Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Skywanderers

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by chrisb, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. chrisb Senior Engineer

One I will back when KS gets going. I hope this does well.

YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCITNnomMkqQv1aNi_8dxVBQ/featured
    He is on twitch, but I can't get it to link. Go from here:

Fingers crossed.

Clearer for some people, try this YT. He has a very early copy and is playing the game. Not sure if he is linked to the project or not, but the vids that I've watched so far are good.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoHXn1vK7zisUMflXzOPzHLQlFp914ouy

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. chrisb Senior Engineer

Kickstarter 29th August

Another:

Could be my alternative to SE.

3. chrisb Senior Engineer

The KS starts today. This game aims at being everything many of us want in a voxel building game. He uses the example for his game as minecraft and Elite, which sounds very good to me indeed. A whole universe with a stable foundation is exactly what I, and many of us, are looking for.

I will post the KS link once I have it, or if someone else gets it first please link it. I will be backing as soon as I have the link. Its a game he already has playable and wants to go to early access for community feedback as soon as he can. Testing as we all know is of the upmost importance, plus he wants and is eager (it sounds), to get ideas and help.

The dev is a single dev, I believe, and has worked on the game more or less full time for the past year or so. I can see that a project like this needs income and he needs to know he has a wage to continue, although I think he would probably continue anyway. But lets help him along the way and get a voxel game that has a vast universe that is 'stable'....

--- Automerge ---
    Its started. The Kickstarter for Skywanderers and boy am I pleased to back this game.. :)

--- Automerge ---
    Funded.. Now the push for more content. :)

4. chrisb Senior Engineer

Some of the functions inside the cockpit in Skywanderers, that players can custom make etc. Anything is possible to build and most have functions that work from inside the ship. Retractable gear, ladders, rotary stuff its all in the game already and working.. Stable.
    Looking forward to this game. It doesn't have the gritty look SE does, its a little more toy like. That said its the players that make the ships look gritty or toy like, so expecting the game to look like allsorts of different styles.

5. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Moust of this functions you did mentioned like:( retractable gear, ladders, rotary stuff, etc... ) - They dont have colisions and hitboxes yet, same like you can see on videos you did send above, ( one ship ram other ship and both are fine... ). Moment they start give it in game, they will meet the same/similar problems like SE, but with 44K €? ( i wish game good luck )

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. chrisb Senior Engineer

They tend not to merge threads here, just plonk them anywhere.. :munch:
    --- Automerge ---
    Showing detail in smaller ship/shuttle type craft.

7. chrisb Senior Engineer

Great FanMade trailer.

8. chrisb Senior Engineer

Campaign finished. 15,000 euro goal, just under 44,000 euros pledged. Looking forward to the future of this game.

9. chrisb Senior Engineer

Paypal if players prefer.

--- Automerge ---
    LastStandGamer doing a few videos, which is nice to see. This one shows off some features that already exist in-game.

10. chrisb Senior Engineer

Just a tip of the iceberg of SkyWanderers.
    I'm really enjoying the very early access (pre-alpha). :)

All the things shown are customisable. Rotors etc. Whichever way you want them to work.

No flight model yet really. So just a basic to get around for now.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  11. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I really like the look of that ring world in your video "skywanderers: A little bit."
    Hopefully one day it might be possible SE to have/support unusual worlds like that

12. chrisb Senior Engineer

Yeah, it would be nice to see that in SE.

Another little vid showing a bit of travel and the 'hyper' drive.

Edit: Warp Drive (perhaps)

Don't forget. Its all just bare bones and placeholders this early. Who knows what will be in the game at release. A very long way off yet. The game however is a time eater, very enjoyable even in its early state. Ships are time consuming to build and a pain to save at the moment (hit and miss). So I'm not building anything of value for a while. Just messing around, its great fun.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  13. chrisb Senior Engineer

Passing a few planets.
    A simple wip ship for now. Not going to build anything too indepth yet, got to see the game a little down the road first.

SW:
    *Huge speeds up and beyond 10c.. Now what is 10c some may ask.. Me included.. But all I know is its fast, very, very fast.. ;)
    *Stable flight at those speeds, with nothing exploding etc.
    *Hinges, rotors, lifts, well everything in the ship stable.
    *Building wise, SW is good, its not as intuitive in some ways as SE, but in others its better. It will of course settle into a very good system, I have no doubt.
    *Planets are big, very big. However not landable as yet. Not sure for the future. But with huge ring worlds and so on, I'm not sure we need the planets for landing. Its just nice to have them so huge, to add to the feel of 'space'. With absolutely no performance loss.
    *Blocks are varied and very good indeed. Light blocks work much better than the lights in SE. Plus there are glow blocks to add effect too. There are the conventional lights too, but I can see me using the light blocks much more.
    * No pistons as such, but lift blocks (sliding blocks), work better and with total stability.
    * Performance wise SW is great, over 100fps in all situations so far and its still being optimized..
    * Ring worlds are also huge and there are tubular worlds too (not found one yet), I have yet to land on one though.
    * Long distance travel in SW will be via jumping, the skybox however, will reflect wherever you are in whichever system. This has to be seen in the demo, for a fuller understanding and is very much a wip for the dev.
    * Building within systems could have very large travel distances without jumping. Travelling from place to place is much more rewarding in SW, than is most space games I've played so far.

Just a few things that come to mind at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  14. chrisb Senior Engineer

Experimenting with a ship in build. This will change (as always), but the basic ship is more or less intact, just needs furnishing. In skywanderers the interior can be built of 'lego' type small blocks. I've not tried these much yet, so the interior of this ship, will be a the first test of that system.

Quick update:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  15. chrisb Senior Engineer

Simple lift/elevator setup.

Edit: some rotor testing.

--- Automerge ---

I agree with you. When collision is turned on, then we'll see.
    Maybe I'm being a little over zealous with SW. But its a very good... very early access game. A game well worth backing, which I did.

I just hope that these things work as well, or nearly as well, when the game gets much further down the road and collision etc is 'on'.. Fingers crossed the dev is on top of these things.

I would imagine collision is off for us the players, but he test's with that and the rest enabled. Just by the way he has designed, say, the sliding block. As the design would fail instantly, if not tested that way. But lets see.

Till then its 'zealous' time, for me at least.. ;)

Edit: can't decide on colours.. :(

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  16. chrisb Senior Engineer

Just looking and messing around with turrets.

17. chrisb Senior Engineer

Something I'm loving about SW here and indeed still trying to get my head around. Is the fact you make more or less everything ship build wise, down to the smallest detail.

For instance 'doors', we have set doors in SE, which are great, however in SW, we can let our imagination run a little wild and have all kinds of doors using small 'lego' blocks with the mini hinge.

I have one in this video below, plus lots of ideas for others, inc ramps, hangar doors etc. It really makes a difference to be able to do this in-game, rather than use set 'door' blocks.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  18. chrisb Senior Engineer

Would be nice to see this in SE too:

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.