Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Show off your creations!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by David184, Oct 17, 2013.

1. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

I know there's a million TIE fighters on the workshop, but I'm really pleased with how these came out and wanted to share:

[​IMG]
    (shameless self promotion;), if anyone wants these: here you go.

2. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Wheel of Velocity:

[​IMG]
    1. Build a station.
    2. Build a rotor and a 14 block radius wheel.
    3. Place small ships on wheel. Each consists of at least a landing gear, reactor, and sensor. The sensor points outwards and is configured to unlock the landing gear when triggered.
    4. Spin the wheel up to 30 rpm. Each small ship is now travelling at the maximum speed (~104 m/s).
    5. Place a trigger (player, station, ship, etc.) near the wheel edge. The small ships will sequentially fire off the wheel within 2 seconds (30 rpm = 0.5 revolutions per second), with the direction of travel tangent to the trigger.

While probably not making a practical weapon, it is a compact non-gravity way to get up to speed. Could be useful for transportation systems. Remember to keep the wheel much more massive than the ships attached to it, otherwise the imbalance can cause damage.

Experiments with a connector-based rock throwing version led to explosions and rocks flying on random vectors.

3. Legofreak Apprentice Engineer

6. Profit!

Reminds me of some punkin' chunkin' machines i've seen.

Can it get up to speed quickly?

4. Captain Lackwit Trainee Engineer

I'm an artist. What I make looks pretty before it functions pretty.
    As a result I've been working on a hangar bay. It's just for looks and built to be a facade. A friend asked me to build/draw a hangar bay for his Tumblr background. I took it a step further and went crazy on Space Engineers.
    The background as it currently exists on his tumblr.
    But see, I wasn't satisfied with my work. At the time being I was, but I had more ideas. I was like, "Okay. How else can I improve this? How can I make it look a little more functional and make it look better?"
    So I did.
    Yeah, I know. Those are Welders. But they look somewhat similar to the docking hooks that TIE Fighters use in a way, so I made sure they got used that way. Sort of. Bottom deck isn't even complete, it's just that one room, and yes. I should have put the deconstructed ship in there, but I did not because I am stupid and did things out of order.
    And wow, talk about lighting. Yeesh.
    So what do you guys think? Looks good?

5. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Thanks, Kuu! And yeah, I'm really hoping we get the ramp blocks in vanilla. It would make sense; after all, even KSH has been putting ramps on their creations as hull pieces.

KingdomBragg, thank you; and the Swallows (may have to rethink that name now o.O) handle pretty well. Time to max speed is about 4.7 seconds, which is slower than I'd hoped but faster than I'd feared, and the lateral maneuvering is good; 8 thrusters top and bottom, 6 for the sides. 3 gyros let it rotate swiftly enough -- and unlike some of my other fighters, it doesn't rotate fast enough to make me dizzy. The giant wings are going to be a tempting target, but they do let me stick more engines on. :cool:

I really like those TIEs that you did; you did an excellent job making them accurate, and I love the fact that they're not just eye candy. They're even to the right scale! Makes me want to play TIE Fighter again -- and since they re-released it, I can now! :D

Thanks mhalpern, and that was indeed a BSG reference! You've got a discerning eye: I based this very heavily off of the Galactica's recovery/launch setup, and the only reason this doesn't have the individual launch tubes is because that would make the design too bulky and expensive for its role. If/when I make a larger carrier, it will have that setup, because I really don't like having vessels that are launching entering the same area as vessels coming in; way too risky. This one has a small enough complement that I don't think we'll see many collisions.

Skeleton, I really want to see that as it progresses. This is going to sound stupid, but I think those rotating lights are really cool.

Legofreak, I'm gonna go test that thing out!

Thanks Anoth! Have you put screens of your carrier up? I know you've put some of your ships up in the OOC planning thread, did I miss them there? I'd love to see it.

Arcturus, that is a mildly disturbing device you've got there. I really want to see it in action.

Captain Lackwit, that's a sweet hanger you've got there. It looks very Star Wars-y, and not just with the welders, which do look like the docking hooks for the TIEs ... now I want to fly KingdomBragg's TIEs into there. I also love that you put a railing up; your hanger is one of only a few that is OSHA-compliant. ;)

And Wybo, I didn't really see it before, but that's a very spiffy platform you've built there. It looks like it would be great as a starting base, and I love the industrial look you've given it.

