Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Show off your creations!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by David184, Oct 17, 2013.

1. punkatron Trainee Engineer

Many thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try. The ice miner works well enough but I need waay more for Hydrogen needs to get off this planet, so I took interest in making a Large Grid atmospheric miner instead, and with a large Container for massive storage. It hoovers ice at an awesome rate :)

[​IMG]

On another note, I don't like cheating in creative, but it saved so much time to build/design it that way, so did it on a blank creative world. Now I've uploaded it to my survival campaign on mars as a blueprint, yet have the humungous fail nightmare of trying to weld it!

[​IMG]

I have no idea if I'm even doing this right, but I'm continuing to have to do this by hand block by dang block (taking ages, what with running back and forth to fill inventory, replenish hydrogen for jetpack etc - tedious as hell), cos the welder ship I made is nothing short of absolutely useless at reaching inner blocks! It just can't be done! Arghh

2. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Keen nerfed welders..AAARRRRrrrrRRrgh without thinking of the consequences. There are two solutions.
    1. Use your welder ship as a mobile scaffording or create a ship that is one. You should be able to walk around on top of it and access inventory.
    2. Use the old welder range by adding a mod to the game. It just restores welders to the old pre-nerf range...where it should be IMHO.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=856856885

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sim Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Spectre250 Trainee Engineer

So I wanted to post a little teaser while I am putting the final touches on a couple of projects. Links to follow when they are good and ready.

The first is going to be a 7500 metric ton assault ship I am designating the LN-217 series, built with endurance prioritized over maneuverability or raw firepower. I have two variants almost ready, one of which includes twin large-grid PMW bays in the nose. I have not yet decided on the names for the release models though. I am thinking "Sophia," "Kinetic Resolution," and "Aces and Eights" are all on the short list however. Oh, and the skeleton of a ship in the background is going to be a big carrier. The only thing close to functional on her right now is the ops center.

[​IMG]

As for the next screenshot, All I will say is I have been busy on the fighter, strike, and light utility front.

[​IMG]

All being said though, I could use some advice for paint jobs on the lot of them.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

Looks good! Although considering PMWs can eat through several layers of heavy armor, "endurance" is an iffy concept.

I have yet to determine the effect these high penetration PMWs have on blast doors.
    --- Automerge ---
    Jeezums, I replicated odizzido's gravity cannon best I could from his video (interesting design) and it punches its way through two thirds of my most heavily armored ship...
    the thread: https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/defeating-heavy-armor.7392799/#post-1287040280

It struggles against the target's gravity generator, and probably won't hold against point defense, but jeez. Things like this make armor irrelevant.
    (have yet to try against blast doors tho)

Edit: it has some struggles against layered armor with blastdoors, but nothing a second hit can't fix.
    --- Automerge ---
    bye bye heavy cruiser

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  6. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Hehe I love it :D

7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If you can't maneuver/accelerate you'll be a sitting duck. The PMW's will rain upon you with the wrath of KLANG!

Your attackers will just stay out of range and anytime you direct an offensive at them, they'll just disappear and reappear somewhere else while in range.

8. Wellstat Apprentice Engineer

Due to the current state of SE physics, fast and agile is usually more survival practical than heavy tankers. But what ultimately matters is the Rule if Cool. Looking cool is always better than practicality and anything else.
    --- Automerge ---
    Airdart Mobile SAM

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865783535

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. VanuBaguio Trainee Engineer

UNSC GA-TL1 Longsword (W.I.P) (1 mod only = Small Ship Glass)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  10. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

My attempted at a reasonable sized "go anywhere" ship that can also carry small ships. Uses hydrogen thrusters exclusively because the look good and to get a high thrust to weight ratio.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

[​IMG]

Edit: aaaand this is why we don't write posts like this under the effects of sleep deprivation. So, uh, have some Workshop links...
    World: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=867573786 (Edit 2: yay! Accidentally linked the Blueprint twice! Honestly, people shouldn't let me internet anymore...)
    Blueprint: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=867572340 (see below for necessary mods)
    MAN that's embarassing. Okay, okay, on to the sceduled program...

First things first - yes, this is a blatant rip off of the Empire's stardestroyers. The design is not borrowed, it's not inspired. It's a rip off.

