Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Simple, Solid Server - Planets

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MrDoctorDIV, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MrDoctorDIV Apprentice Engineer

!!THIS SERVER WILL SOON BE GOING DOWN FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD!!

My dedicated server has been running for a good three months now. I can't say anything about mass play since there's not usually been more than five at a time, but there was zero issue in those situations. I can say, however, that I've gotten nothing but praise from friends and other randoms about server performance. Just for fun, I tried loading into different servers and was almost taken aback. I'm no longer afraid to say I have a good server. It's far better than average.
    I just wanted to get the word out there since I've seen posts here and there about servers crashing a lot, being laggy as hell, etc. I've got a good one, come play. Don't trash this golden egg, por favor, otherwise, you're welcome to join.

You're welcome to make mod requests, but you can assume I'll say no. It's largely why my server runs well and loads wicked fast.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Asurada11 Trainee Engineer

How to join? I really wanna try some server play if my internet do actually manage to have a low ping...So...that means i will have to try

3. MrDoctorDIV Apprentice Engineer

You could've found it through the link, but for your convenience:
    servers.mrdoctordiv.org:27015

If you don't know how to use Steam's Server tool, right click on your Steam icon in the tray and click on servers. Go to the favorites tab at the top. Click on "Add a Server" on the bottom right. Copy/paste the above address into the field and hit "Add This Address to Favorites."
    Now when you load up the game it should appear under favorites.

4. Sflot Trainee Engineer

I've been looking for a bare mod-less server with actual population for a while. Can't wait to try a decent server for once.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jorroo Trainee Engineer

Can you please post your settings, and if you have changed anything like user defined planets etc and what you do maintenance wise do to keep it running ... cause at this time i must confess I dont think 3months is possible? 1week yes on a newly created server maybe...
    Also the specs of your host , or do you host at home etc?.. .things like priority, memory etc etc

6. Sflot Trainee Engineer

Update that b*tch.

7. MrDoctorDIV Apprentice Engineer

;c so much disbelief. I will dispel that with: there aren't a whole lot of people [yet] as I don't really do a lot of advertising. I've got maybe 3-5 regulars right now. I can't count the number of people that join for two minutes never to return again. Like, if you stay, more two-minuters will come around.. there've been at least 50 so far.

I host it at home on my self-built PC and Gigabit fiber optic internet.
    i5 - 4670k - OC'd at 4.1Ghz [4core] on liquid cooling
    Corsair RAM - 16GB
    Samsung Pro SSD - 512GB [everything is on here]
    Not sure what you mean by priority, but it's given more resources than any host can provide, hands down. It's just how economy of scale works.
    Network is over Gigabit, like I said, and connected via AC WiFi. I use ASUS modem/router and PC adapter that screams at 1-2ms. My roommate is connect via ethernet cord to the same router and gets over 15ms every test. Your computer/equipment honestly and truly make a difference.

I did maintenance for the first month, but I eventually got bored of it. A patch came out that properly got rid of backpacks [the biggest problem] and with object count at 100 I've gone about two months without any cleanup of any kind. I don't know what's gone on in my server because I leave everyone to their business. No need to intervene [aka, cheat and know where all the military is at]. I've only ever reset it when it crashes, which has been entirely due to bugs so far, most notably the mining bug that's hit or miss each week. Full disclosure, this week is a hit, I haven't mined for a few days but others haven't seemed to have caused it yet.
    I had my server up for about a month before I registered on space-engineers.com [mine here]. So three months is a pretty good guestimate. I've had it up for a week at a time [once] without any crashes, patch to patch.

Edit, just tried it out, mining bug seems to have gone into hibernation [you know how bugs are].

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  8. Lithorn Trainee Engineer

Tried this to see the sever sim, was a 1 out of the box. Nice. Problem is, with that speed mod installed, your lander is unable to safely slow down unless you happen to be over a deeper pocket of earth. Landing over top of a mountain = death. Crashed my game trying to slow down from 250, crashed at 150.

With respawn timers being 1 hour apart, its either get super lucky or give up.

9. Xellon Trainee Engineer

Well, I just hopped in for a try, server-side, everything worked very well. Loaded quickly, descended on Planet, mined some rocks, all good.
    Will play longer tomorrow, it's too late now, but from what I've seen, that's a really good Server!

10. Asurada11 Trainee Engineer

:(Is it possible to make respawn ships to respawn outside of the gravity well? Wanna stay away from planets because it MURDERED my two precious rovers

Edit, and can u add in asteroids as well?That way players can actually start to grow stronger instead of not being able to do anything on the planet (p.s. thats me ;))

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  11. MrDoctorDIV Apprentice Engineer

I'll lower the respawn ship timer, I hadn't originally checked how long the timers were [I only needed to spawn once, guess I was lucky].
    I only did preliminary research but I couldn't find anything on getting ships to spawn away from planet and I personally like the idea of progression anyways.