More updates on the carrier:
    Got the general hull shape set up.
    [​IMG]

Trying more ziggurat-ish elements with this than I have before, should be interesting to see how it works out.
    [​IMG]

This is a Cookie Monster among ships. OMNOMNOM I'M GOING TO EAT YOU!
    [​IMG]

Still not entirely pleased with how it looks from some angles. Front still feels too long/too wide sometimes.
    [​IMG]

And the tube. Added four landing pads in addition to the enclosed bays, so it will be able to carry up to 8 fighters, although the pads don't have access to storage for repairs. Both the pads and now the bays have landing gear set into them to help lock the fighters in place. Still desperately hoping they give us a way to lock small ships in place so they won't slide everywhere. :(

6. Captain Lackwit Trainee Engineer

Well, the fighter's own landing gears can accomplish that... To an extent. They still tear off sometimes. It's weird. But...
    HOLY CRAP. Dude that ship is all KINDS of sick! Really nice, clean appearance. Looks nearly like something NASA would build someday, almost. Really needs a front door though- don't want debris and so on to get caught in your bay, aye?
    Thanks for the comments on the Hangar, too. As for OSHA compliance, I have to or else I lose my mind. In an older capital ship design, any door that would lead to the outside would have two sets of doors to show that airlocks were thought of. Security systems and red lights for some other exterior-leading doors as well. Safety features safety features, that's what building maps in Halo: Reach taught me. Sure you can have confidence that your men and women will always be able to keep their composure and so on because hey they're competent right? But we're also human. And very, very, very, stupid at the worst of times. Guard railings and safe heights are absolutely necessary for this sort of thing, design wise. That's actually why I was so mad when they took out ladders AND STILL HAVE NOT ADDED THEM BACK IN because those were a reliable, safe way to get around. That and my ship heavily depended on them. If you have to use your jetpack to get around your ship, chances are you're in a hostile environment. At least, that's how I saw it.
    Will update with improvements later. :D

7. mhalpern Senior Engineer

@Dwarf-Lord I believe I know whats making the front look wide, and how to fix it without changing much, its the 'V' cut at the top, it allows you to see more of the inside, giving the illusion of a wide entrance, make the top plane square at the edge and it will look thinner. As for the length, its the direction of that exterior stripe, the eye follows the stripe giving the optical illusion of it being longer than it is, that along with the size comparison of the nacelles make it look like that, I am not sure how to remedy that though, save maybe some vertical features on the sides (actually vertical not just on the slope or it will look wider) to break up the length. This is based on tricks used to make rooms look bigger or taller via paint stripes but it should apply here.

8. Skeloton Master Engineer

Been working on a new ship. An Aeolus Class Survey Corvette, the SISC Ascendant. First proper ship where Im making it from the inside out.

Rooms nearly completed, lacking lights, so far are:

Powerplant,
    Bridge,
    Production room,
    Analysis room,
    4 Sleeping quarters,
    Personal storage room,
    Cafeteria,
    Medical room,
    Rec. room,
    Storage room.

All that is left to do is:
    Survey Drone hangar,
    Survey small ship hangar,
    Small ship launch tube.
    Lighting.
    The old bridge exterior,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Wheel of Velocity mk.2:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The images do not communicate just how nauseating it is to watch it spin. Surprisingly you can land on the wheel by setting the landing gear to autolock and drifting down very slowly so that you lock before touching the surface. This appears to bring your ship up to speed instantly without damage. Touching the surface is ... bad. Ships initially placed on the surface sometimes have sparks fly from the landing gear.

The solid massive wheel has better inertia and stability, but takes a while to spin up and spin down even at max rotor torque. Adding 24 gyros to assist the rotor with override spin allows it to accelerate near instantly, but there is no braking assist. Don't think too hard about why the wheel edge is always at 104.4 m/s regardless of where exactly you park on the edge. The inner parts of the wheel have a lower tangential velocity, linear down to zero at the beacon.

EDIT: it seems that large ships, regardless if they are attached to a rotor, can only spin at 30 rpm maximum. The game won't let your tangential velocity exceed ~60 m/s if the radius of rotation is only 20 m. To reach the speed cap, you need a 34 m radius. As well, the maximum speed of ANY part of the ship appears to be capped at 104.4 m/s, so the game will never let long ships spin fast enough to exceed this. If you use pistons to alter your ship's length/radius, the game will violate the conservation of angular momentum to prevent you from exceeding 30 rpm or 104.4 m/s.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  10. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I will probably steal those for one of my long term projects. Here's a glimpse of it's first baby steps (though it's on ice atm):

11. Skeloton Master Engineer

Lol, I only added those lights so I could see clearly when I was re-making the welder. Which I decided to keep for the rest of the construction. Not been playing that world much, too busy trying to out do you with this Aeolus Class Survey Corvette.

