Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Show off your creations!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by David184, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Legofreak Apprentice Engineer

Armadillo portable drilling platform (Armageddon) W.I.P.

top thrusers always on works well for all terrain movement.

First test drill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drill is extremely unbalanced.

2. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Another small thingy.

I have stacked a few small block large thrusters together at 4 planes with each a small angle outwards.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Each plane has 10x3 small block large thrusters. There is a total of 4 planes and such a total of 120 small block large thrusters.
    Each thruster has an angle of 26.56° off the forward direction and thus each thrusters propulsion contributes ~89.4% forward force.
    This amounts a total of 120 (thrusters) * 144 kN * 0.894 = 15 455 kN

A large block large thruster generates 1.2 MN of propulsion and thus you can replace 15455/1200 = 12.879 large block large thrusters with that setup.

The structure itself is at its very first iteration has a volume of 9m x 9m x 22m = 1 782 m³
    Each large block large thruster has a volume of 4*3*2 * (2.5m)³ = 375 m³ and the amount of 12.879 large block large thrusters would require a volume of 4 829.7 m³, not counting the extra space required for the exhaust each of course. Through the extra volume required as safety for the large version compared to the small one is quite high too.

I guess everyone can see what that leads to ... :)

Overall it is yet a bad way of general maneuvering but a great way to give a very strong push in one direction and the "best" is that you use it even internally in your big ships because the thruster exhaust for the small block thrusters is very tiny, especially with that angle.

So imo that is a great mean to quickly accelerate your ship in a single direction.
    Another advantage for survival is that the small block thrusters generate 2x more Newton/Watt compared to the large block thrusters.

Edit: Uploading a video of it right now.

3. Legofreak Apprentice Engineer

maybe that could be effective in a starship enterprise type engine setup

4. plaYer2k Master Engineer

The problem with an application for such a ship is, that the sum of all forces should act onto the center of mass (CoM) or just slightly off. As soon as you have such an utterly unrealistic and impractical propulsion like an Enterprise like ship which has its thrusters not just attached to thin arms but also and that is most important, they are off-center even and thus they permanently generate a moment around the CoM when accelerating forward or backward.

The same would happen if you would attach such a thruster off-center, the ship would spin once accelerating with that drive. To counter that, you had to put another thruster at a location where it annihilates the moment around the CoM when accelerating.

PS: Nice idea with the dril-arm from a car :)
    Work on it a bit and you might get a better working version. Try a bigger version so that your drill head got room for thrusters to stabilize when shaking aswell as some heavy armor blocks to make it more resistant to the forces from the drill.

5. Mohiten Trainee Engineer

The first thing that came to mind, unfortunately:

Torpedo.

Granted it's a fair bit more complex and materials expensive than most would want to invest in a single-shot weapon.

6. Vermillion Senior Engineer

FA-932C - Stargrasper
    [​IMG]

7. Legofreak Apprentice Engineer

i think i might do a large ship version cuz the large ship drill looks more like the one in the movie. although the scale might be pretty far off.

btw i think the angle of those is 33.69 degrees. it looks like a 2:3 triangle but i might be wrong.

8. Volthorne Apprentice Engineer

That must be an absolute pain in the ass to aim on the fly.

9. Spherical Trainee Engineer

This is my first somewhat useful ship: the Very Heavy Freighter Mammoth

stats:
    - dimensions: 360 x 90 x 70 m

- mass: ~26M kg
    - thrusters: 100 (slow freighter is slow)
    - gyroscopes: 172 (still takes ages to turn, I might need a few more, like, 200 more...)
    - build time: ~6 hours (not counting my piston hangar tries)

features:
    - piston operated cargo bays for modular container packs (each consisting of 8 large cargo containers)
    - safe locking of containers up to a speed of 104 m/s (only on good days :p)
    - Mercury Shuttle to move container packs between ship and station (stored in the back of the ship)
    (- glass container pack for visualization)

[​IMG]

download and more information: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=295601545

10. mastpayne Senior Engineer

The Edmund Fitzgerald?

(Nice, by the way...)

11. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Figuring out how to make videos is taking me away from my drug Space Engineers.