12. Xellon Trainee Engineer

As of 23.02., 19:25CET I am unable to join the Server. It either says "Server Host left the Game" or just tries to "Join World" indefenitely. Might be Steam-related, but connections otherwise seem fine.

13. MrDoctorDIV Apprentice Engineer

I get emails for PM's [which I see on my phone] so when I'm not on the server myself it'll be faster that way. Thanks for letting me know, seems to be an issue but I'm working on it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  14. Asurada11 Trainee Engineer

Its actually not tat bad, sometimes it does drop but after restart its usually fine at around 0.8 or so

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  15. SMW Trainee Engineer

I'm on my dedicated server, have to use my wireless network since lan/patch cable connections seems to randomly have a lost connection issue, ironically. MS seems to be around 0.1 ms or less, wait 3-5 ms, update 9-12 or 500-600 ms, data 6kb/s.

The update ms jumping between either 10 or 500 ms seems to add a few looting bugs and block placement bugs, even when my inventory is empty it says im 8,000+kg and 1,200+L, and I'm just suddenly dead sometimes from rubber banding collisions. I've also noticed sometimes my max speeds are limited to either 45m/s or 25m/s depending on server sim speed even though game speed is 1.0.

4770K at 4.5GHz, priority set above normal, affinity set to CPU 2/3, which runs alternatingly at 100/0% or 0/100% on usage, SE only uses 1 CPU for now (multithreading will would be nice), about 4-5 GB ram usage, no major issues except lots of delivery false notes in the terminal window log and long queue times for accessing cargo containers sometimes when in survival, but game play speed stays pretty consistent at 1.0 though server speed jumps from 1.0 to .2, even with constant npc pirate attacks, haven't added in environmental hostility yet, last time my base was rubble in an hour on normal hostility, constant meteor storms every minute or two, could't keep up in survival mode. I also have ship respawn timer at 2.0, but the sky is full of NPC pirate fleets. Basically vanilla setup for now, maybe testing a couple mods at a time, but most seem broken or have issues for the moment. FPS 30 UPS 60, no performance issues other than 1/8 CPU pegged at 100%.

I do find it funny you have to go find the starting base, since SE DS puts you in the middle of now where, not remotely close to the starting base, and sometimes it gives you the option to start in a ship, but mostly it spawns me in the middle of the mountains with just a suit and that's the only option.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  16. MrDoctorDIV Apprentice Engineer

You check ping with Ctrl+H. Steam Servers rates 2-7ms, in game most of the time solid 16ms, sometimes it'll go 25-40ms if there are a good number of players.

17. SMW Trainee Engineer

I have trash removal active, ship spawn and cargo ships off but the existing cargo ships and AI pirate drones have accumulated in the world to a ridiculous level, likely what's causing the issues.

Both systems are on a 300Mb/wireless network, full bars, more stable than cabled Gb direct patch or switch router, games rates are in the Kb anyway, don't need 125MB/s or higher speeds.

I think the latency or queue stack issues should not exist if they ever implement multithreading or at least let the game use a full CPU core, in some ways an i5 probably gets better performance than an i7 for now.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  18. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

A short review from random guy looking for a home.
    Joined your server last night after a hour of trying, had to delete all my mods downloaded and worked like a charm after that. The server seemed to run quite well from what I saw, had some issues with a hand drill but crouching fixed that. It seemed server was at sim speed .6 but Ive not been in world long enough to know the average.
    My internet connection is a 3g celluer modem as I live slightly outside austin. Work in a building that has a OC3 line going though it, in a town where google trucks drive around advertising fiber optic, and we dont have cable line or even dsl avil on my road(may be bitter).
    Anyway with my horrable internet this server seems to run just fine with a near perfect ping. Once connected I had no real issues aside from voxel changes delays.
    There were 5 other people on when I joined 3 others when I left. No one responded in chat so who knows.
    Was not hunted down and shot dead in the frist hour on server so +1.
    I look forward to returning tonight. My base might even still be there.

19. MrDoctorDIV Apprentice Engineer

There seems to be a group of people who don't talk.. at all, even to me. Hah. Glad you liked it, be sure to name your grids, as I will soon be active in cleaning, and grid names will be my main identifier when I am unsure.

20. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Div Im trying to recreate a bug in SP for bug submission. The earth like planet, is it modded in anyway or is the planet just a vannila spawned world?
    It would seem if a area is not large enough inside a voxel, where a ship will fit but not that much wiggle room, when the area gets loaded it tends to crush ships inside it, but only some types of blocks.

21. MrDoctorDIV Apprentice Engineer

It's vanilla. It's also well known [or should be] that leaving anything but a station touching/near touching voxels is a bad idea.

22. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

I may just need to make my cave larger and have a buffer space between rocks and walls.
    Also the un-named station grid that belongs to me was my frist landing. It has no power left, and I dont have a marker for it, feel free to let the cleaner take it.

23. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

You have crushed my heart. Had some good times here, frist muiltyplayer server ever been on since planets. Shout out when you come back.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.