Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Simspeed Fluctuations - and I only play single player...

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by sonicthe, Feb 2, 2018.

1. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

After looking through the forums for this issue, I noticed a couple threads about low simspeed on dedicated servers, but couldn't find anything about single players having the problem. Since I'm not connected to a server (other than myself, I guess...), it doesn't seem likely to be a syncing issue. One person reported a simspeed drop back on version 0.3.something and got an answer about the UPS dropping causing the slow-down, but there were no suggestions for things to try to fix it.

My simspeed is cycling between 1.00 and as low as 0.08 (although usually the lowest is in the 0.20 to 0.30 range) about every 15-20 seconds. That is, it will be 1.00 for 15-20 seconds, then drop down to 0.25 for 15-20 seconds, then jump back up to 1.00 for 15-20 seconds, then drop to 0.60 for 15-20 seconds, then back up, and back down, and so on. This cycling doesn't seem to be related to anything I'm doing, nor does it seem to be related to any mods I have running, since I've disabled them and restarted them and had the issue regardless. Here are the pastebin links to my log files.

MedievalEngineers.log

VRageRender.log

I have set my graphics options to give me 12-15 fps, and there is no change in that as simspeed changes. I just suddenly stop running as fast as I had been, then speed up, then slow down, etc. It also makes it hard to build (or deconstruct) anything because I'll swing the hammer a couple of times quickly, then really slow, then quickly, etc.

On a perhaps related note, it takes a much longer time for textures to load now than it did before 0.6.1. I have to wait several minutes for even the icons in my toolbar to show up after the loading screen finishes and I can start moving around. Part of that may be that I'm playing on a system that is just above the minimum specs, and I don't have any SSDs.

2. CptTwinkie ME Asst. Producer Staff

We'll probably need a copy of your world to see if anything is going on there.

I notice you also have a lot of mods. Maybe try making a copy of the world and remove the mods to see what that does to the sim speed.

3. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

I tried loading with no mods enabled at all, and still had the same simspeed fluctuations. For the test, all I did was run in a circle around my claimed area. Which file do you need for your testing? And do you want both the world with all the mods enabled and the one without, or just one or the other?

Thanks for the help, and keep up the great work on all the other stuff that's going on in Medieval Engineers!!

4. I23I7 Tester Staff

Just upload the world to the workshop. You can do this in the LOAD GAME part of the menu. Set it to private so no other users can see it except us and share the link here or send it to us by PM :)

5. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

6. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

Something I noticed tonight while playing, when I'm transferring something between inventory and a crate or other visual inventory storage (in either direction), the fluctuation seems to be to a lower value, and usually doesn't come all the way back up to 1.00. The numbers I saw tonight were .25 on the low (slow) end and .75 on the high (fast) end. Once I closed the inventories, simspeed rose back up to 1.00, and fluctuated between about 0.35 and 1.00 when I wasn't in any kind of inventory screen.

7. I23I7 Tester Staff

Hey,

The sim speed drop happens on item transfer you are correct. I reported for fixing so once it gets done we can try again with mods.

8. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

Thank you very much! I'm glad it isn't just me, then. :)

9. I23I7 Tester Staff

No problem.

10. Silvrav Trainee Engineer

Also check your CPU state, that its set to max use....sim speed drop/lag can also be caused by the CPU constantly changing its core speeds depending on demand

11. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

12. Silvrav Trainee Engineer

@sonicthe i assume you run win10, but its more or less the same from win7.

Right click on desktop
    click display settings
    click power & sleep (or power management/options in prev versions on win)
    click additional power settings
    on selected plan click change plan settings
    click change advanced power settings
    look for process power management and click on the + to expand
    click on + to expand minimum processors state. set this to 100
    click on + to expand maximum processors state and confirm its on a 100. if not set to 100

Click ok/apply/save till you out of all the windows.

Note this will set your CPU at max levels all the time. today CPU's dont use that much more power but your power usage will increase.

for gaming though its a must

13. I23I7 Tester Staff

True but i had the same issue as him so i do not think it would be CPU related but it would not hurt to check.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

Checked my settings, and they were all set to 100% already. Hmmm...

15. Silvrav Trainee Engineer

Then it rules that out :)

as @I23I7 confirmed though it is a know issue

16. I23I7 Tester Staff

Yep

17. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

Something I noticed tonight, not sure if it's related. I get the dip in simspeed at about the same hunger "spot", and then a couple numbers later, I get a drastic framerate drop (from 13 to 3 fps). For example, I'll get a simspeed dip from 96 to 95, and a framerate drop from 94 to 92. Then again, from 86 to 85 and 84 to 82. Then from 76 to 75 and 74 to 72. And so on. I even tried not moving, just looking at a wall with a couple of torch stands burning to see if maybe it was related to what I was doing, but had exactly the same symptoms. A simspeed dip followed by a framerate drop and rebound. It isn't exactly every ten, it's a little more than that, but not much. (By the 30's it's down to 35 to 34 and 33 to 31, simspeed dip and framerate drop.)

I originally assumed the framerate issue was due to my hardware, but others have reported it on the Steam discussion forums. That, combined with what I saw tonight, however, makes me doubt it's just my hardware. The 11 to 13 fps range is what I have been getting since I started playing ME, by the way. It also seems to be unaffected by my graphics settings, unless I turn everything all the way up. And I'm getting 45 fps or better on the opening "movie" scenes, so I know my hardware is good enough to play the game.

I hope these extra symptoms will help you figure out where my issue might be. I really enjoy this game and am frustrated by the framerate problem much more than the simspeed issue. Keep up the great work!!

18. I23I7 Tester Staff

The stats system will be changed but thanks for pointing it out ill see if i can get it to reproduce on my end and make a report out of it.

Keep it up !