Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Show off your creations!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by David184, Oct 17, 2013.

1. KissSh0t Master Engineer

It looks like a Sun fish : >

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LordAlexkog Trainee Engineer

This is the P-38 Lighting XL. Originally inspired by the WW2 fighter but has evolved a lot from that starting point. I have seen some amazingly detailed small ships posted here. They have inspired me to try and build one myself. I am very happy with how it turned out. The only thing that bugs me is the way the landing gear bugs out. If anyone has a suggestion on how I could do anything on this fighter better I would appreciate it. The first show shows the cockpit canopy raised up. The second is fight mode. The 3ed shot you can see all the maintenance doors. The 4th is from in the closed cockpit. I added one more screen and that is the reactor maintenance door.

I wanted detail but never liked the idea of a fighter having wires and pipes on the outside so I created maintenance panels so you can see some more detail.

The workshop link to the world file: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=439629214

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Normally not really big on hugely modded stuff, but that cockpit wins you a danish.

4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Can you show your landing legs in a bit more detail? basically just the mechanism for how they work.

I was going to have a look at your ship on my pc but you have so many mods on your ship.

5. LordAlexkog Trainee Engineer

That is a world download so you do not have to find mods or anything. But yes I will get some more shots. Ok I loaded up some shots of the landing gear. I have it locked in place with the gear and a magpad. The gear seems to compress back into the piston. Then it will break off the ship.

6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

@LordAlexkog That was happening to me before, I would turn sharply and the piston would snap inside the ship.. I don't really use mod parts so I don't know how those landing legs act, And the vanilla pistons seem to have been changed recently so they don't snap anymore, at least that is the case for me.

You are using a mod piston?

ohh.. It looks like a knee joint.. I'm not sure perhaps someone else can give you some tips.

----

Did some more exploring today in my Prowler R-2.. found some interesting things... the last ship was very cool, although it had two piston doors and both had broken.....

It was a nice ship, so I grabbed it for myself, I stuck my ship on the belly and then flew it back to base.. :D

*edit*
    Did a little search on the workshop and found the creator of the Armed Transport "Charon" > http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=354929047

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I was going to build my ship with retractable landing legs in my survival world... but it says it doesn't support ships with more than one grid....

*sad face*

[​IMG]

8. Vaskadar Apprentice Engineer

Good! It's supposed to be. :D

One of the features I thought I'd give it (since other people preceding me have such awesome ideas), was a self-repairing weapon mount.

High volume of rockets get out very quickly. The main cockpit sits in the back of the cabin, and the other two act as spotters (and turret operators). I'll upload it once it's feature-complete and functions satisfactorily.

9. Tyriosh Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

The pilgrims curiosity made me want to use more grinded blocks (grinded or ground? 0.o), and I always wanted to make a full solar powered ship (which is hard cause of the low energy production :( , this is just about one and a half small reactors)

• Like Like x 2
  10. KissSh0t Master Engineer

@LordAlexkog

Here is how I did my landing legs... hopefully it gives you an idea.

When you do it like this you need to extend the pistons to attach the landing legs, once they are attached you can tuck them away.

This script is really cool!! Here is a link to the creators Steam Workshop page > http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403921671

Because I have my small ship connected to my carrier it is showing info from my carrier too :woot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  12. LordAlexkog Trainee Engineer

Thank you KissSh0t. That does look more stable. I am using a 1x1x1 piston mod so that is possibly part of the problem.

I had thought about doing something like that with my gear. I will have to try it.

As far as the Configurable LCD script goes I am using that. I really love that script. I have 4 LCDs in the cockpit using it as well as 2 on the bottom of the ship.

• Like Like x 1
  13. masterzh Trainee Engineer

After such image i have need to make ICARUS 2 from "Sunshine"(2007)

14. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

*drools*

Also, KissSh0t, you just blew my mind. I'd always been assuming that landing gear would collide if you tried to retract the upper "stalk" between two blocks; going to need to rethink their use!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brenner Junior Engineer

@KissSh0t: great work on that landing gear! I was able to reproduce it - I think the key part I was always missing was the "you need to extend the pistons to attach the landing legs" part. I think the game is overly restrictive when it comes down to putting stuff next to each other.

I'm still in the process of overhauling some of my older ships. Aside from a corvette that refuses to be made airtight (message to Keen: I would really,really, really appreciate a tool that allows finding oxygen leaks), I have worked on my old modular fighters.
    Two of them I was able to update while keeping most of the original look intact, but one of them I hated so much I decided to build a completly new one, with about the same tonnage.
    Here is old one and it planned replacement (WIP):

[​IMG]
    The old one was built before fighter cockpits.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

if you think that's cool, just wait till you see what you can do with a turret on the end of a piston!

17. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Screenshot like now (^་།^)

18. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

ok. I'll just leave this here. ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  19. CruentaUltio Apprentice Engineer

How?! Have you placed it on an advanced rotor?

20. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Why a rotor when you can use a piston like he said to do.
    That way you can even hide the turret.

21. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

extend piston, place turret, retract piston. use blast doors or ramps because turret base is full size.

22. KissSh0t Master Engineer

That is cool... makes it less of a target/

23. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Howdy!
    I built a Gravity Railgun Turret earlier today and i thought I might share it!
    Kinda pic heavy, sorry! :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My painted version!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Almost ready for release :D
    Hope y'all like!

• Like Like x 2
  24. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Try firing gravel instead of stones : >

25. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Gravel you say? :p

26. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Yeah.. it does more damage from what I have seen :D

@LordAlexkog

I finally tried your ship out..... i....i.......I broke it... Please forgive me (◉⌓◉)

I see what you mean now those landing legs and the cockpit go spastic when you start moving... it's crazy.

With that said, it is such a nice looking ship.. I love how the cockpit has a voice : D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  27. LordAlexkog Trainee Engineer

yeah It is for show atm. I love the look of the gear folding out but I am going to make a version with gear like you showed us. This was my first build with lots of mods. Of the mods I checked out I think I like the hinge, the small piston, medical for a small ship and the industrial thruster the best. Thanks for checking it out.

28. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I like the idea of P-38 for inspiration, but I don't see it there. :/

29. LordAlexkog Trainee Engineer

lol yeah I started off with that inspiration but ended up evolving past it. I kept the name. I was going for 2 fuselage with the cockpit pod in the middle and all the guns in the nose. Ended up adding more engines behind the cockpit for more power.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  30. PeterHammerman Junior Engineer