Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Siege engines

Discussion in 'General' started by BAPBAP, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Exactly, however I think that cannons would be a case of bigger=better instead of the engineering marvels that come from building trebuchets of catapults. Player build weapons would just mean that battles will be more versitile and players can be amazed by the awesome siege machine that their opponent build instead of the size of their cannon...
    Traversing unknown lands whilst building your weapon (advanced sling mechanisms, gear systems, building up tension) is also more fun than just trying different sizes of barrels and fiddling with different amounts of gunpowder IMO.

However, exploding barrels filled with gunpowder should still be present, because explosions, fun and explosions

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  2. War.Freak Trainee Engineer

/\
    |
    | I also agree with that

Well, i think cannons breaks the immersion because IMO they are not part of medieval so i don't feel like i'm in the medieval time zone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  3. Dr. Krunch Apprentice Engineer

I like the idea of barrels of gunpowder (for traps, offense, etc.), and this still adds to the possibilities for player-made creations. On cannons, I have to agree Martinineter, it just becomes a contest of who has the best setup to produce cannons.

4. Clyde A Glide Trainee Engineer

I wouldn't have a problem with cannons, but having them backfire (explode, etc) would make them hilarious

5. Chrono13 Apprentice Engineer

Speaking of traps... we could push for a way to make spike pits, and a "block" to cover them with that breaks under the pressure of a footfall.

6. cedi Apprentice Engineer

A true engineer doesn't need such trick blocks. You already have a rotor and planks which is all you need to build a trap door. Although once they make structural integrity consider the weight of moving objects it would be cool if they also check for the amount of damage the support beam has taken. Because then you could build breaking floor panels by damaging the support beam below them.

7. Chrono13 Apprentice Engineer

Ah a "True Engineer" fallacy, classy. Traps have always been a part of Castle defenses. These "not true engineer" tactics clam thousands of lives. Discrediting a tactic in war based on some "purist" principle is foolish, and has been the end of more then a few power bases. Sure there are limits on what you want to do if you base them in morality or honor, but your opponent may not see it that way.

But I digress, the point is for the trap to be hidden, that's part of what makes it a trap. A trapdoor that must be manually triggered by a user onto the victim (rather then the victim being the triggering factor) is simply bad tactics. You have to take people off the walls to man these elaborate traps, I think you can see why that's all unwise.

That being said... if you made some big wooden fllorings that pulled away into the walls of your castle, forcing the invading force into a pit of spikes... Yes I do commend you on your creativity, and even the deviousness of this device. But I also think it's a bit impractical. Clever, but impractical. I'd love to see it if you build it.

8. Dragon0G Junior Engineer

Give people time after the Early Access is released, then we'll see if "'purist'" methods aren't as effective as fancy blocks. :p

9. cyrv Trainee Engineer

i think you missed his point. Ofc traps are part of a good castle defense but I think his point is, and i fully agree to that, that there shouldnt be too much different, specialized mechanic blocks. instead there should be just basic components, in this expample rotors and axis that helps you to come up with your own design of a hinge you can use for a trapdoor - instead of having some sort of already finished trapdoorblock, that does most of your engineering work. I guess that was what he meant, when he talks about "true engineering"

10. 0z1k Apprentice Engineer

I was actually planning on trying to make a catapult launching catapult. ;)

11. cyrv Trainee Engineer

so it has twice the range of a normal catapult?

i am also looking forward to test some "melee" siege-machines. some sort of a big hammer and the good old battering ram

edit; oh and of cause I will try to create some sort of reactive armor for my walls. like flexible parts that swing to side and deflect some damage if hit by a rock or hammer or something.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  12. Chrono13 Apprentice Engineer

I can imagine a battering ram that is mounted on a piston that is run with a hand crank. War Rams are very cool ^_^

13. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Ah, but it involves a piston, so it will detonate every time you try to move it.

14. synthoffer Trainee Engineer

I really dislike the idea of gunpowder and cannons. As it has been mentioned earlier by several people, this would break immersion from the medieval feeling we all have been subjected to during our gaming years - even though history states that it was possible in the 13th Century. Cannons belong in games depicting renaissance or pirates or whatever.
    The cannon introduced the downfall of Castles and forts... now what are we building in medieval engineers? I dont know, just Castles and forts (and ofc stuff to enter them). The cannon would, for me, completely destroy the personal need to build an Epic castle, since some players could just roll them Close enough to tear it down in a matter of minutes.
    The feeling that pre-Canon/gunpowder siege Engines provide us as creators are Amazing, attaching ropes, calculating counter-weights, testing elasticity and so forth, and then making the contraption being able to hit a target 500 metres away - thats the feeling im after. If i wanted gunpowder i would play any other shooter out there, i dont want that here. I want to be as far away from rifles and cannons as possible. Then again, a proper Bowman would be able to take out any cannonoperator, at a greater distance than thats firing range, Before it even got time to shoot. Technical prowess most oftenly does not mean its better than an art that's been developed for thousands of years (bowmanship). A early dark age only experience would've been awesome, havent seen many games (if any) depicting that in a way like this could.
    Not stating facts, just my personal thoughts and wants!
    With that said,
    Am I the only one wanting to build a mangonel that throws flaming human faeces?
    Cheers, seriously psyched about this game.

15. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Remember though, canons were horribly inaccurate, gunpowder was hard to produce, and all weapons using it took a long time to reload.

Anyway, what most people want is the ability to make barrels of gunpowder that can be set alight and used for demolition purposes.

16. War.Freak Trainee Engineer

There now is a gunpowder cannon thread.

17. djw11544 Trainee Engineer

Personally, I would absolutely hate having cannons. I do, however, amuse the thought of flinging barrels filled with gunpowder at castles, but comes the problem of balancing and preventing people from stacking barrels next to a wall then setting them off. All in all though, I just don't really want to see gunpowder in the game, I would like to see different types of chemistry and such.

18. Steelpanther Apprentice Engineer

Barrels thrown from engines would do crap to stone walls. It would do personal damage and cause fires.

The stone would just redirect the explosion else ware if it isn't contained.

19. Chrono13 Apprentice Engineer

BURNING OIL!!!!!!! We need FIRE! Flame loads are soooo awesome and even oil pots!

20. LcsFletcher Trainee Engineer

Imaging using these to siege someones castle. If I was a dude on the wall and I saw these rolling up I would just mozy my way into the escape tunnel.

21. RayvenQ Moderator

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v-4Ug0IgVo

22. Clyde A Glide Trainee Engineer

What about something like a clay pigeon thrower?

23. BB.JoeNado Trainee Engineer

You guys are getting this all wrong. Why launch stuff (rocks, explosives, towers, Etc.) at the castle when you can just launch the castle at the ground. duh

24. Chrono13 Apprentice Engineer

Your right BB, WE NEED SIEGE HOOKS! Pull the wall to the ground, not the other way around!

25. Roebuck17 Trainee Engineer

I think the best way to take a castle is an angry mob with pitchforks and syths

26. Chrono13 Apprentice Engineer

No, that's the best way to dispose of an angry mob.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.