Also adding 4 rotors, 4 welders and a handful of light armor blocks gives you this overkill:

[​IMG]

12. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Maneuvering Thrusters are usually located around the saucer (and secondary hull, especially if the ship is capable of separation). Impulse Engines usually sit at the back end of the saucer (and sometimes the secondary hull). The Warp Nacelles have nothing to do with sublight travel aside from collecting Deuterium for the Matter-Antimatter reaction.

13. plaYer2k Master Engineer

A small automatically adjusting solar satellite with dampened power connectors for ships.

It has a landing gear docked solar panel with thrusters on override at each side to give the whole structure some rotation once the plane is affected by the sun. The satellites gyroscope is set to 1% in order to not slow the spinning down at the very beginning. Overall, i achieved >97% solar efficiency no matter what the starting orientation was.

For docking, i have used a single free turning rotor to allow 360° turns around the axis which is normal to the satellites plane. Furthermore there is a pair of two rotors set to rotate to the same angle but from different directions. This provides a nice dampening when you move straight into the power connector.

Here is an example of how the satellite behaves when released at two different orientations. One case is a good case, the other almost seems to be a "worst case".
    The overall worst case would of course be to have the satellite perfectly normal to the sun but facing backwards.

Edit:
    Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=295979984

14. DaePrice Apprentice Engineer

Player, its always fascinating to look at your builds. I was looking at your compounded engine arrangement; If you make all the thrusters point inside the array, vs outside, you could then control the spacing and account for exhaust gasses. I am at work atm, but I am going to test this tonight when i get home. Interesting builds as usual.

15. erdrik Apprentice Engineer

Just finished this Fighter:

[​IMG]

Mass: 64,337 kg
    Power: 3.48 MW total
    - 6 small reactors (backup power), 600 kW
    - 2 battery packs, 2.88 MW
    Power Usage:
    - Idle: ~1% (reactor only), ~0.18% (with batteries)
    - Forward Burn: !Overload! (reactor only), ~33.8% (with batteries)
    - Multi-Vector Burn: !Overload! (reactor only), ~35.7% (with batteries)
    Thrusters: 35 total
    - Acceleration: 2 large, 11 small
    - Breaking: 8 small
    - Strafing: 2 small
    - 'Vertical': 6/4 small (bottom/top)
    Gyroscopes: 6 total
    Weapons:
    - 2 Gatling Guns
    - 2 Rocket Launchers
    Cargo Capacity: 1 medium container

Along with a fully intergated conveyer system, all subsystems(including thrusters) have been named according to its location on the ship.
    All Subsystems have also be catagorized via groups for ease of control within the terminal.

Landing gear is attached to pistons, which are set and grouped on the second toolbar allowing ease of use.
    The landing gear drops to a distance that still allows the use of the connector.

Front

[​IMG]

Side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the Workshop.
    The workshop contains 2 fighters and a small platform to recharge the batteries.
    One is painted red, the other blue.

16. DaePrice Apprentice Engineer

That last fighter reminds me of mine. (That means I like it :)) I need to update it, since it hasn't been tweaked since conveyors came out. I want to make it battery powered vs reactor, but i also need to run the numbers.

Code:
     [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RUwSapd.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/b8QX3BT.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8JL9elc.jpg[/IMG] 

17. K9K | KaMiKaZuU Trainee Engineer

18. erdrik Apprentice Engineer

lol. Thats two posts in this topic where I was the last post on the previous page. :woot:
    Man, I have bad timing.

Nice fighter DaePrice! I kinda feel like the reactor is exposed tho. :p

19. DaePrice Apprentice Engineer

Oh it totally is exposed. I had re worked it a ton, and that was the best i could come up with. Now that batteries are out, I may re-do it. I have a much bigger project i am working on at the moment.... i will post it in my thread probably Wednesday. I havn't updated in like a month or more, been too busy.