Secondly - this ship uses the following extra-Keen additions:
    -) Mexpex' "MWI-Weapon Collection"-mod for the warship-building engineer in need. Because, let's be real, Keen's vanilla turrets suck.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=449392448
    -) Lord|Monkey's "Block or Group Status on panel"-script for the OTHER engineer in need, the one using turrets that like to shoot their own ship. See more below.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=625956494&searchtext=group

The Monarch Class Battleship was originally going to serve as an extention to the Duchess Class Atmospheric Gunboat, meant to be, basically, the bigger, badder sister. Due to obscene amounts of Heavy Armor this didn't really pan out so the experiment was turned into a standard space-bound hull. This is, incidentally, the reason for the unusual amount of thrusters pointing down, which in turn has had a negative effect on the weaponry (a problem that will be rectified in the Creative PvP Mode-Variant).

Despite her modest size of just over 400 meter she has a huge impact on the game's performance right now; i attribute this mostly to the amount of Conveyor Blocks used to hook up everything for Survival. Yes, this ship is Survival-ready - if your crew (and it's PCs) can handle her.

One problem frequently encountered with turrets is their habit of shooting just about everything, from the enemy to the kitchen sink, and impractically enough that includes their own grids.

Since the Monarch Class' topside is positively covered in automatic weaponry it is highly recommended to use the above-mentioned script in combination with Button Panels or Flight Seats to manually activate turret groupings when they are facing the enemy at an angle that will not make them shoot their own hull.
    For this to at least _somewhat_ work the ship's weapons have been grouped* into the following Control Panel Groups:

-) Top Front Cannons, Top Aft Cannons (both featuring a tiny assortment of different weapons)

-) Top Port / Starboard Main Cannons (Mk 3 Cannons, the main guns most save to use)
    -) Top Port / Starboard Small Cannons (Mk 1 and 2 Cannons for auxilliary fire)
    -) Top Port / Starboard Main Turrets (Heavy Defense Turrets for when the ship is in such a danger that hitting it's own hull has become a secondary concern)
    -) Top Port / Starboard Anti-Missile Turrets (Exactly what it says on the tin)

-) Bottom Port / Starboard Turrets (A pitiful amount of defensive weaponry for extreme emergencies)

All of the ship's three Bridges (Main Bridge, Secondary Bridge and Battle Bridge) and the Battle Cockpit can operate all of these weapon groupings to varying degrees; while the Battle Cockpit has to make do with simplified, less carefully chosen groupings both the Main Bridge and the Battle Bridge offer dedicated workstations with both Flight Seat and Button Panel support to activate and deactivate weapons as needed (which is supported by Lord Monkey's script by displaying the status of each grouping; make sure that ownership of the entire ship is set up correctly and that the Timer Block is running!).

The Monarch Class can absolutely be piloted by a single player but i HIGHLY advise to use her with a crew of at least five players: 1 Pilot, 3 Tactical Officers** and 1 Captain serving as spotter for the other players (for example ordering "Top Starboard Main Cannons Fire!" when the enemy is in optimal position).
    In a perfect world i would recommend the following crew***:

-) 1 Captain for quick and efficient decision making in the heat of battle
    -) 1 or 2 spotters, ideally one each for the navigational and tactical teams
    -) 1 Pilot
    -) 1 Chief Tactical Officer coordinating and supervising the...
    -) ...3 Tactical Operators manipulating the weapon groupings
    -) As many Damage Control Teams the game can handle
    -) 1 Quartermaster logging resource use and requesting supplies from the fleet

The last one might seem odd but the Monarch Class is not designed with my usual kitchen sink-approach; she has no shuttlecraft, no hangar, no auxilliary craft other than friendly indipendant vessels. Thus the crew will either have to go on EVAs to gather ore or send other players on cargo runs. In Survival, that ammunition has to come from somewhere (though the ship as-uploaded comes equipped with ample amount of ammunition).

A note on her ability to survive battle: i reckon she's terrible. She has a lot of Light Armor thanks to her original purpose as an atmospheric airship (though admittedly that Light Armor exists mostly on the inside) and her underside is quite unprotected. I upload her mostly because i kinda grew to like her. She has also given me some insight about building warships that will, hopefully, benefit my next project.

Another word, this time on performance: it's equally terrible. I blame the Conveyors. I hope to upload a more performance friendly Creative Mode-variant sometime in the near future.

