Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version [Extra] --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[since 01.165 or earlier] periodic CPU saturation when SE not having focus

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Roxette, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Roxette

My earlier report (unanswered) http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/01...ttent-cpu-saturation-when-not-active.7390058/

Another recent report http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/when-not-in-game-my-pc-tends-to-stall-out-quite-a-bit.7392786/

Having done some more research today I have more data and STR.

Configure game display settings to window mode. Connect to an internet MP server with a world *with procedural asteroids*. Bring ship to a halt outside of planet gravity. Switch focus to another application leaving SE running in an on-screen window. Observe CPU activity in task manager. Almost immediately, and periodically (10-30 seconds, frequency not confirmed to be fixed) the game will saturate the CPU, causing loss of control of any other applications. Any activity on other applications will be delayed until SE releases the CPU. The asteroids do not need to be within sight (on screen) from the player POV.

In case it's relevant, my system info:
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ; i7-3820 CPU @ 3.6GHz ; 16GB RAM ; SSD

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roxette

Bumping this thread, because posting bug reports on a Friday is worthless as the forums are read top-down and so many bug reports are posted over the weekend from the previous Thursday's newly added bugs that the ones posted early are never actually seen. Must remember to save bug reports and post on Monday mornings instead...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. elowan

I've also experienced this bug since (at least) DEV 1.165. To be clear, the periodic total system "pauses" occur ONLY when alt-tabbed out of SE. I have no trouble with freezes OR "pauses" within SE. It happens to me in Creative/Survival SP games, as well. For a while, I thought private games were immune, but I've just double checked, and it does still seem to happen -- strange 2-5 second pauses, but again ONLY when alt-tabbed out of SE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Renegrade

I get this too; it's rather odd as an application shouldn't be able to do that in a modern operating system, especially for a NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS process like Space Engineers. Heck, only the REALTIME class is supposed to have absolute preemption...

5. Distman

6. Azirahael

I get this. But i also get it when it's front and center sometimes.

7. striker_lord

@Roxette , good observation on the trend for the posting peak time :).
    I try to read as many as possible, at least i skim all the titles 4 pages through and comment on the ones I find interessting and where i think i can help reproduce for more information.

I will try and see if i can reproduce this one, i'll also post my client specs then, tbc!