Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

silly question, but colours?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by jokamo, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. jokamo Trainee Engineer

so just after seeing the announcement trailer, i can safely say i am super excited for the early access of this game! but when seeing the colored objects, they all seemed rather block y, like the was only one shade of red, blue, green etc available. in the beta or release, will we be able to choose the shade of color that we want the blocks to be? say, if somebody wanted to have a darker blue ship, and someone wanted a lighter grey, would they be able to do it? i think having a block color selection system would be very cool and would allow players to create something as close to what's in their imagination as possible! :) thanks for reading!

2. Busterguy Trainee Engineer

I would not like a full colour spectrum. As people would fly around in bright pink ships.
    But it would be cool to have more, even textures/patterns. It's hard to tell what's going to be in the game from the trailer. So I'd just wait :D

3. marek_rosa Developer Staff

Right now we have 7 distinct colors (white, grey, black, green, red, yellow, blue) and the thing is, I like it this way. It's so simple. I am not sure if we will introduce more colors - right now we are actually limited by memory, even these 7 color variations consume a lot of texture memory so without some sort of "texture masking" we can't even think of more colors.

4. marek_rosa Developer Staff

Actually, it would be easy to "mod" our textures and paint your own.

5. Busterguy Trainee Engineer

Bring out the minecraft texture packs ;)

6. Busterguy Trainee Engineer

On the modding note. Will you make it easy for users to mod the game?
    Eg add in our own custom tools/items?

Maybe not in the early stages but it would be nice in the future.

7. TheBird956 Trainee Engineer

If we are able to make mods, Ill be one of the first to make one. Publishing/finishing it is another story :p

8. Teod Trainee Engineer

I like that you want to keep things simple, but you still should add at least cyan and pink/purple for full spectrum:
    [​IMG]

9. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

So why not use masking / shader instead of having a texture set per color? (Assuming it isn't just a time constraint)

10. 3trip Apprentice Engineer

I'd go with this, 6 colors plus 3 monochrome, though if you dropped it to 2 monochrome, you'd have a nice 8 to choose from.

11. shangiskhan Trainee Engineer

I kinda like the idea of a simplistic color palette. Color based teams would also make combat/competition more black and white. Pardon the pun.

12. TechyBen Junior Engineer

Thanks for the update and info. I realize that sometime masking/shader changes may not give the same effect as an actual change in the texture does, so understand if you make a tradeoff or choose one over the other. Especially if you will allow customer textures (so we can have any colour anyhow). I also don't see how it would be much of an "exploit" to allow custom textures, as visibility does not seem to be a key to winning any battle right now. :)

13. DarthJordan Trainee Engineer

I would really like to be able to paint our own logos on ships and what not. You could make a fleet of ships that have your logo on them. Maybe even something like faction logos/flags.

14. shangiskhan Trainee Engineer

I was thinking of this as well, more for ship names though. I'd love to have my ships name gleaming on the side but not in 2.5m pixels

15. Robbie Trainee Engineer

• User was warned for this post! Reason: Massive bump
    I know this is an 2 year old post but it seems like the right comment to reply on.
    You talk about colour taking up allot of memory, could u give my thread a look and see if this is something u guys could implement or let it be modded by the community.
    http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/block-color-tool-multi-face-block-coloring-option.7361977/

16. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Seriously dude?

17. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

Colors don't even work this way anymore. Why use this thread @Robbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.