT post your own creations.

2. Do NOT spam creations of your "buddies" - one or two is fine, but don't fanboy over one author or post a ship just because they made it.

3. Try to give a reason why you liked the ship, don't just say "it's awesome." If you wish, let them know (politely) what they could improve upon.

4. Keep to one ship per post. Post individual ships, not collections.

Here is one to start off, this is the most recent ship to hit the front page that I found impressive:

[​IMG]

MCT Tanto by BoredArsonist

I had often tried to make my own idustrial cargo ships, but i either wound up making them very sleek or very boxy looking. This ship gives a great mixture of both elements, and is a design i could see fitting in with my own style and preferences very well. The use of incomplete blocks is nice, and adds alot of detail which would not otherwise exist - especially since this ship only uses two mods (another plus).

Main things i would suggest for the ship is that the author uses 1-2 other mods in the interior, especially Kolt's Command Consoles. Also, While i do like the rear of the ship, i think it might serve better both aesthetically and functionally to replace the fins with more forward engines.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Howitz Junior Engineer

The Ifrit Battleship made by Tristavius (Held in a drydock made by Lord Commissar ''aka Darklord'')

[​IMG]
    The Ifrit battleship, once i saw it, was surely the best battleship i've seen yet in the whole game, and i think it still is, the exterior, the interior layout, everything seems perfect, it is to me one of Tristavius's best work, a space engineer's masterpiece.

the only cons it have is that i found some weakspots in its armor that allows disabling important sections more easily. and it also rely on mods, which to me is a con but not to everyone tho.

Check it out by yourselves

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=346692260&searchtext=ifrit

Also Lord Commissar, i thought the same as you when i saw the ship you posted on the earlier reply, its a very nice freighter :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  3. Sungur Apprentice Engineer

here is a ship that i found in the steam workshop.

i think this is a remarkable shape is achieved by its creator!

creator : P_Lav
    type : fighter
    name of the vessel : Chevalier AN-12RG Anvil

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wizlawz Master Engineer

i just LOVE these kinds of Styles

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280407901

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=273840177
    [​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=276662898
    [​IMG]

=====================================================================================================

First ship i messed around with for Gravity mining, i modded it out {no mods though}:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=257415360
    [​IMG]

First Gravity collector i used:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=267034535
    [​IMG]

The First Mining Ship i used from the workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=258390343
    [​IMG]

====================================================================================================

Now that we can do drones i was hoping this Author would have updated this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198939258
    [​IMG]

5. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Using cargo containers and production blocks as greebles looks so cool but makes me really uncomfortable given the number of accidents that happen in this game. Really, really cool ship though, I might try my hand at updating the drones. Is the ship conveyored at all?

6. Wizlawz Master Engineer

i am not sure, it has been a long time

7. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Some superb starts; I was going to put up the Tanto myself but Lord C beat me to it - I love the front section in particular, brilliant use of the new blocks. The Chevalier I hadn't seen before but wow that is sleek; love it!

First one from me is a newer workshop entry which I think will become big...

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=400848084&searchtext=

The exterior is rather beautiful in a no-nonsense kind of way; I can see this being exactly how such a ship might look in the future. The use of heavy armour as a contrast with almost 'plated' sections is brilliant and while the colours are a bit dull, the use of the Orange tinted thrusters totally transforms it and highlights the overall shape. Interior wise there are a lot of very well done spaces and some interesting shapes and layouts along with some nice little touches. The use of the strip lights is superb - I haven't seen anyone use those very well yet. Has a fair few mods but really isn't very dependent on them - they are fluff decoration only which is the way it should be as far as I'm concerned. Criticisms would be the same - a bit flat on the colours and it would benefit at least from some mood lighting.

The author's workshop shows the journey towards this ship and seems to be getting stronger with each major release. With a bit of use of colour especially internally I think a follow up release would do extremely well. One to watch I think.

[EDIT] I've actually just seen the full mod list and actually it's way, way over the top, especially as many are only used once etc. Could really benefit from trimming it down to the more necessary ones.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Since the Ifrit has been bought up, I thought I'd share a 'classic' ship as well which was the original inspiration.

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=248703071&searchtext=

The Titan was one of my favourite non-Phoenix ships when I first started building. By the time I joined it was already very 'dated' in many ways - the interiors had very little to them and nowadays just look very simplified. The ships also uses interior thruster placement which is a long outdated concept. That aside, the exterior must have been one of the greats of it's day and even now has a lot of superb elements to it. I especially love the overall shape with the keel getting deeper towards the bows. You can see a lot of the bows in the Ifrit design thought the are actually quite different when you look at the block-for-block. I always liked the bridge as well, though it was far too vulnerable for something I would build. The little hangers were very cool, though changes with blast doors and so forth have rendered them a little obsolete. A few other superb concepts were also there such as a standardized berthing mechanism.

Overall, think of it like a classic car; it may not match up to any of the modern standards for design and building but in it's day it must have been quite a showpiece and has been the kind of thing which inspired future designs. In this case the Ifrit was definitely a tip of the hat.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

Im surprised, the author of the Titan has only 160 hours in SE and builds on such a high quality. Sad hes not active anymore.

10. picklerok Junior Engineer

I saw the discussion for this thread on another thread. I'm glad to see that this post came to fruition, as I think it is a great idea.

