Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Show off your creations!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by David184, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

What do you mean by Fire and Forget? Because my missiles currently have a "guidance kill" mode that locks their trajectory on the last vector that was fed to it before you executed the kill command.

If you are referring to homing, that will have to wait until Keen gives us the new camera features because the days of GFD-based homing missiles are numbered. :(

Also... those were some sexy explosions!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, the mobile production version will be self sufficient. But it will be a non-combat ship with minimal defenses and light armor.

Having welding ships and mining ships for free-space and atmospheric on-board (4 small ships) might be problematic because of landing gear issues. I've been working around that by strictly making everything large block and attach via merge.

3. odizzido Junior Engineer

I like your piston design, very compact and effective.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm not referring to homing. I'm referring to using the very first vector grabbed from the "Shooter Reference" block and not updating it at all. The missile will follow that vector until it reaches it's terminal point/time and then do what your missiles usually do at that point.

Your "kill" mode isn't documented in the workshop, so I'm not certain of the results. I would love (yes, more work for you but more praises), to just have a true/false variable labeled as "FireAndForget" and ticking it "true" would follow the described behavior. This would allow me (and others) to launch a missile at a static target then turn away or even engage another target with a second missile or salvo of missiles. When/if Keen removes the possibility of intergrid communications (an exploit), being able to fire and forget will at least give some functionality to the script as it can grab the vector just before unlocking from the host.

Plus it would be as cool as shit for an already awesome script IMHO. Dumping out a missile while dive bombing a target from 10km up and then pulling out of the dive as the missiles scream down their assigned vector(s)... or watching six missiles fall out of a ship flying at 1000 meters off the deck, then the host banking away before getting into gun range... so cool.

You're our only hope, Obi-Whip-Kenobi.
    --- Automerge ---
    The decoy flying off was pretty easy to do. I have another programmable block on board that's running in the same loop as the Optical Missile PB. It's basically monitoring the health of the LCD up front. It activates the decoy as soon as 300 ticks pass (5 seconds). As soon as FullIntegrity is false or the block is missing, the PB turns on the thrusters in the front and unlocks its merge block. This causes the armored decoy to fly up and usually over the target, giving enough time for the main missile to do its job. Sometimes the decoy ends up spinning. But that just makes it harder to hit. While the wide lcd is kind of ugly, it serves its purpose to detect incoming fire at the missile.

5. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Credit for that goes to Grindy Gears .... he showed me a design that used this kind of layout, and I built up from there. His used a single stack and a small drill array...but I wanted HUGE, so I scaled it up. The basic principle uses one extended piston that contracts to lower 3 pistons that extend. Daisy chain that, and you can get impressive reach. 3 contracted pistons have the same length ( nearly) as 1 extended....so it all tucks in neatly.

I was playing on a world with meteors enabled, so I needed to be able to 'hide' the rig in my underground base. My existing designs using plain piston stacks could only drill to 40m and was a major job to park safely. I was looking for a way round it.....got chatting to GG and he showed me some of the stuff he was working on. This is the result.

VERY important though....extend the pistons from the drill end back...not the other way round. Otherwise you over stress the setup. It puts a LOT of weight on the pistons. Extending pistons from the drill end of the chain reduces that. It's the difference between a successful device and a wreck :)

6. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Can I offer one more bit of advice that might make your life a little quicker?

After rewatching the video I noticed your connector array to get rid of waste stone. it's much more volumetrically efficient to use a large to small advanced rotor and put on many small grid ejectors. while they drop slightly less stone per tick than the larger counterparts you have 25x as many per surface area.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Yeah... It was kinda a hidden feature that I never bothered explaining because utilizing it would require me to release my personal missile launch codes that are not too user friendly :woot:

Simple enough. I'll get on it :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Seff Apprentice Engineer

You can pretty much already do this with just a couple extra timers. Have your normal Missile 1 timer, but all it does is start a Trigger Now looped timer for the usual missile guidance (basically taking the place of the timer that is actually supposed to be Missile 1 for standard script setup), and a second timer (whose delay is set depending on your detach and main ignition times) that runs the progblock with the kill arg. Fire, hold lock, then peel. If you want visual confirmation of when the vector is locked, you can name the beacon on the missile to something that doesn't have Missile x on it, and then turn it on with the same timer that sends the kill arg. That way as soon as you see the missile appear on your HUD, you know you can pull out of your attack run.

But since Whip is going to add a fire and forget variable, I guess I'm going to remove a couple timer blocks from my atmo bombs soon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

New ships from Hyperion Systems!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  11. Aracus Senior Engineer

Left-most at the back looks like a Hyperion-systems/Big Red Halfbreed...? And *Drools* I so wanna get my hands on that space station! :O

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. masterzh Trainee Engineer

The middle big ship has some nice design elements and color mixing. I would better go with some more variety for it sides but still a master piece. Very good job sir, you deserve a space cookie.

[​IMG]

13. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

14. VanuBaguio Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  15. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

That is awesome!

Every time I think I'm finally getting good at coming up with a nice design, I come to this thread, see what you guys post, and am like ..... "nope, I suck" :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Levits Senior Engineer

Aye Vanu (and anyone else), I've been wondering how or what settings you all use to get such quality pictures. Not sure if it's just me personally not seeing it in my own screenshots, but most of them don't seem to be as... "pretty"?

I mean, I figure my machine can handle the graphics, but they never seem to be as clear as the ones that you all put up with fleets and stuff.

Just wondering what kinda settings you all use/prefer and/or is it simply getting the right angles and sunlight?

17. Hummy91 Trainee Engineer

Im sure someone will tell you, I've never used it but I know there is a key combo for a Higher Definition Screenshot, something like shift+f4? Don't recall.

18. VanuBaguio Trainee Engineer

I have my graphics set to max and I use f4 to take an 8k screenshot (Here's the guide on how to do it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=771134609 ). The resolution of the screenshot I posted was brought back down to 4k because I used a photo editing program (I only used it to apply vignetting) that only supported up to 4000x2250

19. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

What's the inside like?

20. chrisb Senior Engineer

Just another ship, this one is around half a km with a opening area that reveals a glass section. I was thinking 'growing' (greenhouse), but then I thought maybe something else.
    Anyway, it is what it is. Video too to get a better look.

[​IMG]

Its all airtight.

21. VanuBaguio Trainee Engineer

It's not finished but here's some pics of what I've done inside:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  22. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I am so sorry.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  23. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

I am not big on star treck lore, I kind of remember that the defaint class is overmotorized, but this is rediculus! I mean, whats its maximum warp? All of em!?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

ADD ALL THE NACELLES

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

It looks awesome. Sometimes, I end up with more room than I know what to do with. And at the same time, I hate big rooms and love bulkheads.
    Kinda why I'm interested in ship interiors, seeing how people utilize their space and figuring out why a fair number of people don't put bulkheads in their warships.

26. rlb Trainee Engineer

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Pauli Rikula Trainee Engineer

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

I like that second screenshot :D

Since they move in random directions have you tried putting a decoy inside of one to see how long it could keep NPCs shooting at it?

29. ATalkingRock Apprentice Engineer

I find it so coincidental seeing halo frigates recently as I've finally gotten a new computer allowing me to update and work on my 1: 1 Paris class frigate. Though admittedly so the frigates from the game don't have this much detail. What were your inspirations for such?

30. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

"Warp class"

• Like Like x 1