Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

simulation speed bottlenecking

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Tamagotchii, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

I have read that havoc physics engine is not necessarily the issue when it come to space engineers but rather the game is fully dependent on your systems specs.

basically what I see is that the game can handle what you throw at it but the system its played on needs to scale with what your trying to do.

it is also my understanding that SE can only initialize 4 threads so the other 4 cores are not being utilized please correct me if wrong.

my specs are
    Space Engineers Retail 64-bit
    Win10 via SSD
    Intel I7-7700 8 core 8 threads 3.60Ghz
    16GB ddr4
    Nvidia 1080 4GB
    250GB SSD where SE is installed

in game (Shift+f11)
    fps:40
    ups:26
    sim speed 0.43
    CPU load 98%
    GPU load 43%

Windows resource monitor
    CPU 53%
    memory 46%
    disk usage very minimal.

I do understand that I am rendering a ton of physical objects at this point where does the bottleneck come from my system or the game code?

Do I need to upgrade something?

2. Malware Master Engineer

There's still stuff they can optimize generally. From how I understand the multiplayer test branch already has better performance than is out in public today. However, as you say, the game will always - in the end - be dependent on hardware, and more on the CPU side than the GPU side - since it has to simulate the function of all grids too, not just the physics. They've been rather adamant that they want a fully alive world, and given the existence of scripts etc. it's hard to just "switch off" the operation of grids that's outside your view, so they always run.

There will always be a logical limit to how large you can make your world. I really wish we had a way to "jump" to different worlds of the same configuration... that would be a way to work around this problem.

Interestingly, they already made their save system with the consideration of "sectors", if the names are to be believed... I wish they'd continued down that route. That would allow us to have larger worlds without needing everything loaded. Of course... that would work against their wish to have a living world that continues processing while you're gone...

3. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

You have very little room to upgrade your hardware, and even if you did I doubt it would help.

I'm no expert, but the way I see it is that there are just real world limits to what is possible in this type of game. Unfortunately these limits are not clearly discussed and are far too easy to exceed by the typical user. Did you uncheck 'use recommended block limits'? Yeah, you did. We all do.

In my experience, the person that is having performance problems and doesn't 'seem' to know why, should, because they're doing something along the lines of:

Running 100+ mods requiring 1+Gb of memory. Resulting in a game world that you click 'load' for and go make breakfast while you wait.
    making life sized detailed replicas of the Death Star because reasons
    Not running clean ups

It should be obvious that the specific numbers/limits are different for everyone, but your issue is almost certainly a variation of what I've listed. If it isn't, post a bug report with a link to your world/savegame on steam.

There is def room for improvement in the software, but until the game is considered released your issues would be better solved by cleaning up your stuff and reducing your expectations of what you think you can do with SE.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  4. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

here is a video of some major breakdown exploding physics with in 3 minutes of starting a new game. clang included

5. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

You drop an aircraft carrier suspended a foot above the ground and all hell will break loose. This isn't a problem with the game.

Once the fall completes and the damage is calculated the sim goes back to 1.0

This is why cleanups are important.

6. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

the cube that was dropped and came to a rest on the ground. the addition exploded and also fell through the voxel mapping

7. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

This is a separate issue from the original post. Make a bug report on it if you think it warrants it.

It used to be that the entire grid sunk through the ground and fell to the planet center. Now you just see odd behaviour while it figures out what actually happened. You'll notice the grid appeared fully above the ground once it settled. The damage and Sim drop?: reasonable for what was done.