20. Anoth Junior Engineer

Here is my newest construction my personal ship the Destiny that i want to use in the future for an special adventure ^^

It weights less then 500000 Kg and is powered by four small reactors and has an backup of three batteries. It has some hidden weapons as seen in the Pictures. Everything is wired up through the conveyor system and is as good as hidden as it goes. The Hangar bay is rather small and houses two small transport vessels wich can be upgraded if needed. The ship itself has no production options, so no assemblers and no refineries. Workshop link will come if someone want to take a closer look into the ship then just the pictures ;)

here are some pictures:
    Ship in "sleep" mode, all systems are online except thrusters and gyros:
    [​IMG]
    Ship in Flight-mode:
    [​IMG]
    Ship weapons exposed:
    [​IMG]
    Open Hangar Door and the two transport crafts:
    [​IMG]
    Landing Pistons extended:
    [​IMG]
    This is to show that the Hangar Floor is to high to use as an good loading ramp for goods when the ship is landed:
    [​IMG]

The Pictures are a little bit pixely and im sorry for that but i hope they will be ok.
    The different angles of the pictures come from the inertia of the pistons they move the ship a little when i extend them and i didn't found a way to counter this :/
    What are your thoughts on this ship? Do you like it? Need more pictures? Let me know =D

21. Stiletto Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

They do kinda look similar from this angle. :D

22. Sgt Doom Trainee Engineer

A small fighter I shat out over the course of half an hour messing about with modded blocks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Brenner Junior Engineer

*Jumps on the band wagon*
    [​IMG]
    Steam Workshop Link

A big thanks goes to Darth Biomech for his awesome fighter cockpit. Finally I don't have to hide the cockpit behind armor blocks anymore!
    The armored thrusters are neat too.

24. Anoth Junior Engineer

I hope you don't mind if i put in something bigger then a fighter ;D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And something non-military ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im so glad i can finaly use the mod parts becouse i wasn't able to before (it was abit to complicated for me to get all the stuff into the right folders and so on don't judge me >.>)

But to all modders out there. You make a great job and i appreciate your work and i bow in front of you^^

25. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Instead of fiddling with new stuff, i focused on old stuff and did outfit my solar planet (formerly solar satellite) with lights for a darker environment (Darkness @ SESkyBoxTool).
    In addition i did remove those annoying 2D textures like Spotlight Cone and LightGlare which overlay the 3D entries.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=295979984

Hopefully i can update sometimes soon to enjoy the modding content functionality too.
    Or even start modding myself .. if i had the patience to learn proper 3D modelling (it sure just takes one or two days .. right ... right??)

26. gFleka Junior Engineer

27. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Hya gFleka, nice to see someone fiddling with decoy launchers too. Though i would like to know how the mechanism actually works as i cant watch the video.
    It seems to be a piston pushing small block decoys which are cramped in a volume surrounded by glass (for the demonstration ofc).
    The question would be, how well is the usability, the reload mechanism and its safety (blocks getting stuck, damage to your own ship) as i see a decoy floating below the rotor.

This was one of my old attempts to launch decoys. Though, i utilized the "empty block" trick from my "The dark arts of engineering" series". So it is nothing you can create ingame, You can however copy-paste it ingame from my source ofc.

28. Beanie Apprentice Engineer

Teaser of the new Quadronic Technologies ship "Venture".

The Venture is a science vessel. Research and development being it's primary purpose.

Specs to come in the future upon completion.

[​IMG]

It has a mess hall, medical bay, crew quarters, along with the standard conveyor systems.

[​IMG]

The Gravity drive makes travel extremely fast. Also on board there are maintenance vehicles along with a dedicated mining vehicle. Of course refineries and assemblers are on board connected to the central conveyor system. Also there are internal and external connectors making resource transferal as easy as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still working on it and it's far from finished, but I thought I'd show it off in it's current state.

I'm loving the new patch making it easy to exploit the mods on steam. All credit to the mod makers.

29. TechyBen Junior Engineer

Venture looks nice. :D

Playing with extending pistons and the true planned design for the Amber-Lance is coming along nicely...

[​IMG]

... except when the pistons decide to explode. :(

30. Beanie Apprentice Engineer

That's my problem with the game. You can build these complex machines or even relatively simple ones, but they break so easily. I actually just made made a short video to illustrate that point.

So I just built a fighter craft, fitted it with retractable landing gears and made a hotkey function for them, which worked beautifully as you can see. Then when the ship picked up some speed... Boom! So much for hard work and planning. Still it's pretty cool to play around with at low speeds, flying around and landing etc.