Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Small Grid Air Vent

Discussion in 'General' started by Dwarf-Lord Pangolin, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Classic Keen to put this in the game and not actually mention it. :p

So the last time I checked (month or so ago, I think), Keen had re-implemented airtight status on small grids so they could hold an atmosphere. At present, they no longer hold air (again).

As a lot of folks have said, the small grid air vent is likely there at least in part to allow players to draw air into their ships' tanks and engines. My question is: is the loss of airtight status intentional, or just a mistake?

2. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

They don't usually answer threads like this, so any answer anybody gives you is speculation.

3. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Oh, I know. But fun speculation! ;)

4. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Well, so long as we're only speculating, pressurized small ships might be something they plan to allow for later, but didn't want to give people the wrong idea about by adding the vents now?

I dunno.

5. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

My personal hunch is that it's a bug; pressurized small ships were reenabled earlier in response to overwhelming community feedback, so they know they're a popular thing. Additionally, the small vent has the same options as the large one; it can pressurize as well as depressurize. My guess is that if it were only intended to draw air in, it would only be able to do that.

What I'm really hoping is that one of the code wizards in the community can give a more definite answer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Xanatos Trainee Engineer

I've got absolutely no problems with maintaining pressurised small ships (while using mods).
    In fact, I don't think I've EVER had a problem with small ship pressurisation while using the Small Ship Mega Mod pack, even before Keen had implemented it.

Probably wouldn't play Space Engineers anymore if that ability suddenly stopped working, all I really build are stupidly-large small ship interiors!

7. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Hmm. I'm using the stock stuff and it won't pressurize for me. Maybe the problem is with the vent itself.

8. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I did not know you could put air vent on small ship *____*

9. mhalpern Senior Engineer

can you put doors on ships?

10. Eternal Visitor Trainee Engineer

I got it in my head that they could be used like air intakes to refill oxygen tanks while in an atmosphere, but nope, tried it and came up bust. would be nice though.

11. Calaban Junior Engineer

Maybe small ship air vents are more properly termed "air intakes"...

.. for atmospheric thrusters, more properly termed "Air Breathing Thrusters"

12. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Nah. Those already have air intakes built-in to the design; small ship vents are for filling airtanks.

13. Kovendon Apprentice Engineer

Test:
    -build a small ship air vent onto a connector with proper piping
    -lock small ship connector to large ship connector in airtight room
    -check to see if room fills with glorious oxygen

Results:
    Failure

At this point the vanilla small ship air vents just aren't functional. They neither pressurize nor depressurize a small room (the rear entry room on the Red ship) and the status light remained yellow.

With the popularity of small-block ships with interiors, I imagine they will be functional eventually; there's no reason I can think of to limit them to intake-only either.

14. Syd Trainee Engineer

I feel like I'm missing something.. How do you get in and out of the pressurized room of a small ship in a vanilla environment?

15. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

You can't, because you can't pressurize the inside of a small ship right now.

16. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

I doubt this because didn't they say before they didn't like small grid large ships? It would make no sense for them to be airtight if this is the case

17. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

How long ago did they say that? Do you have a source? Even if you do, how likely is it that they've changed their mind about it, like so many other things?

18. DDP-158 Master Engineer

No. That's why we had a thread requesting cosmetics for small ships like doors, windows, and bay doors. Speaking of which, I should look for that thread and give it a small bump.

It's from a long time ago and it's taken out of context. The devs never actually said they don't want large small ships or that they don't like them, they only stated that large small grids require more computing power hence the large grid.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.