Its almost done, all that's left is lights, a skin and some complimentary Ships/Drones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  12. Skeloton Master Engineer

Whoopie, I finally finished the Ascendant.

May I present the 1st (and only, going by my track record) Aeolus class Corvette. By no means pretty but I did my best lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior wise I think I did better. Starting with the bridge, I think its my best yet.
    [​IMG]

Storage is a bit meh, I never really know what to do other than bung some containers in it and hope it looks good.
    [​IMG]

Medbay, again bit underwhelming and simplistic.
    [​IMG]

This ship has two decks the lower one is much smaller.
    [​IMG]

Analysis room, made to look like its scanning incoming rocks and ores. This is supposed to be a survey ship after all.
    [​IMG]

Production room. Made the back wall look funky by using 3 refineries painted red with 2 dark grey assemblers, topped off with 4 light grey furnaces. All bathed in a red glow.
    [​IMG]

Drone hangar. Those little things rarely take up much space thus...don't get much :p
    [​IMG]

Cant have a ship without power. Theres enough space in the hull for a 2ndry powerplant as backup.
    [​IMG]

Then you got the crew quarters and stuff on the lower deck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then you got the main hangar on the lower deck at the very back.
    [​IMG]

That Large gate you can see (courtesy of Darth) leads to the Launch and Landing Prep Room.
    [​IMG]

The small ship on the left is sat on the departures platform which raises the ship into the launch tube. As you can see on the right the Arrivals platform is raised. Whats the launch tube, well I gave it a good viewing before but now its got its bells and whistles.
    [​IMG]

13. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

Dat bridge!!!!!!

14. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Thanks Captain Lackwit! And I agree wholeheartedly about the realism/safety aspects; I try to put airlocks on all vessels that are supposed to have pressurized interiors.

mhalpern, thank you for the advice; I'm going to go see how changing those things will improve the appearance.

Put together a shot of my new industrial/commercial vessels (which are now up on my shipyard thread, not that this is shameless self-promotion or anything. >.> )

[​IMG]

Edit: Formatting derp, and edited to full post because rackum frackum mouse keeps getting stuck in corner of screen -- *insert Tazmanian Devil Noises here*

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  15. atcrulesyou Trainee Engineer

Isn't that Yosemite Sam, not Taz?

16. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Code:
    red
            <ProjectileTrailScale>0.9</ProjectileTrailScale>
            <ProjectileTrailColor x="0.75" y="0.15" z="0.15" />
            <ProjectileTrailProbability>1.0</ProjectileTrailProbability>
    green
            <ProjectileTrailScale>0.9</ProjectileTrailScale>
            <ProjectileTrailColor x="0.2" y="0.73" z="0.24" />
            <ProjectileTrailProbability>1.0</ProjectileTrailProbability>

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The accuracy on the default assault rifle is horrible - the spray is so bad, there is no point in trying to use the iron sights.

17. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Getting a new design of gravity gun ready. This is a bit of a departure for me as it has no moving parts; it's all gravity operated. It's fairly compact, and I'm hoping that between this and the fact that the armor update allows smaller projectiles to do greater penetration, that cruisers can be made reasonably small.

[​IMG]

18. Vermillion Senior Engineer

Latest SS submission: Aftermath / Salvage

[​IMG]

19. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

That's an awesome screenshot. I love the way you used the conduits like that.

Gladius-class cruiser nearly ready for release, hopefully get it out tomorrow (no promises). Tests are pretty much done, all seems to be going well. The main gun is working great. Currently masses just shy of 16,000 tons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the first ship I'll be releasing that features mods, specifically Sage's Industrial Thrusters mod, because I really feel that it should be included in the game. However, the nice thing about those thrusters is that they can be replaced with stock ones if you so desire very easily.

20. Volthorne Apprentice Engineer

Two major milestones!

First: I should have posted this earlier, as it has been up on the workshop for a couple days now, but here it is: The Marauder-type Heavy Assault Craft!
    [​IMG]
    This craft marks the first of the HAC-designation, and hopefully many more will follow. It is designed to be the long-range equivalent of the Raider, able to engage in extended and/or distant battles thanks to a pair of high-capacity batteries and an ammo bin large enough to supply a wing of Raider LACs. It also sports a variety of weapons for all ranges and situations, from a large-caliber sniper cannon to quad gatling cannons and even an auto-loaded rocket pod for heavily-armored targets. Four top-of-the-line thrusters enable it to accelerate to top speed in roughly 3.76 seconds - impressive, considering it clocks in at 62 tonnes. The one failing point of this design is maneuverability and handling - it tends to "slide around" a lot simply due to how much mass it's throwing around, despite the best efforts to make it otherwise.