* This description text presumes that groupings and toolbars remain as-are when someone else downloads the file.
    ** The weapon groupings are set up in a way where one player can comfortably manipulate four groupings per station.
    *** Yes, yes, 'tis a pipe dream, i'm just having fun here :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  12. P. Kerman Apprentice Engineer

I have a dream that one day this game will rise up, and live out the true meaning of the klang: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all blocks are created equal."
    I have a dream that one day on the red planet of mars pistons and rotors will work together in harmony without exploding.
    I have a dream that one day the state of space engineer, a state stuttering with the melancholy of poor framerates and stuttering with the misery of poor synchronization, will be transformed into an oasis of smooth play and high FPS.
    I have a dream that all of my space ships will one day fly free in a solar system where they will not be judged by the number of their grids, but by their beauty.
    I have a dream today!

;) sorry, couldn't resist ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

You know.... Clang will be back !!!
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bipin Trainee Engineer

First time building a large ship since I bought the game a year ago! :D A few of you especially attentive ones may remember a couple of the small ship designs I had posted a years ago, when playing on my friend's PC. I've always been one for the Hawken/Homeworld aesthetic, so without further adieu... I present my utility/maintenance/security ship! It's large and slow, meant to have a decisive presence in a region of space. When finished, it will fully service the region with civilian amenities and also security/safety.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy! :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Phantom92 Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 4
  17. Levits Senior Engineer

wait... rotors, wheels, a piston elevator, and a rotor-based turret? I don't believe it. Clang demands a sacrifice. Who's soul did you sell to get this screenshot?!

18. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I mean, you can make some pretty wild stuff if you have the know how and the patience (mind you a few weeks ago they completely fuckered the system but hey, this will one day be possible again)

Lots of pistons, rotors, wheels and other nonsense went into this 500 tonne rig, including mixing small and large grid to get the rotor torque strong enough to not need gyro assist to rotate the upper.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  19. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

Decided to work on small ships again, and instead ended up working on an existing design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Changes include things like better protected thrusters, less mass, a tad less armor, gatling guns reduced from 4 to 2 and a change from independent to parasite fighter.

Edit:
    I might put it up on the workshop when I get home.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Phantom92 Trainee Engineer

Heheh, the turret is actually supported via a wheel, as that doesn't wobble. :D
    As for clang, magic! But no fear, he still makes his mark when one attempts to drive the vehicle.

21. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Plz no. Any less than 4 gatlings is nearly useless in a dogfight.

22. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

By all means, if you can fit more without altering the appearance of the craft, go ahead.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871438509
    I removed 2 of them because the conveyors feeding them were open to incoming fire from below. I have yet to find a new spot to put them while keeping that as close to the center as possible.

23. ☭Mrfluffythe3rd™ Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 2
  24. Levits Senior Engineer

[​IMG]
    Reworked the E.F.A. Heavy Frigate (ignore the name of the blueprint). It's built to scale (or at least close enough; could be larger) but the thing is larger than the (not to scale) E.F.A. destroyers. This one has been fully finished (cept the coloring and automated systems). But since that would take forever, I'm going to just ignore that for a while. Gotta rework the rest of the fleet and that'll take enough time on it's own.

Oh, and the openings at the bottom of the ship are... well, I'm not that sure. There's 6 launch tubes that can be used for either guided missiles or drop pods. But only one or the other. Can't figure out which one I prefer though. Should also have 2 fighters in the hanger (reworked EFA scout fighters).

Also, got the workshop link here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871626670

• Like Like x 3
  25. punkatron Trainee Engineer

Thanks, looks nice, I enjoyed looking around. But why so many air vents? is it necessary even on a ship this big? I often wondered how many you really need to use. Is the number perhaps determined by multiple air tight compartments?

26. Squire Trainee Engineer

Wish my machine was strong enough to showcase my project with better colours and textures. My paint schemes are not to good either, everything disappears currently against one another in my screen shots.... Here is my 40K Battle barge with Thunderhawk launching from the main hanger. Thunderhawk was inspired from various other similar workshop builds, took ideas that I liked in each build to create mine, inside space for seated pilot, co-pilot, gunner and 7 passengers and loads of standing space. Thunderhawk was created specifically for the barge in the background.

[​IMG]

27. Levits Senior Engineer

Indeed. The warship has compartmentalization like a son of a gun. Each room can be sealed, and each sealed room has vents that connect to and transfer air through other vents to spread the air around. This way, you've always got some spot on the ship that would have air even in combat. To tell the truth though, I do wish there was a way to place a one-way airflow armor block to allow me to pass air through armor instead of having to place a vent down for it.

