Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Show off your creations!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by David184, Oct 17, 2013.

1. BitsNoKibbles Trainee Engineer

The sources I found suggested 2100m. It's supposed to be roughly twice the size of Galactica. Complement is supposed to be 100-150 raiders.

My intent was to build it 3/4 scale... I just measured, and the straight arm is 500 blocks long. When I did the mirror in SEToolbox I saw "1535m" and figured that was length; it was width. Length is 2560m.

Well now... I think I just found most of the problem... :p

In my defense, the actual size was driven by the size of the raider hangar, which holds a dozen raiders in a 3x4 box, and each 1/4 section has two hangars (total of 96 raiders), the idea being that the basestars are very lightly armored and rely on missiles and raiders for offensive capabilities (as compared to the colonial capital ships that are primarily gunboats) and auto-heal (nanobots) for defense. My raider is scaled to Blinky's [Purrfect] Viper (just one or two blocks longer), and I tried to make the hangar as small as possible.

Looks like I'll have to compact the hangars somehow and drop the raider count.

Aside: My raiders have a scripted system for controlling ordnance that detects attached torpedoes, connects them to the toolbar, and controls detach and drop-away so the conformal missiles don't blow holes in the ship. I haven't posted it because I'm still working on the rest of the SMS controls (power/status and display).

Hmm. Well, given that the entire ship is curved, I'll be burning diagonals like marshmallows at a scout campfire.

Aside from reducing scale, I was considering splitting the external hull into multiple grids and connecting with landing gear. Anyone tried this?

2. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

3. VanuBaguio Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

My experience is that landing gear are not "persistent". For example, if you blueprint a design that has components held together by landing gear, these components will not appear with the blueprint (at least, that happened to me). Also, if you are using a jump drive, I've found that connectors or merge blocks are the only way to get peripheral components to come along for the ride. Anyway, that's my 2¢ worth...

5. BitsNoKibbles Trainee Engineer

Correct -- grids on the "pad-side" of the landing gear aren't included in the blueprint, but grids attached via connector are.

I'm trying out a combination of landing gear and connectors... with pistons. The block offsets are too tight to get the connectors to work properly without a little more gap. Working so far... mirroring from SEToolbox hasn't caused anything to clang out, and the only caveat is that one of the connectors doesn't replicate because its piston head is missing and the matching connector has to be reset (easily fixed).

Shape count on the "main" grid is down to 21K, but I think I'm going to split off the lower hull to ensure sufficient headroom for all the internals.

I was always planning on running multiple projectors with separate blueprints for each section, but a ground-up survival build will require a little finagling -- complete main grid (with landing gear and piston connectors) first, then add a sprue from the main grid to the outer grids to get the build started, and remove sprue once there's a block for the LG to latch onto. Careful placement of bobs and trick use of the grind color could probably automate that entirely.

I've copy and pasted this monstrosity without problem (everything stayed attached) but I haven't tried a jump yet.

6. Infamousx70 Trainee Engineer

7. Infamousx70 Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-UPDATE!! 10/11/18
    Whats new?

-Reworked LCDs For Better Organization and visibilty
    -updated body design
    -updated scripts
    -Added Ore Detector
    -Added 4 more cargo containers (2 on each side of cockpit)
    -removed useless killswitch button
    -Reworked Wheel Suspensions to allow for full use of the height offset

The ix70 L.P.E.V. is a state of the art Light Personal Electric Vehicle with many features to aid any engineer in their adventures.

Base weight = 23,516 kg

- Battery powered with 3 small reactors for emergency power
    - Braking Assist Thrusters
    - Vehicle Lift Pistons For repairs and Access to the storage compartment
    - Storarge compartment with x6 small containers
    - Zero Degree Turning mode for navigating tight spaces
    - Auto-Flip gyroscope for when you find yourself upside down
    - Fully Remote controlable
    - info LCD displays using "MMaster's Automatic LCD 2" script
    - Power Killswitch

To enable Zero Degree Turning, 1.Trigger timer 2.hold the "D" key (or whatever key you use to turn the wheels to the right) 3. drive forward or backwards to turn the car. 4. trigger timer again to disable.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=832999158

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mighty-87 Trainee Engineer

9. BitsNoKibbles Trainee Engineer

After resizing the build twice, I gave up and started over.