And the second announcement for today: I am pleased to present Starfall Industries!
    [​IMG]

Starfall Industries is dedicated to providing the right ship for the right job, with quality as the foremost of our design philosophies, guaranteed. On top of this, our specialization is in smaller ships, an area that tends to be neglected due to the difficulty of keeping a project from growing out of control - and we mean this literally as every extra feature added can mean a potentially huge increase in size.

As a part of this announcement, I will be revisiting the failed Aggressor and Starsplit designs and making the necessary changes to bring them up to par with the other designs and rebuilding them from scratch if necessary.

We look forwards to producing many more excellent designs for your viewing and flying pleasure, and any collaborations that may occur hereafter.

21. KissSh0t Master Engineer

How do the missiles not hit the cockpit?

22. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

I was wondering that myself, but other than that. It look amazing, definitely a very awesome image you've uploaded. Looking forward to trying it out.

23. Levits Senior Engineer

[​IMG]The EFA Fleet so far...
    [​IMG]From left to right: EFA Command Carrier, EFA Combat Destroy, EFA Scout Destroyer, EFA Fleet Supply Ship, EFA Fleet Support Frigate, EFA Light Assault Corvette, EFA Heavy Assault Corvette, and just to the right nearest the Frigate is the EFA Heavy Strike Fighter.

They are all 90% complete with the exception of the Carrier which still needs some major components and the Scout Destroyer which Swanicus is helping by constructing the interior. They are up on the workshop if anyone wants to take a look around. There will be more.

24. Volthorne Apprentice Engineer

Funny thing, that. As it turns out, the hitbox for the cockpit doesn't quite go all the way out to where it would intersect with the launcher's tubes. I'm chalking it up to the "5 collision boxes maximum per object" limitation the game engine has.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  25. KissSh0t Master Engineer

That would be a bug then..

If you can please report that in the bug section.

26. Volthorne Apprentice Engineer

Sure, I just need to test one more thing, to make sure it's not because the missiles are spawning far enough out to avoid triggering detonation.

Confirmed: Tested with sloped armor blocks placed as if the cockpit was there, rockets still fired through them up to a depth of 2 (at 3 blocks deep they exploded). I'm guessing this is working as intended to prevent launchers from blowing up upon launching a rocket under any circumstance other than being fully obstructed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  27. Skeloton Master Engineer

So I decided to make a Grannon ship and this is what I got so far.

[​IMG]

28. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

On the Survival PvP server i'm on (Factionwarfare), i'm building one of our big ship.

Its primarly a mobil station and carrier ship.

The Humble start a month ago.
    [​IMG]

What it is now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His little name is "the Vengfull Spirit"

29. Anoth Junior Engineer

Haven't posted something in a while so i thought i could share my new flagship for the roleplay thread here. It isn't on the workshop yet becouse my internet isn't stable right now and i wan't to avoid problems becouse of it.

This are the WIP Pictures of the B.R.S. Drachenherz. It shouls work in Survival but it eats A LOT of Uranium. It has to many small reactors in it imo but thats becouse of how i builded that ship. The backhalf of the ship was an modified version of my Destiny freelancer ship and that ship has to many small reactors^^.

[​IMG] As you can see i used the Turret Size mod so that i could armor those gatling turrets a little bit. The finished versions has some additional ones but you will see them later when i have Pictures of the complete ship.

[​IMG] I love it to put my thrusters in a form like that becouse it looks nice but it means that the ship is realy slow. All my ships that i build use now that sort of engine combination so they look as if they belong together.
    [​IMG] And as you can see the ship gets realy thin at some point but still it looks realy cool and i already put it together with the other ships for the fleet it will command and they look epic together but sadly my PC can't handle the other four ships in one world with this big boy so there will be no group pic sadly :/

What do you think of the ship so far? I will try to get some Pics of the complete ship later even if it will be a pain to take those... I have to build on Pitch Black maps without anything in it so that i can progress becouse this PC isn't very good. Maybe i get a new one around christmas.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  30. Spets Master Engineer

ARMADA ESPACIAL DIVISION BRAVO EN EL SECTOR CALDARI 01

Ready to f* you up if you dare to cross the perimeter you stupid pirate!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]