But the biggest problem (reason for the most excess) is the exterior. Because we have no "half-blocks" I used air vents to "temporarily" fill that space. They are as tough as heavy armor and do not deform; but again, they also show up in the terminal. You can see them in the picture. There's about 100 just on the outside alone at the front. Believe me, if we had half blocks I'd have totally used them instead. Now I just want/need a way to hide the blocks in the terminal... Saw someone else use them for half blocks and now I can't get enough of it :woot: it's become a problem.

There's a bit more customization and fitting that I can and need to do in order for it to perform as it should, but that would require either mods or the devs to add additional blocks/customization options. But the interior layout and exterior fit what it would be like (though it would be a little bit more crowded if it were truly a 1/1 scale model).

28. Robert Catterall Trainee Engineer

My New Type 72 Frigate,

With this build I wanted to build a ship in the shape of a giant gun, inspired by the Marines space ship in the classic Aliens. It's a small to mid sized frigate with Long jump Capability, 3 Fighters, Landing Gear & Ramp, Various Alert Alarms, Damage Report functions and a lot weapons.

Ship's Mass,3,274,638kg

52 x Gyros
    12 x Gatling Turrets
    11 x Missile Turrets
    6 x Rocket Pods
    151 x Hydrogen Thrusters : Ready for atmospheric flight Max lift 4,000,000kg
    5 x Jump Drives [Jump Distance 1252km]
    2 x Large Reactors
    1 x Med Bay
    1 x Large Storage container
    2 x Flight Seat (main Flight Seat on the right)
    6 x Gunner's seats

Coms &Signals : Beacon, Antenna, Ore Detector

Landing Gear : Retractable x 3 : set on timer block
    Retractable Ramp, : Ground access for moving troops quickly on/off
    Fighter Bay with quick release fighters x 3, Timer block time up for ATHD alarms & lights

Ship Wide Alerts,
    Green, White inner ship Lights , Running lights white,
    Yellow, Yellow Inner Ship Lights, Running lights white,
    Red Alert, Front Window Blast Door, Red Inner Ship Lights, Running lights Red,

Nav Lights, Port and Starboard flashing lights,
    Running Lights, White, White Flashing, Red & Off

Ship Status Reports :

Various LCD screens for Ship details,
    Speed, location, power output, jumpdrive, rotor status, Damaged blocks
    (This uses Automatic LCD 2 - no mod needed) can be switched of from flight seat or middle button panel

LCD screens for Ships Layout / Floor plan & visual Damage report
    (This uses the Floor Plan Script no mod needed - can be switched of from flight seat or middle button panel)
    This can be server intensive online / and locally - so switch it off if you have problems or you're not using it, but it does look cool.

Flying Notes:

When firing the rocket pods, turn off the front land thrusts group.
    When operating the landing gear or ramp remember to switch off the Rotor safety lock group.
    And again, switch off scripts to improve performance

Build Notes :

I really wanted a mass driver in the front like a torpedo room I did try out many different types, but keep having issues with firing when moving and it ripping the front of my ship off, also the size is just too big with big blocks, so i built a few small block mass drivers with a small rotor head, but again guidance issues when moving, + it moves the ship if you don't switch of the ship's internal grav, Also wanted to add a mine deployment system at the back, next time build :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Workshop Link

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  29. Squire Trainee Engineer

So a while ago, I showed a project that I'm busy with which is taking me ages, so here is an update of how she is looking now. Painting her isn't done yet but 90% of the hull is complete now, few details I still want to ad.

Length = 2.5m shy of a kilometer
    Height = 370m
    Width= 572.5
    Weight = 133mil kg

Reactors = 32x large (Vanilla)
    Current Rooms = Auxiliary Bombardment Cannon control, Chapel and reactor room (Pressurized)

So far only minimal forward, left and right thrust and make shift reverse thrust, no gyros have been placed yet.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  30. punkatron Trainee Engineer

Hello, I thought I'd risk showing something I made, my first ever big ship or 'capital' type ship. They seem popular to make, and for the fun of it I thought I'd try my hand. Maybe only modestly successful, but for a newish player I'm relatively pleased with the effort. I wanted a kind of all-purpose ship, so it carries all the usual, refineries, assemblers, has a hangar bay even, and sports all three thrust types so it can land and take off on planets. Doubt it stands up to much scrutiny, but anyway for what it's worth..

• Like Like x 2