New build is 1037x762m, 51K shapes, 201K PCU. Launch bays for sixteeen raiders, hanger space for four heavy raiders, eight main batteries (four torps each), heavy CIWS (I don't remember the count).

I built for upper/lower hull rotation but the simspeed got wrecked, so I just merged them.

Simspeed is running about .57 (Ryzen 5/1500 + GTX 1060) with all ancillary systems (refineries, assemblers, etc) turned off. Kinda soupy.

I need to finish and correct some mirroring errors (missing blast doors, projector orientations, errant blocks, etc), and I'm still working on the missile controls. Partial interior, but I've got the functional bits.

I expect I'll be approaching the shape limit before its "finished."

Any suggestions for improving simspeed?

10. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thales M. Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@BitsNoKibbles If you have any scripts running they can cause sim speed drop. I know the one that does the 3D model of your ship, (forget the name of the mod at the moment, I am currently at work) my friend and I were playing and noticed we both got a sim speed drop once we activated that script. It used to run smoothly but since the latest update is when we noticed the sim speed issue. Long story short, we turned off the script sim speed went back up to normal. SO if you do have any scripts try disabling one at a time, maybe you will find your issue that way. :)
    --- Automerge ---
    @Thales M. I Totally agree with you. Gyros realistically only help to find true north, guess Keen didn't get the memo. :)

13. Malware Master Engineer

@mojomann71 The example you're giving is indeed one extreme example of what not to do with scripts. All of the LCD rendering type scripts, anything doing LCD animations with high resolution, floor plans etc. have a high impact and shouldn't be used. Frankly, in my honest opinion, they shouldn't be allowed. LCDs weren't designed to deal with this kind of rendering.

(Ps. Ingame scripts aren't mods, they're vanilla. This distinction is important because people try to install scripts on dedicated servers as if they were mods, then complain when this obviously do not work.)

--- Automerge ---
    Gyros have nothing to do with compass directions. They help to measure changes in general direction, yes, but "true north" has nothing to do with it. They can be used to orient space craft though, by their use as reaction wheels (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_moment_gyroscope). However their use in SE is rather ridiculous, at least for the larger builds (and with larger builds I even mean larger small-grid builds...)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  14. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Malware yeah, I accidentally slipped and mentioned the script as mod once in that post. Was just in a hurry I guess like the rest of the post I did use the term script. :) It is easy to slip up and make that mistake. :)

15. Malware Master Engineer

@mojomann71 Yeah that wasn't really so much for your benefit as for a potential reader with that misconception ;)

16. Snugglez Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 2
  17. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Snugglez looks pretty spot on. Nice job.

18. Lazer Trainee Engineer

19. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Loved all the nostalgia this thread caused. Just going through the first few pages from so many years ago and remembering how exciting it was just to make a blob of blocks that was able to fly! :D Of course most of my ships still look like a blob of blocks...lol

20. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 5
  21. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

22. Pathagarus Trainee Engineer

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  23. Snugglez Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 3
  24. Pathagarus Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 2
  25. Yeoman Trainee Engineer

Slapped this excavator together in Multiplayer Survival. I couldn't have imagined doing this before the series of overhauls to physics and multiplayer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  26. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

@Yeoman

Moving the extended forearm with pistons. That´s cool! (y)

27. Yeoman Trainee Engineer

Thanks, want sure if the rotors could handle it so I thought it better to use them.

• Like Like x 1
  28. gearheadkinny2 Trainee Engineer

Decided to redo my Omega destroyer from scratch. Here is the progress so far. This is a 1:1 scale as usual for me so it'll be around 1700 meters long when finished. I've gotten the forward section, rotating section(actually able to rotate this time) and aft section prior to the engine section roughed in.
    [​IMG]
    As always let me know what you think.

• Like Like x 1
  29. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

...that Agamemnon... that´s sturdy! Ô.o !!! Cool!

30. VanuBaguio Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2