I believe I just learned a new word. This will probably never come up in conversation, but it's nice to know there is an official term for it. :p

Anyways, here's one that I just found on the Steam Workshop that I really like. I haven't done anything with them yet, but the new sloped armor blocks look pretty cool when used right IMO.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403411194&searchtext=

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
  11. Jikanta Apprentice Engineer

By Sundae
    Knights Of Sidonia

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Carrion Senior Engineer

Oh that is so impressive. i may have nerdgasmed

13. Terminal_6 Trainee Engineer

Came across this ship, The Void Drake, by RocketPoweredApe. It follows DFL guidelines, but I really like the angle ramps on it.

[​IMG]

14. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

Ok, i'm done with this game......this person won it, no purpose even trying to compete.....
    Although, maybe somebody can make this functional =)

15. Sungur Apprentice Engineer

i never understood the purpose of a humanoid bipedal shaped spacescrafts or robots (with the exception of Macross / Robotech series)

16. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Even in robotech it's hard to justify the complication. The robot form doesn't really do anything that a plane couldn't do from a combat perspective.. a vtol ship with the guns on turrets for agility. All the extra motors for the robot are so much weight! And I don't think I've ever seen a good use for it.

Really it's just cause they look badass.

17. Sungur Apprentice Engineer

the only reason might be a zentraedis but lets not change subject of the topic.

18. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Okay today's entry...

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=341403423&searchtext=

Came across this with workshop searching my name (man that sounds vein) to see what sort of projects were using my mods. No mods in this case, but a rather interesting mini-version of my Onager. I'd always considered doing a smaller version for mounting on a vessel, but I think Meat Wagon beat me to it! I really like the way the main gun looks both opened and closed and the way the hatches open is a far more space efficient solution than the Onager. It was more or less the design I had in my head for a short-barrel ship mountable variant myself. I could see this forming the front of a large capital ship as a main-gun :)

Anyway, a nicely done piece by the author, shame it didn't get more attention.

Not sure how well it now functions - the Onager changes from patch to patch (and in fact I haven't tried in quite a while!) so this probably does too.

19. picklerok Junior Engineer

Me neither. In space they are completely useless. Unless bipedal robots as cool as the titans from Titanfall are made, I'm not convinced they'd really be superior to tanks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

Well, the mighty devs will give us planets, I hope this year. So maybe robots will come in handy one day ;)

21. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Today's offering...

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407820105&searchtext=

Interesting one this and another entry for the colony ship contest. Externally it's a simple, no nonsense but very well designed hull and even without knowing what it was supposed to be, I'd have said Long Range Transport. I particularly like the slightly asymmetrical aspect with the stripe and bridge, and the two tone markings on white actually work extremely well colour wise. The slight recessing of the bridge windows within the slope itself works beautifully.

Internally it's really nailed the competition requirements bang on. The drone bay is rather cool and the accommodation setup clearly shows thought as to what such a craft would actually need (in this case for a few crew to be awake from time to time). Where it really shines though is the medical facilities - I love the way the pods aren't just dumped against a wall but are in banks supported by machinery and even batteries (and even attention paid to giving them lockers). The cryo room really does feel superb.

Use of mods is about medium and mostly only used for finishing touches rather than as a core part of the ships (which is exactly how I like it to be).

Finally, this is one of the first projects I've seen demonstrate good use of the new sloped blocks as individual 1x1x1 pieces, not just joining them up automatically.

[​IMG]

22. SirTragain Apprentice Engineer

It does look nice but that left front connector seems useless located where it is.

23. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Yeah I was wondering about that!

24. Sungur Apprentice Engineer

Tristavius,

i am also preparing a ship for that contest. there is a mod limit. thats why you see limited mod usage.

Cyropods (both), Eikester's decoration mods 1-2, window fix and Kolt's command controls (btw you might consider to add more command blocks as Kolt's mod is a bit old now).

after being used to the catwalks 2,1 mod (1x1 stairs) vanilla stairs are hard to use :(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
  25. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

pretty basic shape, bu with nice details indeed, bwt. you said ist from a contest, could anyone give me a link? Would love to have some Kind of contest here too, actually. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
  26. damoran Junior Engineer

it's for decoration, I try to add detail and greeble to emulate inner workings for mechanics that are not in game. in the absence of a large selection of block parts I use vanilla blocks that could be something else(imagined). I sort of imagined those as some part related to the FTL. Or perhaps sensors, just felt something needed to breakup the repetitive pattern of the sloped blocks.

thanks for mentioning my build, it's good hear when people appreciate the thought I put into it.

27. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

Nice ship, neat details! I don't build to much with those new ramps and slopes until now, I just hate their LOD appearance. If you are about 150 meters away, a mostly streamlined ship will become a brick again.
    Hope they're going to refine those LOD settings.

28. adamvansanten Trainee Engineer

Exactly this. I started working on a huge freighter last week and about 10% of the ship renders correctly when I'm at the front. The rest is just jagged edges... So I'm going back to the armor slopes mod for now.

29. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

Bumping this. I don't have anybody else's stuff to recommend, because I haven't been playing the game much lately. But this is a good idea that belongs on page 1.

30. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=345296763

why do I post this ship?

• its not to big, my computer can handle it (unlike some other behemoths on the workshop)
    • awesome paintjob and nice interior
    • really look how much love he put into this thing
    • it looks like an assault rifle, I like rifles
    • he is a screaming panda

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.